Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Travelling to visit my husbands family

My husband and I are traveling to Italy to visit his aunt, uncle and grandmother.  I have never met them because his grandmother was not well enough to travel for the wedding.  We will be staying at their home for a week, they won't accept money for food, nor my help around the house (at least that's what I'm told).

I feel like I should bring them a gift but I have absolutely no clue what to get them.  I tried asking my FIL and he said to bring a roll of aluminum foil because they can't get it easily or something.  I will probably do that but I don't think that is enough. 

Any ideas of a gift/s that I can bring to thank them for their generosity?

Re: Travelling to visit my husbands family

• My ILs always want me to bring them Tylenol and crest toothpaste! I know it sounds funny, but that is what they want! they also liked any sports team related stuff...can't get Red Sox stuff there!

• This is a wonderful 'problem' to have; nice family in a lovely country want you to come stay and get to know them. Presuming they are charming, and I'm sure they are, you are in for a treat.

I love the idea of bringing things they can't easily get where they are.  I'd find out from FIL what it is they really like to do; and then endeavor to bring some things that will fit in with those that they cannot easily obtain. The foil is hysterical, and I'd bring that regardless.

Google "things you cannot get in Italy" or something like that, and see what you find.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • http://slowtalk.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=759607521&f=862600685&m=29610573411&r=29610573411

This link had some great ideas; I especially liked the silicone oven mitts.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • We have family in England and Ireland and just love having guests.  The best gifts are regional.  We like getting things from Harrods (English visitors) and Irish teas.  As gifts we've given fancy purses to (aunts and cousins) that were a big hit.  We're from NY so the guys love Giants and Yankee gear.  Clinique is a big win, too but I knew what that cousin prefered.  My mom once sent my sister with a honey baked ham that mortified her but they loved -althought that was more of a hit for the very-much-older generation.

Anything with an American name on it would be received well, sport teams, schools or retail stores.  If something like that has a logo, you can get whatever travels well - hats, blanket, bags, shirts, hand towels.  

I made an Irish Soda bread when visiting ILs in Canada that was big hit.  It travels really well.  So you can make something like that or buy a box of krispy creams at the airport. 

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • This doesn't apply to Italy (I don't think) but I remember reading somewhere that in the UK they can only buy NSAIDs like ibuprofen 24 caplets at a time. If I were visiting a friend in the UK I'd take a 500-count bottle, but then I'm a big fan of giving practical gifts like that (maybe in addition to something fun).
    fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • This is kind of off the path, but my friend went to China a few years back and stayed with the family of a friend of hers. She brought the hostess a small bottle of Chanel No. 5; an unattainable luxury where they lived. They acted like it was solid gold. 

• I once smuggled Velveeta into France for a friend who went to grad school in TX and missed "ze nacho cheese, is square and orange, no?"

The guys who come from Europe to visit DH at work buy a lot of Harley-Davidson stuff for their teen and young adult children for some reason.

• American candy is often a big hit too - see if they have a sweet tooth!
  • My family sends regional gifts a lot. When we hosted a family reunion weekend a few years ago my aunt put together a 'Buffalo Basket' of treats from Western NY. Let me tell you, it was a hit with my sister and me (we were fighting over the wing sauce).

For our wedding I made West Michigan welcome baskets for the family coming in from out of state. Local wine and other treats.

Apparently my family likes to eat...