Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Historical fiction recs?

I only have a few more books on my library hold list so I need to put some more on there! I really enjoy historical fiction, bonus if it's a series (Outlander, Into the Wilderness, The Other Bolyen Girl, etc). I will definitely take any other suggestions, though.

Thank you for any ideas!

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/nweg7b.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Historical fiction recs?

• I LOVED Molokai. I suggest that if you haven't read it yet.
  • I've read it, loved it as well. Thanks though!
    [IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/nweg7b.jpg[/IMG]
  • Catherine Coulter has a ton of historical romance.  There are a couple different series/trilogies.

http://www.catherinecoulter.com/text/books.htm

• Josephine Bonaparte trilogy by Sandra Gullard -- Three books based on the life of Napoleon's wife Josephine, beginning with her childhood and continuing through the French revolution and her marriage to the emperor.  A very strong woman with a fascinating life story.

Birds Without Wings by Louis de Berni?res -- Very well-written book about the war for Turkish independence, told from the point of view of various residents of a small village in Turkey.  If you've read Middlesex, this ties in very well with the early chapters and touches a on the Asia Minor Greeks and the burning of Smyrna.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie -- A sweet little story about a group of students sent to the countryside for "reeducation through labor" during China's cultural revolution.

I, Claudius by Robert Graves -- A fictional autobiography outlining the treacherous history of the Roman emperors from Caesar Augustus to Claudius.  Lots of murder and mayhem.

• I loved Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund.  It's about Marie Antoinette.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • City of Thieves - David Benioff
    image image image
  • I loved The Heretic Queen, Nefertiti, and Cleopatra's Daughter all by Michelle Moran. They're all historical fiction about Egypt. I was tired of reading about the Tudors and these books were a nice change.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a fan of Phillippa Gregory's Tudor books. 

I also recommend The Book Thief which takes place in WWII Germany.  One of the best books I've read ever.

Depending on what you view as historical another good read is The Help by Kathryn Stockett which takes place in 1960s Mississippi.

• I really enjoyed Allison Weir's The Lady Elizabeth. YesYes
    imageimage

My Badges:
    image imageimageimageimageimage imageimage image image imageimage image image imageimageimageimageimage image image                       

• Edward Rutherfurd's New York was a great read. I'm now on his London - just started, so I can't comment on it too much.

I also like Gary Jennings. He wrote Aztec, Aztec Autumn, Raptor, The Journeyer (one of my faves).

• you can also peruse the historical fiction shelves on goodreads. they have so many!
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • Alison Weir also wrote Innocent Traitor which is fabulous.

You can also try some of Carolly Erickson's books: The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, The Secret Life of Josephine.  I haven't finished the Mary, Queen of Scots one yet so I can't recommend that.

One of my favorites is The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper.  It tells Anne's story from Mary's POV.  It's done wonderfully.  My cat decided to eat it one day though so I have to replace it.

The Hidden Diary of Anne Boleyn is by Suzannah Dunn, I think.  I don't remember and it's been a while since I read it but I did enjoy it.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• I just read The Yellow House by Patricia Valney and loved it.  Set in Ireland in early 1900's.
    176 books read in 2012 17 books read in 2013 :
    Kristin's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • If you enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl, I recommend Wolf Hall.  It is set around Cromwell's rise to power from Cardinal Woolsey's aide to King Henry the VIII's advisor and the one that helps finagle the divorce from Catherine of Aragon.  It does a great job of the settings of Court Life, ans for those outside the Court.  Cromwell was a commoner who rose to the highest levels, and it an interesting viewpoint. 

It is a long book, but definitely worth it.  It won the 2009 Man Booker Award, so I think it will qualify for one of the SBC's lter this year.

• Check out my Historical fiction recs on my goodreads page:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/88106?

• From Fields of Gold, Charleston and On Leaving Charleston  by Alexandra Ripley (who also wrote Scarlett - the sequal to GWTW).  I couldn't put any of them down!
  • I enjoyed most of Philippa Gregory's Tudor series, although I am struggling with The Other Queen right now.  I'd stay away from her Wideacre series.  It was really lousy.  I devoured Peony In Love by Lisa See, and really enjoyed Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.  I can't wait to read her Shanghai Girls
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Jim & Kristen ~ August 19, 2006
    Follow Me on Pinterest