Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

REALLY need help yall PLEASE...getting married this weekend

Re: REALLY need help yall PLEASE...getting married this weekend

• image jtjc:
    Why did you wait so long to get on the pill? You are getting married this weekend, like this Sat or Sun I'm assuming? And you just started the pill like a week ago? You need to give it time for the BC to get into your system!
  • image jtjc:
    Why did you wait so long to get on the pill? You are getting married this weekend, like this Sat or Sun I'm assuming? And you just started the pill like a week ago? You need to give it time for the BC to get into your system!
  • image jtjc:
  • image jtjc:
  • image jtjc:
  • image jtjc:
  • image jtjc:
  • image jtjc:
  • image jtjc:
  • image jtjc:
  • image ThenCaliSays:
    image inlovewithmyboy:

Ok ladies, first off, birth control is NOT 100% effective.  Secondly there are different types of BC, combo is the most popular.  Thirdly, there are different back-up protocols for different situations. 

So let's start with the "Sunday starter" on a combo, this means you started your pack of pills the Sunday post the beginning of your period.  You need back up for one week.  This type of start prevents weekend bleeding typically.

Then there's the day 1 starter on combo, this means you started your pack the first day of your period.  You do not need back up. 

Now, if you miss one active pill, you need to take it as soon as possible and do not need back up.

If you miss 2 active pills in a row on week one or two you need to take two pills for two days and use back up for 7 days.

if you miss 2 active pills in a row in week three AND you are a day 1 starter you need throw out that pack of pills and start a new one. Use back up for 7 days.

if you miss 2 active pills in a row in week three AND you are a Sunday starter you need to take 1 pill daily until Sunday, on Sunday throw out the pack and start a new one.  Use back up for 7 days.

If you miss 3 active pills in a row you are a day 1 starter you need to throw that pack out and start a new one use back up for 7 days.  You may not have a period this month

If you miss 3 active pills in a row and you are a sunday starter take a pill a day until Sunday and throw out the pack and start a new one .  Use back up for 7 days.  You may not have a period this month.

Again let me repeat there are different forms of BC and these rules do not apply for all.  They only apply to combination pills AND BC is NOT 100% effective.

This is information your pharmacist should be able to provide for you at any time, JUST ASK.

What she said! 

TRY USING ANOTHER BARRIER METHOD ~:

Barrier methods include the diaphragm, the cervical cap, contraceptive sponges and condoms. These methods prevent pregnancy by blocking sperm from getting into the uterus. Barrier methods must be used every time you have sex.

diaphragm - cervical cap
    A woman must visit her doctor to be fitted for a diaphragm or a cervical cap.

~>THE SPONGE TENDS TO GIVE INFECTIONS........
  • ..~MY personal experience....
  • I agree with those saying use the ultra thin condoms as backup.  It's what we used and you can't really tell the difference, although he might.  But, as someone else already pointed out, it might actually keep him from ending things prematurely.  Besides, you can use it as part of foreplay if you get a bit creative. Wink  Good luck with the wedding and I hope you guys have a blast on the honeymoon!

BTW...Dude, Cst2CstBride, lighten up.

• I didn't start on birth control until the day before our wedding.  I was also a virgin, and really worried the first time we had sex.  2 and a half years later we don't have any kids.  I didn't get pregnant, and like I said I didn't start birth control until the day before we married.  I chalk it all up to God's plan.  He told us to wait until we were married before having sex, and thats what we did.  We will have children when the time is right.  Don't stress and have a great wedding!

• I guess I shoudl have mentioned that he didn't use any protection that night either.
  • Yes, you need an alternate form of bc. However, if you don't use one, make sure that you go to the bathroom soon after he finishes. It's a wivestale, but makes some sense. Gravity. Not proven effective, but a thought if you REALLY don't want to use an alternate bc, as you should.
  • My dr always said it is not effective bc until you have had your first period while on it.  So, I would say to use a condom if you don't want to get pg.
  • A condom would probably be a good idea...just to put your mind at ease!
  • It's probably too late for this advice, but the answer is simple. Read the directions on your pill pack. ?If it says you need backup then you need back up. Otherwise you're taking a higher risk of pregnancy.
  • i would use one, just in case, if you really don't want a baby. when i staretd BC they told me i had to use it for a full month before i could stop using condoms.
    Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • If you don't want to go with the condom you could use a spermicide instead. Condom is probably your best option.
  • image gakester8:
    i would use one, just in case, if you really don't want a baby. when i staretd BC they told me i had to use it for a full month before i could stop using condoms.

