Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Bathroom Organization

Re: Bathroom Organization

• What kind of bathroom do you have? I usually keep my jewelry in the bedroom because I don't have a powder room or anything like that.

I would really suggest re-painting it and getting all new accessories- shower curtain, rugs, towels, ect. Maybe now that it is just you, you can spring for something a little more feminine or "you".

I always look for home decor at places like big lots, tjmaxx, marshall's ect. I have found that they have really cute stuff to hang on the wall. Another thing that could add a personal touch would be to put some pictures in the bathroom. If it was a guest bathroom, I really wouldn't suggest it but it may add a nice touch since it's just yours. I am the kind of person that thinks less is more, so I would put items like jewelry under the vanity and then put 1 or 2 things on the counter.

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/33vlx6a.jpg[/IMG]
  • edited August 2013
  • First I would declutter all of those makeup and bath products! Go through all of it, sort like with like, and throw out anything that you never use, is really old, or is almost done (unless you can finish it up right away). I know you love the stuff, but really... how many bottles of body lotion does one gal need?

If you have a lot of counter space, you could get a pretty tiered platter to sort and display your smaller jewellery. You know, the type that they use to serve little finger sandwiches and such, like this:

(This is a plain one but you can try to find a prettier antique one if you like.)

I actually have jewellery stored in the bedroom because that's where I get dressed. I stuck some simple 3M hooks on the wall inside my closet to hang necklaces, and earrings are in my dresser.

If your drawers are jumbled, try getting drawer dividers. I'd store makeup either in the drawers if it's within easy reach, or a few everyday items on a pretty tray on the counter.

Under the sink, I like to hang hooks on the backs of doors for (reusable) cleaning rags, and then the rest of my cleaning products go under there.

A few other pretty storage accessories can go a long way to make a bathroom really lovely - apothecary jars for cotton balls or cotton swabs, a nice, refillable soap pump. But I agree with PP that less is more!

Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited August 2013
  • I bought a tie organizer to use to hang all my necklaces on. It hangs inside my closet and keeps them all tangle free. I also purchased metal storage holders that fit on the back of my bathroom cabinet doors from BB&B. They hold my hair products and lotions. I also have some storage baskets I use under the sink that help keep nailpolish and extras organized. PIB
  • Can you post a picture of your vanity or describe it?

Is it a single sink or a double sink?

What kind of storage do you have underneath?

I really love the look of a very clean, streamlined vanity with a few decorative pieces added for interest. The tiered stand would be perfect with a few 'art' type jewelry pieces displayed.

I always think of everything that needs to be cleaned whenever I think of re-doing our vanity. That usually is enough to make me put stuff away and organize it under the sink instead of on the counter. 

• edited August 2013
  • There are lots of accessories and pull-out racks that can be installed under cabinets. Try looking at HD or Lowes, in the home organization, kitchen or bath sections.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • image ring_pop:
    There are lots of accessories and pull-out racks that can be installed under cabinets. Try looking at HD or Lowes, in the home organization, kitchen or bath sections.

This is a good idea.  You could get something like this http://tinyurl.com/33zmv92 and put baskets in it to hold various things.

Also, if you have boat loads of unopened/unused products, why not give some of the stuff as gifts? Cosmetic products eventually go bad and it sounds like you've spent a lot of money on things you may not get to use.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • srs5624srs5624 member

image arlhello:

...find some cute baskets and/or something like that to organize my makeup, smaller jewelry, etc... 

You could use ice cube trays for small jewelry and hair clips. They're stackable so you could probably use a few of them in one drawer.

Product Image Tovolo Perfect Cube Ice Trays 2 pk. - Pink

• image CharlieHooper07:
    I bought a tie organizer to use to hang all my necklaces on. It hangs inside my closet and keeps them all tangle free. I also purchased metal storage holders that fit on the back of my bathroom cabinet doors from BB&B. They hold my hair products and lotions. I also have some storage baskets I use under the sink that help keep nailpolish and extras organized. PIB

Great idea about the tie rack!