South Jersey Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Please help me - re: NJ bugs

This is my second year living here (in Pitman - I'm originally from the southwest).  Can we seriously not have even a few nice weather days without biting bugs???  I already have several bites, mostly on my lower legs... did not see the bugs.  I was miserable last summer from them and couldn't leave the house without coating myself with stinky insect repellent.  What are the bugs (I think they are in the grass)?  ...and do you have any great suggestions on how to deal with them?  Even my kids don't get bitten up as bad as I do!  TIA!

Re: Please help me - re: NJ bugs

• There are tons of bugs in NJ, so I'm not really sure which ones are biting you.

If you got them after you went in the grass, that's probably where they are and they're most likely some kind of gnat.  Could be chiggers, but I think it would be alot more serious.

NJ has bugs.  Not much you can really do about it, but wear insect repellant or long pants.

• I am constantly bitten when outside. DH.. not so much.

I wear repellent everytime I go outside. It has become my summertime "perfume." Ha. I heard that the OFF clip-on fan thing works well, but I've never tried it. I always try to have citronella burning, too, no matter the time of day if I'm outside. GL. I feel your pain.

• I was really hoping you had some phenomenal local secrets to dealing with them... thanks anyway ladies!  ;)

• The clip on citronella fan thing works really well.  My friend brought it over with her one day and we sat outside and didn't get bit.  It was amazing. 

Chiggers like high grass.  To get rid of them try to keep your lawn really short.

• My husband and cousin spray this before every BBQ and it seems to work well http://www.doityourself.com/stry/beer-a-natural-insect-repellent
  • There's a flowery OFF that doesn't smell nearly as bad as the normal stuff.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image M&S07:
    My husband and cousin spray this before every BBQ and it seems to work well http://www.doityourself.com/stry/beer-a-natural-insect-repellent

seems contradictory to assume that beer will attract AND repel biting bothersome pests.  i will google to see whether rosemary oil is believed to be an effective repellent. 

• image lilylow:

The clip on citronella fan thing works really well.  My friend brought it over with her one day and we sat outside and didn't get bit.  It was amazing. 

Chiggers like high grass.  To get rid of them try to keep your lawn really short.

hmmm, our grass is always quite short, though I will check out the possibility of chiggers... and will totally try out the fan thingy.