Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Sam

You've been to India, right?  Did you love it?

We might be going to New Delhi but I don't know anyone who's been.  I know someone who lives in Chennai, but I already know what he'll tell me.

The nerve!
House | Blog

Re: Sam

• I have and i loved it and would go back in a second.

I was in the Southwestern part (Pune and Goa)  The Taj mahal is near Delhi and I really regret not going there.  

How long will you be there and why?   if you have time it is super easy and super cheap to fly to other parts and I cannot rec. Goa enough as a beach getaway.

• Sorry, I had an offsite meeting in the bayou, so I was driving.

This is our "big" vacation year, and we're thinking of doing a service trip.  It would probably be 2-3 weeks.  So we'll be working probably 8-4ish during the week, but have evenings and weekends free.  If we go to Delhi we're definitely going to see the Taj Mahal.  We'll also try to plan some side trips on the weekends, and maybe before and after.

The two locations we're really considering are India and a couple of options in Africa.  We'd really prefer Africa for a couple of reasons, but the cost for Africa would be about $1600 more expensive.  And we'd love to go to India too.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • if I recall, a weekend trip to Goa would be entirely doable, though you would be tired when you got back to Goa.    We flew from Pune-Goa with Indigo Airlines.   easy, fast.   i just looked up a Delhi-Goa weekend flight and it was $152.  If you have time before/after, thould DEFINITELY book a week or more in Goa.   Delhi Chennai would be about the same price.

$1600 would go a long, long way in India.

Goa beach:  http://goapackagetours.net/images/goa-tour-packages.jpg

• I want to go to there. That is gorgeous!

Thanks for all the info.  I'm definitely convinced it would be a great experience.

The main thing that has me leaning towards Africa is that we would stay with a family.  In India it would be more of a hostel type situation.  I think we would have to stay on separate floors, which isn't a deal breaker, but isn't ideal.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I'm 100% positive you could rent a room in a corporate hotel for a really low price.   i never remember money related stuff, but that's what we did for our week's stay in pune and it was CHEAP.  Staff were like family by the time we left.   i'll ask Andy how much it was.
  • I'm about 93% sure you can stay at the Girl Scouts' center in India.  http://www.sangamworldcentre.org/en/home

My friend stayed there on her trip to India and really liked it.  They have all sorts of activities and such to help you get acquainted with the culture.  More importantly, you have someone looking out for you to make sure you don't get swindled.

"That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Don't forget they'll have cookies there!

on a sidenote, what time of year are you thinking of going?   That may change things for you

• With the program we're doing, we're required to stay in their facilities.  It would be a PITA to stay somewhere else with meals, transportation and everything.  But we'll definitely look into those for before/after the program.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • As for time of year, that's going to depend on when we can fly cheaper.  I'd love to so it soon, but we'll probably wait until fallish so it won't be a billion degrees.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • Good plan.   We went in January and it was perfect.   the bride and groom had wanted to get married in late March but his parents laughed at the notion.  They figured the out of towners would melt.

This is where we stayed during half our stay in GOA

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g306995-d635995-r13013089-SunKissed_Resort-Calangute_Goa.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

It was a shithole, but we only slept there.  the other place we stayed in Anjuna isn't listed on tripadvisor.