Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

anyone train for marathon - treadmill only? nft

Re: anyone train for marathon - treadmill only? nft

• I haven't but Chirstine Clark the only american entered in the 2000 women's olympic marathon did most of her training on a treadmill in her basement in Anchorage.  I think because she was injured and because it was to snowy outside!!
  • I think it would get extremely boring -- especially without a TV -- but it would be doable.
    ~~run.around.aroo: The Life of the Wannabe Runner that Lives Inside Me~~
  • I would agree that it could be done, but that would be extreme boredom for me!
  • It can be done, but most things I've read recommend at least 1 run/week outside, because the terrain and climate is so different.  I'm actually more bored outside because the treadmills at my gym have tvs.  Also, put the treadmill on at least 1 for the incline to make up for the outside terrain.  I've been doing the C25K program mostly on the treadmill and going from there to outside hasn't been a problem.  Good luck!  (PS-Self Magazine had an article last month about half marathon training on a treadmill...might be on their site!)
    4 years TTC including countless tests, 2 surgeries, and one failed IUI
    Scheduled IVF for April 2013--SURPRISE, don't need it! EDD 9/6/13 imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I would only add that yes definitely use at least 1.0 incline, but preferably a variable incline to simulate outdoor running as much as possible.
  • I haven't done it, although I have done some longer run (15-17 miles) on the treadmill when it was outrageously cold.  It is very boring, but it helped that I was at the YMCA where there were individual TVs on every treadmill.

I definitely don't think it's ideal training, but I think it could be done.  I agree with above posts that trying to get outside for at least one run/week would be best.  The treadmill provides more cushion to your joints than asphalt, so I think you'd be hurting quite a bit after the race (well, it's a marathon, so you'll be hurting either way, but you know what I mean. Smile )

Good luck and happy training!

• It's possible, but you will go batty :)  I ran a lot of weekday runs and one long (12 mile) run two Boston marathon seasons ago on the treadmill because Denver had a bad winter.  But planning to do all of your runs on a treadmill will get old fast and you will probably not have the discipline to be consistent with your training because you will get bored!