Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

And the daycare issues continue...

*sigh*  Why does this teacher lie?  Why does the director always back up her teacher when it's obvious she's lying?

N has very, very fair skin, so she has sunscreen to put on before they to to out to play.  Every teacher she's ever had has had at least 5 kids who needed sunscreen before going outside.  They put it on, no big deal.  N's daycares have always said they are happy to put sunscreen on the children if you provide it and sign a release.

Except this teacher.  Every single time I pick up N, it's right before they go outside.  A lot of times, I wait while she plays a bit (she loves their huge playground set) before we leave.  Every single time the teacher says to line up to go outside.  Every single time the kids line up, then go outside.  Never once have I seen them put sunscreen on any of the kids, and there are at least 4 kids who have sunscreen there with their name on it.

Every single time, I remind N to put on her sunscreen, take her over to the shelf where it's kept, then help her put it on.  Then, the teachers will come over and put it on the other kids who have it there.  Both of the teachers have told me that they always forget.  The last time I was there, another girl in the class came over to me and said, "My mommy sent sunscreen for me too, but teacher never puts it on."  She said it right in front of the teacher and the assistant.  They didn't say a word.  I told her that she should remind her teachers to put it on in case they forget.

Today, a reminder email was sent to the director to ask her to please make sure N gets her sunscreen gets put on before outside play time.  Her response was that she spoke to the teacher and "the teacher said she always applies the sunsreen to the children who bring it."  What a crock of crap.  That teacher is 100% lying and she knows I know it.

No need for advice on this one, just venting.  We're counting down the days until N is in a better daycare!

image Visit The Nest! Love to scrapbook!

Re: And the daycare issues continue...

• That would make me mad. Haven't they heard of skin cancer? My DS has fair skin that I'm sure would burn easily, but I always make sure I cover him in lotion!
    image "Evolutionary game theorists...ignoring beebees on the nest since 2005"
  • Could you put the sunblock on your child in the morning, before school? That way at least they'd have some on. Also, maybe send a hat for your child to wear when they play outside for more protection.
  • I'm giving you advice anyway.  I'd request a meeting with the director.  I would not give a reason (b/c I wouldn't want to get into it over the phone) but she's going to assume its about the sunscreen (and she should).  I would say that while you appreciate her follow-up and positive response, that you have witnessed on several occasions the children not being given sunscreen, have had conversations where the teachers admit they forget and have received comments from the children that they rarely get it.  This is all too much to ignore.  Someone is lying.  Either the teachers are lying to her or the director is lying to you.  And if they are lying about this, what else are they lying about? 

You have to really trust these people to leave your child in their care.  They don't get to play around with the truth on this. 

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • i was a preschool teacher for 6 years. i have to say that i never forgot to put sunscreen on the kids in my class that needed it b/c it was such an important issue. getting sun burned is pretty important to a lot of parents. i'd be the same way if i were you. those teachers need to get repremanded, or written up. sorry you're experience sucks. you can put it on her in the morning before school, but they have to apply it again in the afternoon when they go back out to play. good luck i hope it gets better!
  • I put it on my kid everyday before school.
  • She does get sunscreen in the morning, but after lunch, a snack, naptime, and two outside playtimes, it just doesn't last until late in the afternoon.
  • SueBearSueBear member
    Ancient Membership 2500 Comments Combo Breaker

I know that the teacher is acting badly, but maybe if you gave the spray-on kind, the teacher would be more likely to put it on?  It's a lot easier and less messy.  Obviously, that shouln't be an issue, but I'd rather do that and have my kid wearing the sunscreen and if making it easy does it, then that's what you should do.

The summer is coming and many colleges have already graduated.  The daycare should have NO PROBLEM finding a replacement for that teacher, at least for the summer while they find a FT employee!

• Now that you are this upset over back-to-back incidents, you will always be looking for something. It's best to start looking for other options for daycare.  Right now your chils is caught between a mad parent, a mad teacher, and an in the middle director. Not a good place for her.
  • image cheetah*run:
    Now that you are this upset over back-to-back incidents, you will always be looking for something. It's best to start looking for other options for daycare.  Right now your chils is caught between a mad parent, a mad teacher, and an in the middle director. Not a good place for her.

