Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

RP: I failed

Total crazy confusing moment and I failed Sad

Police station called looking for SS's friend.  They got my # through the cell phone provider.  I forgot I had SS's phone on my plan and had no idea what they were talking about.  They said they were looking for a runaway and I freaked because I thought they were saying SS ran away (he didn't). 

She wanted to know SS's contact info so they could talk to him.  I gave his name (dumb me) and then realized that it was bad.  I told her that I had to call her back after I verified her info.  Good, right?  Bad for me because I didn't know any of her questions!  She wanted to know his address -- I didn't know it.  She wanted to know his mom's last name -- I didn't know it. 

Police woman said "you signed for a phone and you don't know how to find him?"  Embarrassed 

SO is away -- because of course he wouldn't be home for this.  I called my mom; I know it sounds silly but I was so upset that I didn't know what to do.  I didn't call SO because I didn't think he had phone reception.  She had the information because SO had sent her SS's school records for my mom to review.  While she was sending it to me, I got a hold of SO.  He called his son and figured out what was going on and then called the police station back. 

I didn't want to give the police his contact information without knowing if an adult was home. 

OMG.  I just feel like such a non-parental loser.  And SO was angry that I called my mom before him; I know it was wrong.  I feel like such an @ss because I didn't have any of the right infomation; when I did find the right info, I didn't know what to do; and I called my mom instead of SO. 

Re: RP: I failed

• I recognize the tenuous place StepParents have to maneuver.  HOWEVER, not having the contact information in an easily obtainable spot is just plain wrong.

What if something were to have happened to DH and SS at the same time, how would you have handled it?

What I suggest is that you and DH create an action plan/informational folder for SS.  Keep everything important in there, from BM's contact information (I have SS's Aunt's information just in case too) to medical information (blood type, list of meds, allergies, copies of shot records), school contact information and even some of his BFF parent's contact info.

This is something that my parents actually did for us as a "normal" family, just to be safe.  And it is more important in a Blended Family.

Again, you did not FAIL, you just did not have a plan in place. 

[IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu52/Iluminespics/IMG_4759.jpg[/IMG]
  • Thanks...  It seems quite reasonable to have all of that.  I'm going to make an emergency contact list.  SO probably has one but I don't and I should.

• image Ilumine:

I recognize the tenuous place StepParents have to maneuver.  HOWEVER, not having the contact information in an easily obtainable spot is just plain wrong.

What if something were to have happened to DH and SS at the same time, how would you have handled it?

What I suggest is that you and DH create an action plan/informational folder for SS.  Keep everything important in there, from BM's contact information (I have SS's Aunt's information just in case too) to medical information (blood type, list of meds, allergies, copies of shot records), school contact information and even some of his BFF parent's contact info.

This is something that my parents actually did for us as a "normal" family, just to be safe.  And it is more important in a Blended Family.

Again, you did not FAIL, you just did not have a plan in place. 

This would really be a good idea for all of us.  You just motivated me to get better organized. 

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • Sue_sueSue_sue member
    5 Love Its

This had to be very stressful; and a good opportunity to make sure everyone knows where everyone can be located, in case of emergency. Lots of people don't have a 'what to do/who to call' plan in place; and you got a heads up in a non-lethal situation on what to have together for next time.

In your folder/envelope/whatever, don't forget a recent photo of stepson. When kids turn up missing, police will ask you for one. You can also load ICE numbers in all your cell phones, and label them as such in the phone, so if something happens, whoever finds you and your phone can call the ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers you list and reach your dh, kids, mom, pretty quick.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • Good Catch Sue.  Blended Families my not have really current pictures, depending on the visitation schedule.

Something to remember.

[IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu52/Iluminespics/IMG_4759.jpg[/IMG]
  • Sue_sueSue_sue member
    5 Love Its
    See, and this is something your dh really should have done for you, so it's really HIS fault. LOL
    SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*