I have been on BC for 2 years and this is exactly what my dr told me when I first started and then when I switched from the pill to the nuva ring. Too many of my friends have had opps babies. While I love them all and they all love their children, the timing was not always and the best time for my friends to have to change everything for the baby.

Ultra thin condoms are best and really great to have on hand in generally so you don't have to worry about whether you are in the clear or not. We still use them when I am really stressed out about things and know my hormones will be crazy. It is just another piece to help us be able to enjoy it and have peace about avoiding an unexpected surprise right now.

• The particular pills that I was on I had to for the first week if I had sex use a back-up method but after the one week (if you are perfectly consistent with taking them) I didn't need to use the back-up methods.
  • When I started birth control pills my OBGYN told me to wait at least a whole cycle just to be safe. I know a condom kinda kills the moment, especially on your honeymoon as virgins. But do you really want to have to buy a crib as soon as you get back?
  • I would not consider pulling out a backup method. I would use a condom or some other type of protection.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey girl:

Since you haven't been on BC for a while (usually takes a month or so to get regulated), I suggest using a condom.  They help to have your man last longer by desensitizing the feeling. I really think that's your safest option...GL!

~Live, laugh, love
  • Check the literature that came with your pill, but 7 days of taking pills CONSISTENTLY (once a day every day) will likely be enough to protect you from pregnancy (depending on the mcg in your dose and if it's estrogen-progestin or progestin only).  You should understand that some pills don't work as well during the very first cycle they're used, and there will be a small but real risk associated with doing this.  To be *absolutely* rock-solid safe you should have at least one cycle under your belt before tossing your backup method.

If your doctor has specifically recommended that you use a backup method for a month and you've verified that with your literature (hell, any pharmacist could tell you too), then maybe you could make a quick appointment to look into a diaphragm like a previous poster recommended.  Cervical caps are nice too, they're both inserted the same way and can be put in 6 hours before sex but cervical caps require a lot less spermicide which a lot of people like (you shouldn't use spermicide too often anyway, it can cause lesions or increase the rate of STI transmission).  But occasionally it's fine, just practice with it first (so you're comfortable putting it in and taking it out) and be sure to take it out 6 hours after sex.  Don't, however, use the sponge.  You might as well use nothing.  And female condoms make a TON of noise, so be prepared to use a ton of lube or just deal with the crazy squeaking.

If you decide to use a male condom, go with a fun shape or ribbing but NOT flavored ones (that's for oral *not* vaginal sex and you shouldn't be worried about orally transmitted STIs with your husband because I'm assuming everybody's nice and tested and trustworthy).  Polyurethane condoms tend to be lighter than latex (and more expensive of course), so I'd recommend those if you can get them.

Good luck!  Have fun!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh my goodness the person who advocated GRAVITY as a form of birthcontrol (strawberry something?)  needs to be kicked in the shins and sent back to health class.

I personally advocate the following:

1)  Listen to your doctor, she didn't get all that fancy learning for nothing.  Give your body time to adjust to being on the pill

2)  Don't marry someone you can't have an honest discussion about sex with.  

3)  Don't marry someone "unwilling" to wear a condom.  Unless the damn thing makes his penis swell to the size of a football and break out in hives, he's letting you know how important your needs are to him, and you haven't even married him yet.  this won't get better.

4)  A nickel says you are no older than 22.  Wait about five years, then try marriage again.

Seriously, people. If your faith in humanity is destroyed because your parents told you there was a Santa Claus and as it turns out there is no Santa Claus, you are an ignorant, hypersensitive cry baby with absolutely zero perspective. - UnderwaterRhymes
  • The month takes a month to take effect. If you don't want to get preggies, I would suggest using back up BC.
  • image sprky79:

Oh my goodness the person who advocated GRAVITY as a form of birthcontrol (strawberry something?)? needs to be kicked in the shins and sent back to health class.

I personally advocate the following:

?1)? Listen to your doctor, she didn't get all that fancy learning for nothing.? Give your body time to adjust to being on the pill

2)? Don't marry someone you can't have an honest discussion about sex with. ?

3)? Don't marry someone "unwilling" to wear a condom.? Unless the damn thing makes his penis swell to the size of a football and break out in hives, he's letting you know how important your needs are to him, and you haven't even married him yet.? this won't get better.

4)? A nickel says you are no older than 22.? Wait about five years, then try marriage again.