ITA.  Go ahead and have the conversation with the director, if you want to pitch one more reason why this teacher should be reprimanded, but regardless, I think you should go elsewhere. 

• N will be starting at her new daycare in about 3 weeks.  It's her old daycare and they are very excited to have her back.  There will be a conversation with the director and teacher on N's last day at her current daycare. 
  • image cheetah*run:
    Now that you are this upset over back-to-back incidents, you will always be looking for something. It's best to start looking for other options for daycare.  Right now your chils is caught between a mad parent, a mad teacher, and an in the middle director. Not a good place for her.

this. why is she still there if you are so unhappy?

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • image JillyWtP:

image cheetah*run:

this. why is she still there if you are so unhappy?

Waiting for the opening at the other daycare.

• This with your other posts sounds like a nightmare.  On N's last day, I'd burn the sh!t out of my bridges at this daycare and raise hell with the director.  lol.

Updated September 2012. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • sunblock should be given to ALL the kids.  not just the fair skinned ones.  the UV rays are damaging to all skin types.

our day care purchases heavy duty sunblock and asks each parent to contribute a $1 towards the cost.  you can have a special sunblock for your kid and not have to pay the $1, but there needs to be a waiver signed.  

• I'm sure there are more than 2 daycares in your area and if it's as bad as you say than why is your child still there.  Why are you leaving your child in a daycare that abuses her.  If all you say is true than you are also guilty of abuse for leaving her there.

All these posters might agree with you here but I'd bet they would pull there child out of this daycare if it was that bad.

Not my child, the teacher lied, you look for any little thing to complain about.  

Why did you take your child out of the first daycare that you are tring to get her back in,  makes me wonder if there is no space for your child because you pulled this crap on them also and they don't want you back.

• image RiRi157:

I'm sure there are more than 2 daycares in your area and if it's as bad as you say than why is your child still there.  Why are you leaving your child in a daycare that abuses her.  If all you say is true than you are also guilty of abuse for leaving her there.

All these posters might agree with you here but I'd bet they would pull there child out of this daycare if it was that bad.

Not my child, the teacher lied, you look for any little thing to complain about.  

Why did you take your child out of the first daycare that you are tring to get her back in,  makes me wonder if there is no space for your child because you pulled this crap on them also and they don't want you back.

Not at all.  The old daycare was great and even stayed in touch and invited N to come by for carnivals and things like that to visit her old friends and teachers.  N moved to the new one because it is a LOT closer to home.  However, it wasn't worth it, so she's going back to her old one as soon as the space opens up.  They are at max for Ns age level and one child gave his notice, so N gets that child's spot.  woo hoo!   If they didn't want her back, they wouldn't take her.

Yes, there are more than 2 daycares in this area.  And, as I've said repeatedly, N is being moved.  But why take N out of this one for for 3 weeks and then move her again (assuming we can find a daycare that will take her for only 3 weeks)?  She isn't being abused, she's just with a crappy teacher.  If there was abuse, she'd be ouf of there in an instant and the police would be involved.

I've never said that this daycare abused N.  I've said that they ingore our concerns and make excuses for inappropriate behavior on the part of the  current teacher.  I've said that her previous teachers there were excellent - some of the best I've seen!  However, this new teacher SUCKS.  She is lazy, can't teach well, doesn't do what she's supposed to do, and lies when caught doing something wrong.  The director tends to jump to the defense of her employees rather than really listening to the concerns that are raised.  There is a complete lack of trust in this teacher and the director.  That's a HUGE issue.  And to make it worse, this bad teacher is moving up to the 4 year old class in September, so if N stayed, she would have her again.  No way! 

Thanks all for the advice, only 3 weeks left to go!

• image katorigasuki:

sunblock should be given to ALL the kids.  not just the fair skinned ones.  the UV rays are damaging to all skin types.

our day care purchases heavy duty sunblock and asks each parent to contribute a $1 towards the cost.  you can have a special sunblock for your kid and not have to pay the $1, but there needs to be a waiver signed.  

That's what I was thinking. At our center, sunblock is the standard, not the exception.

image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers