Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Recommend your steam mop please

Think I might get one.  I saw pretty good reviews on the Shark Steam Pocket Mop, is there one better?

Re: Recommend your steam mop please

• I have the Shark Steammop and I LOVE it!  So easy and quick to use!
  • I feel like I have to pump my shark constantly to keep it steaming but maybe I'm doing it wrong.
  • Haan slim and light steam mop hands down.
  • I have the Shark Steam Pocket.  I picked it for the longer cord (30') and because you can flip the pad without stopping.  I also like that it heats up in like 1 minute (maybe they all do?).  If I didn't have so much hard surface floorspace, I would have probably chosen based on price.

The handle pumping isn't a big deal to me.  It pumps naturally as I slide the mop around.  Are you holding the mop by the end of the handle?  Maybe you need to adjust the extension?  I only have to pump it at the beginning or on stained spots.  Ok, I'm having trouble writing this post because my mind keeps going to a dirty place.

• image littlefootann:
    I feel like I have to pump my shark constantly to keep it steaming but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I've had the same experience with the Shark.  I got tired of it working sometimes and not so much other times, so I bought a Bissell steam mop, and it works great!

Happily Married since 7/2006
    DC #1 10/2008 TTC #2 since 1/2010
    Natural miscarriage @ 5w3d 1/2011 Chemical pregnancy 4/2011
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • srs5624srs5624 member
    image Mrsosh:

image littlefootann:
    I feel like I have to pump my shark constantly to keep it steaming but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I've had the same experience with the Shark.  I got tired of it working sometimes and not so much other times, so I bought a Bissell steam mop, and it works great!

Yep, this. I have a Shark. I loved it at first... now not so much. It leaves streaks all over my floors and it only spits out steam for a couple minutes before it needs a break to re-heat the water (to a lame temperature of 110* F - water boils at 212*F and dishwashers should run between 160-180*F to sanitize dishes).

So between the streaks, constantly having to stop and let the water "re-heat", and the fact that it nearly gives my cat a heart attack every time I use it (it sounds like a gigantic hissing cat when it spits out steam), I'm kinda upset that I forgot to put it out for the trash guys this morning.

Back to the tried and true vinegar/hot water on a microfiber mop for me.

• image beachbabe12:
    Haan slim and light steam mop hands down.

Love ours  

• The one that has the best reviews (on Amazon) is the Eureka 313A Enviro Steam Mop.  I think I will probably be going with it based on reviews alone.
  • I have the Eureka Enviro Steam Mop and love it.  It's super easy to use, easy to push and I usually just refill the tank once when cleaning my kitchen and powder room (tile) floors.  My kitchen is fairly large so I think it's reasonable to need to refill the tank.  Someone here (or on the Green Living board) did a very lengthy review of steam mops and this one was judged to be the best (by her and a few of her friends).  I was looking back in December so perhaps a search of the archives would bring you all the reviews.