Houston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP: Budgeting - cash system?

Hey everyone,

If you use some sort of cash/envelope system, keep reading please. :-)

My DH and I have been married for 4.5 years and have never really set & stuck to a budget.  It is about time!  So we set up a budget for ourselves to better manage the money that is leftover after paying bills.  We don't have any credit card debt to speak of, but we are saving for a house.  I am looking for feedback from those of you who have done some sort of cash-only/envelope system. 

At this point, we have set up:

Groceries/household supplies
Gas
Emergencies and/or big holidays (our plan is that we will put a small amount in this envelope each month and it will roll over so that when big holidays and/or emergencies occur we have a little padding)
Entertainment
Laundry (because we live in an apt and have to pay for our laundry in quarters)
And then each of us will have $25 to ourselves to spend or save as we choose

If you use a similar system, what other categories do you have?  Or do you think this covers everything? 

Thanks!

Re: XP: Budgeting - cash system?

• We've put ourselves on a budget also but use the computer. We have some similar categories.But we also have:

Car maintenance - annual inspection/registration, routine maintenance (like oil changes) and extra repairs

Health - Dr visits and Rx

Travel - we started saving for mini vacations or bigger trips

House Projects - new appliances, flooring etc.