Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone do much hiking?

DH and I want to get into hiking. We visited a state park and did quite a bit of day hikes and saw a lot more that we want to go do. But these would be overnight hikes (23 miles long). We have started looking into the backpacks that we would need along with sleeping bags for colder weather and wrap up pretty small. But I'm wondering if anyone does a lot of hiking that can give me some tips/tricks to know before we get started on this.

We are thinking of doing more hiking next year so I've got time to "stock up" on supplies and things.

My Blog If I hear someone denigrating a woman's body, I think, "Bow to the goddess and kiss my curvy, luscious a$$!" Visit The Nest!

Re: Anyone do much hiking?

• I don't know if you have an REI but I would go there and see what you can find and learn. Also see if there is a mountaineers club near you and you can go to their meetings and learn how to backpack and you may even be able to buy some used supplies from members. DH and both got really nice overnight backpacks and gear like first aid kits, small pots and pans and eating utensils, backpacking stove and hiking boots. Unfortunately, we don't have our sleeping bags yet or tent for overnights. It can be very expensive. We are hoping for an overnight trip next summer when we acquire more things.?
  • We hike a lot, but have not done an overnight.  Sounds like fun!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used to go on an annual hiking/backpacking trip and got most of our stuff at REI.  I also went to an info session at REI on what to bring and got some helpful tips. 

One of my beagles looks a lot like yours!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LOL, I work at REI. 

DH and I spent our third wedding anniversary on a six-day backpacking trip in the Weiminuche Wilderness Area in Colorado.  Man, what a great time.

Any good outdoor store is a good place to start.  REI rents many items, including packs and tents.  You might want to google "backpacking checklist," but be warned those lists can be mighty long.

Let's see if I can do this from memory.  The essentials DH and I carried were: tent (split between us), sleeping pads, sleeping bags, stove, cookset, water filter, food, some extra clothes, map/compass, headlamps, and two sporks.  Sleeping bags and clothes went into compression sacks so they took up less space.  We also brought a dice game called "Blisters" to play in the tent after dark or if it rained.

Backpacking is a really awesome experience - good for you!