Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Making an exception (long)

I know I gave up the Nest for Lent but Ann told me she posted about Paisley and I wanted to come on to say thank you for all the good thoughts and wishes both here and on FB.

Last Thursday I was finishing up packing the car to leave for the airport and came back into the house to  get the dogs out of Niko's room and close the door so they couldn't go in there while I was gone.  Paisely was where I could barely reach her and completely unresponsive.  I had to take the mattresses off to get her out.  I thought she was already gone and jumped in the car to get her to my vet.   At that point it was 2.5 hours before my flight.

She was completley limp and not responding to anything when I took her in and my intention, if she was still alive, was to have her put down and go on to the airport.  She was almost 16.  My regular vet found a heartbeat and hooked her up to an IV.  Then he told me that she'd probalby had a seizure and was just sleeping it off.   I didn't go to vet school but I'm not stupid.  She was gone for all intentional purposes.  When I questioned him about that he told me if they just gave her fluids she'd perk right up and made a comment about not putting down a dog that was going to be just fine.

When I asked him how long it would take, because I had a flight to catch (wondering if I needed to change to a later flight) he got very short with me and told me he could treat her until the end of buisness (another hour) but if I planned on just leaving her that way I should just take her to the emergency room vet in Parker.  So after 45 minutes, lots of confusion and $300 for nothing, I took her to the ER.

I told the vet there what my regular vet had said and what he had done and she was confused.  It was well over an hour since I'd found her at that point and there was zero change.   She told me it was very obvious that, even if Paisley had had a seizure, it had caused serious damage.  I asked about having her stay for the weekend to see if things would change before making a decision and she told me she would likely be in the same condition when I got home and assured me it was the right thing to do and that I was not being hasty by making the choice then.  Especially in light of her age.  So, 1 hour before my flight I let her go after almost 16 years together.

With some insane driving and lots of sprinting I did make my flight as they were boarding the last of the passengers and then I bawled in the bathroom most of the way to Tucson.  I'm at a loss what to do about my regular vet though.  I feel like he was a real jerk and was either blowing smoke up my ass about her condition or else he's just clueless.  When I asked him about putting her down he really made me feel like I was a horrible person for even thinking it.   I feel like I didn't get enough time with her when she passed because he essentially refused to do it and made me go elsewhere for something that was so obvious. I really don't feel like I trust him to take Rocco there any more.

Anyway, I just came home to only one dog for the first time in 14 years and  it just feels wierd.  Too quiet.  Haven't figured out what I'm going to tell N when he comes home tonight either.  But mostly, I just wanted to say thanks to the Nesties though. I miss you ladies and will be back in a few more weeks.

ETA: Despite the horrible beginning, Tucson was good.  I really needed to be with my horse and other animal people after that and was able to make the best of some time away to at least be still and reflect.   I'm glad I did still go.

Re: Making an exception (long)

• I'm so sorry, Cyn. 

You went above and beyond making sure that Paisley had great quality of life, and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn by saying that your vet sounds like an a$$.  I wouldn't take Rocco back there.

I know the feeling all too well of coming home from a trip to only one animal and the house feeling "empty."  It does get easier, but it's never quite the same.  16 years is a long time to have a fur baby.

That being said, I'm sure Rocco was thrilled to see you!

Think about coming to ESCC tonight.  Smile 

I Need Coffee!!!

noah.zach.cole

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10732;130/st/20120630/e/we+move+back+to+Florida/dt/-2/k/cf6b/event.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • Left HugLeft Hug I am so sorry you had to go through and deal with all that. I don't think I'd trust the vet either. A family member's illness and death is a very sensitive matter and the vet shouldn't have treated you that way. I would probably consider looking elsewhere too in your shoes.
  • your post just made me cry:(
    [IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/35cev4m.jpg[/IMG]
  • I'm sorry for your loss.  :(

As for the vet, I'd find a new one.

A big old middle finger to you, stupid Nest.
  • Big hugs to you, Cyndi. I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Big hugs. 

I would good elsewhere for Rocco.  And I would consider writing a note to the vote commenting on "beside" manner.  You had no need to feel guilty about putting down an unresponsive, 16 yr old dog  Would have been completely different had she been 4 or 5, but 16?  And obviously on her death bed? 

• I am so sorry for your loss :( 

I would definitely get a new vet. Not sure where you go, but we have been really happy with our vet in Aurora. If you want the name, let me know.  

• I'm very sorry for your loss. I would definitely find a new vet - there are hundreds of vets in the Denver metro and most of them would be far more compassionate and understanding.

I thought you said you deleted your FB?

• I'm so sorry.  And I agree, I would get a new vet.  They way he treated you was not right.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh, Cyndi-I'm so very sorry.  That is just heartbreaking.  And your vet...taking a devastating event and making it even worse is just inexcuseable.  I would definitely go elsewhere.  I'm so, so sorry.   (((Hugs)))
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10723;104/st/20090512/n/Sweet Baby D%21/dt/-2/k/aabd/age.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • Huge hugs.  I am so so sorry.  I know how very good you are to your pets.
    [IMG]http://charliesweblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_9813-copy.jpg?w=452&h=800[/IMG]
  • I'm so sorry about Paisley.  Another vote here for finding a new vet.  I can't believe how you were treated.
  • I am so, so sorry, and even more sorry that your vet made everything harder for you.  You know your dog and you knew she was already gone.  I am absolutely sure you made the most loving decision.  You've definitely been in my thoughts this week. *hugs*

• Wow I am so sorry for your loss and that you didn't get to spend more time with her before she left. I agree with the pp's, find another vet. 
    Anniversary
    *photo removed*
  • Lots of hugs!  I'm so sorry for your loss. 
  • So sorry. Hugs.
  • I am so sorry for your loss!

I think you do need a new vet.

DS 09/08

i-QrTjQpv-L.jpg</p

• Cyndi, I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else, I would find another vet. He doesn't sound like he was supportive AT ALL in a time when you needed someone that would be.
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • PS I'm looking forward to Lent being over so you can come back, I miss seeing your posts!!
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • big (hugs)! I am so sorry for your loss.
    My beautiful girls: Hadley 9.28.06, Emmerson 11.29.08 and Pilar 2.07.11, born premature at 33.3 weeks.
  • I am so sorry.  Good luck with Niko tonight.  And, if it were me, I'd be looking for a new vet.
  • I'm so sorry that your last moments with Paisley had to be so awful. I'm another vote for a new vet.

::HUGS::

PHOTOS REMOVED

• I am beyond furious that the vet spoke to you like that.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  
  • I am so sorry for your loss

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh Cyndi, I am so so so sorry!  I can't even imagine what a whirl-wind that must have been.  My heart just breaks for you, and for Rocoo and for Niko.  If there is anything I can do . . . .  you just say so!
    Photo by: Ann Goldenberg

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2gvmvqb.jpg[/IMG]

The Holbrook House
  • How awful for you--I'm so sorry! Huge hugs!
    Eric and Amanda 9.1.07
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cyn, I'm so sorry for your loss.  And I'm so sorry for the a-hole vet experience.  I would be taking Rocco elsewhere after an experience like that. 

We are pet-free at this point (unless you count the dumb fish), but I have always had animals and my gut reaction to them says EVERYTHING about the care I've gotten after an icky or an amazing experience!!  I'm sure the girls can rec a good vet in your area.

And ... good for your for sticking to your Lent resolutions (today aside, of course)!  Don't think I could do it.

• I'm so sorry about Paisley, Cyndi.  I would definitely look for another vet.  I can't believe the way he treated you and Paisley.  
    Mr. & Mrs. est. July 2007 Mama est. April 2010