Atlanta Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

s/o Wedding Etiquette

I just had a conversation here with a woman getting married soon. She has decided to invite everyone from her church to her ceremony but only some people to the reception. She wanted to know how to word the invitation to make that clear without being rude.

I think that is the rudest thing to do unless your ceremony and reception aren't on the same day. I know some people disagree but I feel like if you can't invite someone to both then don't invite them at all unless it's the case of doing the ceremony in one state and the reception later on at home or something. I told her that I didn't think she could really word that on the invitation. So, she has decided to invite people who are only invited to the ceremony by sending an email. Indifferent

Re: s/o Wedding Etiquette

• Holy crap. So basically, she wants wedding gifts but doesn't want the expense of extending them hospitality in return. What a douchebag.
  • Tacky....

I think being invited to the reception and not the ceremony is ok in some cases. Like I said the other day, two friends got married 2 years ago. The church was really small, and 90% of the guests invited to the church were family. They worded the invitation something like "family-only ceremony." They invited everyone to a lovely reception immediately following the ceremony. (and I do mean lovely with lots of yummy food, cake, and dancing!)

• I agree with Trish,

It's really rude to invite someone to the ceremony only!

• image Sadlebred:

Tacky....

I think being invited to the reception and not the ceremony is ok in some cases. Like I said the other day, two friends got married 2 years ago. The church was really small, and 90% of the guests invited to the church were family. They worded the invitation something like "family-only ceremony." They invited everyone to a lovely reception immediately following the ceremony. (and I do mean lovely with lots of yummy food, cake, and dancing!)

I think this is okay. I've been invited to a wedding where this was the case and I wasn't offended at all. I just don't like it the other way around b/c to me it screams "get me a gift but I don't want to spend any money on you"

• It's just wrong on so many levels and I don't get how people don't see this.  I've been invited to only the reception before but that's generally when in their specific religion, only family is allowed at the ceremony. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image champagnedreams:
    image Sadlebred:

Tacky....

I think this is okay. I've been invited to a wedding where this was the case and I wasn't offended at all. I just don't like it the other way around b/c to me it screams "get me a gift but I don't want to spend any money on you"

Ditto to both statements. Family only ceremony is ok, but not the other way around!

• i have several coworkers who didn't get why this was tacky.  they think everyone should want to share in their wedding...but not everyone gets to come to the party.

so. tacky.

• I hate weddings. I like to dance, but weddings and bridebrain could be the most irritating things ever.
  • Well in my tacky a$$ cousins case, she had two different sets of invitations. One mentioned the reception and one didn't.
    "HOW many US citizens and ranchers have been decapitated in Arizona by roving bands of paperless aliens, and how will a requirement that I have papers on me make that not happen?"courtesy of SueSue
  • We had a friend that did the same thing. Dad was a pastor and they basically invited the whole church to the ceremony, but it was a "family and close friends only reception." The did a receiving line after the ceremony, and I think they may have gotten a cupcake. Sweet sweet girl, really weird wedding.
    <div align=