Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Portland stuff

So if two pipe bombs had been set off five minutes from your house within a few months and the second one was hella big (at first they thought it might have been a meteorite), how worried would you be? And how awesome is this graphic? 

this is amazing 

Also, have our rather pathetic attempts at civic insurrection been making the national news? How long do have until my mil sends us 5 billion texts within two minutes just be sure we're safe from police horse shoving protesters? 

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman

Re: Portland stuff

• I'm ignorant  What's got the PDXers so steamed? 
  • I was going to be flip and just say "Rev Jesse Jackson", but I don't think that's true. I do think that a fair percentage of the protesters there are just excited about wearing black bandannas and yelling at the cops like it's Seattle '99.

Maybe the other pdxers will explain it better/have a different take, but to me the main problem is that we have a hyped-up, anxious police force mostly at odds with our laid-back, hippy city. And when it comes to black people, more than a little too quick to pull the trigger. Including the second instance this year when they shot a guy whose brother had died hours before, was suicidal and was coming out to surrender while on the phone with a police talker-downer person (technical term). I'm a bit pissed myself.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • I avoid the news so I know pretty much nothing about this.  That being said, we do love a good protest here.  We rarely need a reason.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • image CaliopeSpidrman:
    I avoid the news so I know pretty much nothing about this.  That being said, we do love a good protest here.  We rarely need a reason.

Well, hippies need some way of getting their exercise. 

I don't usually watch but I wanted to know what was up with the Loud Boom. The debris was found at the marina under the Sellwood Bridge and you could hear it from downtown. I'm hoping it was just overly ambitious teens upgrading from "cherry bomb in a toilet".

• I had not heard of the Portland unrest, but we're dealing with a 500 year flood here so I guess it would be easy to slip through the cracks.

I think in your situation I'd be concerned, but not as concerned as I'd be about riding the subway in Moscow.

• It's weird what makes the national news and what doesn't. Of course our newscasters like to claim everything is a "story gathering national attention" but we know they're big lie-y liars.

Sorry about your flood, I thought California was the state that was supposed to fall in the ocean.  Instead it keeps catching fire.

• Maybe someone was trying to encourage them to replace the Sellwood bridge?  I'm surprised it didn't collapse since a very large butterfly landing on it could cause it to topple.
  • If a pretty young white girl went missing in Portland, that would garner national attention. 
  • image CaliopeSpidrman:
    Maybe someone was trying to encourage them to replace the Sellwood bridge?  I'm surprised it didn't collapse since a very large butterfly landing on it could cause it to topple.

Dude, when that bridge collapsed and people were upset that it only scored a 50 out of 100, I just about wept. Try a 2 people, a 2! 

I'm sad no one loves the LOUD BOOM graphic like I do. Although, you know there was some guy pushing for BIG BANG.

• Yeah, we've had several police involved incidents recently, including 1) beating a mentally ill man to "subdue" him then not allowing him to be taken away in an ambulance that was called for him, resulting in his death from internal injuries later that day; 2) shooting a 12 year old girl with rubber bullets because she didn't pay her fare on the light rail and then tried to run from the cop; and 3) shooting and killing a suicidal (African American, hence Jesse Jackson's involvement) guy whose brother had died (of cancer? some illness) earlier that day. He was surrendering at the time. The cop that shot him (or one of them?) was also one of the ones that beat the mentally ill guy to death.

Apparently, there are accusations of rampant steroid usage going on in our police force. That, and most of them don't actually live here, they live in the burbs. It's getting pretty volatile.

The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
  • Are you calling Milwaukie violent? I think the problem really started escalating years ago when Vera (whom I otherwise admire) brought in a police chief from LA who had been involved with Rampart scandal. There'd been some problems before then, but it seemed like the community policing stuff might solve it.

I'd forgotten about the girl on the MAX. I also left out that after the guy was shot while surrendering the cops prevented his family or EMTs from aiding him. Now that I think about it I'm more than a bit pissed, but I also don't think shoving horses is the way to solve it.

• I think the Portland Police breeds an environment of douchebaggery.  Granted, it's hard to remain a civil and decent person when you have to deal with the people they do everyday.  But most of them are the jerkoffs who joined the military because they really want to shoot people.  I do not feel that way about our county cops.  And our state patrol people are usually just bastards because they're lonely and lack socialization.
  • No, not violent, just that the cops themselves feel detached from the Portland community because they don't consider themselves part of it. And it's not because they can't afford to live here like in Bend or something.
    The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.