Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dinner Party Menu Ideas

Hi -- I am having several people over for dinner in a couple of weeks.  My DH is a priest and we are having several priest friends, and the Bishop -- who is also a friend, come over for dinner.  Due to everyone's busy schedule, we ended up with a date that we have an event earlier in the day.  I am looking for ideas of a menu that I can either make ahead and then reheat or can put in the crock pot.  It doesn't have to be fancy but I don't want to do burgers and dogs.  Also, can't have cheese or mushrooms in it as two of the people are allergic.  Any ideas is appreciated.  Thanks. 

Re: Dinner Party Menu Ideas

• You could do a spaghetti dinner (or a theme of italian foods)

Do a search on Cooking Lights website- Spicy Honey CHicken-soo good paired with sweet potatoes and a green veggie

Also look on www.thepioneerwoman.com

• what about some kind of roast? Or cabbage rolls?
  • I always make Tortilla Soup when I have people over and am busy for the beginning of the day.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 pund hamburger meat

1 can of chicken (if desired)

1 onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, diced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon cumin seeds

1 can black beans and pinto beans (or one of each, or any other kind of bean you like)

1 tub of salsa (preferrably not picante..but actual REAL salsa)

1 can of corn

2/3 cup chile powder (or to taste...i like ALOT tho)

Salt & papper to taste

5 cups chicken or beef or vegetable stock

In a large pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat.  Add onions and garlic.  Once onions have become transparent, add the cumin seeds.  Toast for about 2 minutes.  Add meat and cook until well carmelized or browned.  Then add stock.  Stir a bit, then add remaining ingredients.  Cook on medium-low or simmer for as long as needed (you can keep this in a crockpot if needed).

Serve topped with cheese and cracked tortilla chips.

• I just did this for a dinner party last Friday and it worked out PERFECTLY.

http://goodthingscatered.blogspot.com/2008/08/casual-provencal-dinner.html

I made everything ahead except for baking the chicken (marinate the night before). So the day of, I reheat the tartlets (bake them), put the ratatouille and cassoulet over low heat to heat up, and stick the chicken in the oven. All done! And it looks like you did it all the day of.  hth!

I have lots more menus under the "menu" tag in there too if you need.

• Thanks for all the great ideas.  My DH actually asked for chicken parmesan so I think I will go with that -- sans cheese for the one person allergic to cheese.

Great recipes though.  I will definitely use those.  We are having the in-laws over for dinner the very next day so might try something for the next day.