Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Distracted Driving

specifically texting/talking, do you still do it?

image Ridin dirty

Re: Distracted Driving

• No.  But if I do, it's just to let DH I am on my way home, and the call is ended. 

Texting - no, I'm not that good at texting anyway.

• Sometimes I'll text while at a stop light, but never when the car is moving. I'll talk for a little bit, usually with speaker phone on, but I don't like talking on the phone in general so that's rare. I try to be a good girl, honest!

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dctxu1.jpg[/IMG]
  • I'm distracted talking with other passengers and listening to music. lol.

I barely use it while driving, if I do, I have a hands-free device and am not on the phone for too long. No to texting.

• when i drove i could text sitting in traffic on my old phone but not on the iphone.

i do not bike and talk on the phone though. 

• image lachute:

when i drove i could text sitting in traffic on my old phone but not on the iphone.

i do not bike and talk on the phone though. 

I've seen people do this (talk while biking) and I don't know how they keep from falling over.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dctxu1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Funny enough i can bike easily with no hands but it just seems like to much when i add the phone in the equation.
  • i have no issue talking on the phone.  i find it ridiculous that you can't do that yet you can apply makeup, eat, smoke, dance and chat it up with your fellow passengers.  i am fully capable of carrying on a conversation and driving.
  • image ering1115:
    i have no issue talking on the phone.  i find it ridiculous that you can't do that yet you can apply makeup, eat, smoke, dance and chat it up with your fellow passengers.  i am fully capable of carrying on a conversation and driving.

Ditto, I talk on my way home from work almost everyday.  I agree that eating and makeup are much more distracting and my coworker even saw someone straightening their hair on the turnpike a few days ago.

DD: 6-24-11

EDD: 9-20-14

• image ering1115:
    i have no issue talking on the phone.  i find it ridiculous that you can't do that yet you can apply makeup, eat, smoke, dance and chat it up with your fellow passengers.  i am fully capable of carrying on a conversation and driving.

i agree with you, my car has bluetooth so i feel like its okay. but all the research disagrees:

http://www.psych.utah.edu/lab/appliedcognition/

to sum it up, research claims that our brains are not able to multitask like we think we can, and most of us aren't as good of drivers as we think either. the conclusion is that driving while talking (hands free or not) appears to have the same effect as having a blood alcohol level of .08 or you are 4x more likely to have an accident while talking.  texting you are at least 8x more likely. 

image Ridin dirty
  • i talk on the phone, but usually don't txt unless in traffic. i try to get all my calls in while i'm on 95 so i don't have to be on the phone at home!
  • I talk on speaker phone sometimes, but don't text.  I only text if I'm at a red light.  I don't see how anyone could possibly text and drive at the same time. 
  • I feel like doing anything other then constantly looking at the road is distracting, even music to a point, but it's in there. It just takes away from your reaction time, even for less then a second, and I don't think talking on your cell phone is any worse then music, I do both.

Ever since I heard the story about a guy who killed someone (he hit them) because he was texting his girlfriend, I no longer text unless I am parked.