Upstate NY Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Lots of good thoughts PLEASE

Sorry, this might be long.

As you know, I got laid off from my job last month. Obviously I applied for unemployment right away.  Well, because of my side business I had to fill out a lot of paperwork, and I guess I was too honest.  They told me because I check my website daily and that I get reimbursed for mileage, that I am not eligible to get my pay.  I asked for a hearing and then a few days later called the offices in tears because I hadn't heard anything and was told that hearings are 3 months out!!  I started to sob and asked if there was anything else that I could do.and the man suggested writing a letter to explain my case.  I explained to them that I only go onto my site for a minute or less a day to see if I have any messages, and stopped doing that once I got the letter (unless it was a day I already had a party) and that I should have been more specific about the mileage, because I claim it as an expense on my taxes - I don't receive checks for it. 

I called back today to see if the letter was in the system yet.  The woman suggested I call the hearings offices in Troy, so I did.  They had down that  wanted a hearing but hadn't received the other letter yet.  The man was very nice, but was honest and told me he doesn't know how quickly he can get a judge to look at it and that the hearings are actually being scheduled 6 MONTHS OUT NOW!!!  Now I really started to sob because we can't keep living like this with only one paycheck.  We are broke and I fear losing our house.  I just kept stressing to him, and he was very nice and very sympathetic, that I'm a good person, and I look for jobs daily, and that I don't like not working, and that my business is more of a hobby.  I also told him that what isn't fair is that I was just told by a locksmith (our front doorknob broke and I had to pay to replace it with money that was supposed to go towards bills) that unemployment sets up interviews for people with his company and they interview the people and are then told, "don't hire me because I secretly have a side business and am doing better with my that and my unemployment pay then if I worked for you."  This is so unfair that there are people playing the system out there and I can't get help.

This has to be the worst year yet for us.  Nothing goes right.  I feel like I'm always asking for help on here.  For those who know me, you know I'm truthful when I say that I'm a good, honest, hard working person.  I just don't understand why this all has to keep happening to me.  I'm so beside myself right now.  This has turned into a nightmare. 

Thanks in advance!!

Jenn

Re: Lots of good thoughts PLEASE

• I'm so sorry J. I'm wishing the best for you!
    Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks D.

I forgot to add that when I do a party I am again honest, and claim it as a work day when I do my weekly claim.  I need to start seeing proof that honesty is the best policy......

• I am so sorry that this is happening to you.  I hope that everything sorts out quickly, and that your faith in honesty is redeemed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh wow, Jenn.  I don't even know what to say other than I'm sorry.  And I know that isn't going to help the situation at all!
    My first haircut!

Severe MFI - on to IVF w/ ICSI

IVF#1-2: BFN
    IVF#3: BFP! - 1/24: ET - 5d - 2 blasts - 2/02: Beta #1: 16.2 ...... 2/04: Beta #2: 35 ...... 2/09: Beta #3: 401.5 - I'm pregnant! - 2/13: u/s #1 - baby boy, due 10/12, born 10/16! ...... 8 lbs 0 oz, 22 inches! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• J - I'm SO sorry girl!  I know this isn't in your field but my school is ALWAYS looking for sub teachers.  Pay is like $100 a day.  No insurance or anything but the money is decent and you'll be done in plenty of time to have a party at night.  Just a thought - hopefully this helps.  I'm keeping you in my prayers and I hope things turn around soon.
  • I'm so sorry for everything that life is throwing at you.  Lots of T&Ps coming your way!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so sorry! Sending you lots of thoughts and prayers.
  • I am so sorry J!  Always thinking of you!!!

I'm not sure how far you could get with this, but I work in workforce development and I have a contact that specializes in unemployment insurance (works for or with NYSDOL) and maybe has other advice for you.  Would you like her phone number?

• Thanks ladies!!

image tjmartin07:

I am so sorry J!  Always thinking of you!!!

I'm not sure how far you could get with this, but I work in workforce development and I have a contact that specializes in unemployment insurance (works for or with NYSDOL) and maybe has other advice for you.  Would you like her phone number?

J - I would like that number. Can't hurt to give her a call, right?  Thanks!!

• I'm so sorry you are going through this, hopefully things get straightened out soon:)
  • TinaL99TinaL99 member
    Tenth Anniversary
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this.  I hope things turn around for you soon!
    DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Oh no! I hope you get some resolution with this, or a fantastic job offer soon!
  • I'm so sorry, this is awful.  Another thing to try is contacting your State Assemblyman or Senator.  Most state agencies have Legislative Liaisons who only deal with requests from legislators, and they can sometimes get things sped up.
  • image olivia_eve:
    I'm so sorry, this is awful.  Another thing to try is contacting your State Assemblyman or Senator.  Most state agencies have Legislative Liaisons who only deal with requests from legislators, and they can sometimes get things sped up.

I agree with this route...i have heard of this working very well for people.

I'm so sorry J! 

[IMG]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l261/abba916/2011_100-1.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt11ade2.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image abba916:

image olivia_eve:
    I'm so sorry, this is awful.  Another thing to try is contacting your State Assemblyman or Senator.  Most state agencies have Legislative Liaisons who only deal with requests from legislators, and they can sometimes get things sped up.

I agree with this route...i have heard of this working very well for people.

I'm so sorry J! 

Thanks ladies, I just took this suggestion and left a message and an email for my Assemblyman.

• Thoughts and prayers your way. I hope you get some kind of help or find a job asap.