Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Intro- Hi Everyone

Hi :) My dh just left for Ft. Benning Monday Morning for Basic. Tonight sucks :(

I don't want to bed, because I know he won't be there. It's hard to believe I've still got to do this for 9 more weeks of this mess.

Just needed to let it go. :)

From Raleigh, NC anything else you'd like to know, just ask.

Re: Intro- Hi Everyone

• You'll be fine, I promise. Take those opportunities at night to write letters and let him know how supportive you are, how you know he's doing great, and how quickly the time will pass.
    "So no, I
  • image JKICIAR:
    You'll be fine, I promise. Take those opportunities at night to write letters and let him know how supportive you are, how you know he's doing great, and how quickly the time will pass.

Ditto this. Write a letter every day to him. It will help both of you get through it, especially him. Though, make sure the letters are positive and upbeat. I know you're sad and hurting, but he doesn't need to worry anymore about that than he already is. You can do it, you'll be fine. 

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/15np005.jpg[/IMG]

3/?
  • image ericandmarie:

image JKICIAR:
    You'll be fine, I promise. Take those opportunities at night to write letters and let him know how supportive you are, how you know he's doing great, and how quickly the time will pass.

Ditto this. Write a letter every day to him. It will help both of you get through it, especially him. Though, make sure the letters are positive and upbeat. I know you're sad and hurting, but he doesn't need to worry anymore about that than he already is. You can do it, you'll be fine. 

THIS. It is SO important that you just keep it positive and encouraging. Like Marie said, the last thing he needs is to be worrying about if you're crying at night when he has SO MUCH going on and lots to learn and be responsible for at Basic. I don't mean to sound cold but vent to girlfriends, family, etc. Not to him in letters. I wrote 1-2 times every.single.day. and it helped me and he said it was what got him through. I started writing the day he left, even though I didn't get his address until the next day or the day after. As soon as he gave me the address I ran all of the letters (there were already like 3) to the mail with a card and sent them off.

"So no, I
  • image JKICIAR:
    image ericandmarie:

image JKICIAR:

THIS. It is SO important that you just keep it positive and encouraging. Like Marie said, the last thing he needs is to be worrying about if you're crying at night when he has SO MUCH going on and lots to learn and be responsible for at Basic. I don't mean to sound cold but vent to girlfriends, family, etc. Not to him in letters. I wrote 1-2 times every.single.day. and it helped me and he said it was what got him through. I started writing the day he left, even though I didn't get his address until the next day or the day after. As soon as he gave me the address I ran all of the letters (there were already like 3) to the mail with a card and sent them off.

Exactly. I just went through BMT with my husband and the letters kept him going every day.  

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • image JKICIAR:
    image ericandmarie:

image JKICIAR:

This sounds like me to the T. I don't mean to not say you miss him, but don't dwell on the bad things. Write letters about things that seem absolutely pointless to you. I wrote about my day, stupid drivers and people at my work. I kept him up to date with the current events and sport scores. I would cut out little comics that I thought would make him laugh and tape them into the letter. I took pictures of his family and sent them to him. Just remind him that there is life beyond what he is going through. 

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/15np005.jpg[/IMG]

3/?
  • Welcome.  My DH went to Benning too, and we'll be stationed there when he gets back from deployment.

I agree with PP... hang in there, and write him lots of letters.  I wrote C a letter every day from the time he left, and when I finally got his address about 2 weeks later, I sent them all at once, so he recieved about 14 letters in one day.  He was the envy of the entire platoon.  Smile

• My husband's best friend just left to Bennings monday as well! Infantry? 

• On the flipside of the letters, please don't get upset if you only get a few the whole time is gone. I was lucky and got anywhere from 1-4 every thursday he was gone. I got a few phone calls on weeks when they won challenges, were exceptional in certain areas, etc. But I know that isn't the norm. Some TI's don't let the trainees get mail out for the first few weeks, I've been told. It's all based on privaleges.

The important thing is that HE gets letters from YOU. If he finds the time (or his DS/DI (Idk what Army calls them, DS I think?) allows him to write you then GREAT. If not, he can't control that.

"So no, I
  • image ericandmarie:
    image JKICIAR:
    image ericandmarie:

image JKICIAR:

This sounds like me to the T. I don't mean to not say you miss him, but don't dwell on the bad things. Write letters about things that seem absolutely pointless to you. I wrote about my day, stupid drivers and people at my work. I kept him up to date with the current events and sport scores. I would cut out little comics that I thought would make him laugh and tape them into the letter. I took pictures of his family and sent them to him. Just remind him that there is life beyond what he is going through. 

Haha, ditto! I sent cards, pictures, kept him updated on AI and Hell's Kitchen, SPORTS, anything I could thing of to entertain him.

"So no, I
  • You'll make it through! The other girls have given some great suggestions.

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/5cy92q.jpg[/IMG]
  • image JKICIAR:

Haha, ditto! I sent cards, pictures, kept him updated on AI and Hell's Kitchen, SPORTS, anything I could thing of to entertain him.

I've got to remember that.  What a good idea! 

• Welcome! I'm Rosanna, DH is AD Army currently deployed. We're stationed at Stewart.
  • Hi Ladies,

Thanks for those good suggestions. I know it's been a while but a short update:

After BCT he stayed at Benning for OCS and has now graduated. Now he's at BOLC (which is AIT for officers) until March. It was really hard to have him away and even though I miss him a lot, things are easier now because we have so much more opportunity to see each other (thank you Skype!) and talk to each other.

Hope you ladies are doing well.

~m