Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I know this may be a no brainer but...

Tomorrow is my first day of work.  I am doing residential cleaning.  I was wondering what I should wear to make a good impression?  Is it even important?  I know I shouldn't wear something formal but I don't really want to be dressed in what I clean my house in...(usually short shorts and a tank top)  Do any of you have a cleaning lady? And if so, Do you even worry about what she is wearing as long as she does a good job?

Oh, the weather is quite warm here. 

Re: I know this may be a no brainer but...

• We had a cleaning lady (and granted, she was like 60 or something) but she would wear regular clothes, jeans and shirt or something, and change into a housecoat type thing to clean.

Maybe you could do that. Dress like you normally would, so they'll see you take care of yourself, and then change into cleaning clothes. Then, change back before you leave.

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2qjdl03.jpg[/IMG]
  •  That sounds like an idea. I never would have thought of that. :)

image aeg*5/11/07:

We had a cleaning lady (and granted, she was like 60 or something) but she would wear regular clothes, jeans and shirt or something, and change into a housecoat type thing to clean.

Maybe you could do that. Dress like you normally would, so they'll see you take care of yourself, and then change into cleaning clothes. Then, change back before you leave.

• What about something like medical scrubs? ?Those are lightweight and easy to move in but that takes an investment in money too. ?

?I personally wouldnt care what you showed up in as long as you looked presentable and by that I mean that you appeared to have good hygiene, put together, clothes were clean, etc. ?I would realize the type of job you are coming to do so I would never expect you to show up in clothes you would normally wear every day. ?T-shirt and shorts are ok in my book but then again I'm pretty laid back and can imagine now everyone would appreciate that. ?

Are you working for a company or directly for the homeowner? ?After the first day I would ask if they minded if you came in shorts and a t-shirt or what they had in mind. ?

• I used to answer phones for a cleaning company and our maids would wear jeans, tennis shoes, and our company t-shirt. We didn't want them showing up to job sites in anything too skimpy because, well...we weren't that kind of cleaning company and wanted to reflect a professional demeanor.

So, I would just wear jeans and a t-shirt that you don't care about. I would forego pants or shirts with paint stains or something like that on them. 

• I worked for a cleaning service last summer. Most of the people weren't home when we cleaned their houses.  We dressed casually.  The head housekeeper wore bermuda shorts and tank tops. Oh, we always took ours shoes off when we went into a home, too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My first thought was the scrubs that they sell at Wal*Mart. like PP said, they are breathable, roomy and a lot cheaper than ruining your own clothes. Just the basic blue or white would be nice, and professional looking.
  • i agree that scrubs sound like a great option, but i have seen a lot in jeans and a t-shirt
    Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • Just as long as your booty and boobs arent hanging out Im sure you will be fine. My cleaning lady just wears a t-shirt and shorts.
  • The woman who helps clean my parents house always wore scrubs.  I thought that was a good idea. Comfortable and professional looking.  She had a little tool belt apron too to stash paper towels, toothbrush for scrubbing, or hang a spray bottle on the side.  Pretty smart, imho.