Trouble in Paradise
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

TIP BC - Voting for March!

I'll do another badge and announce the winner around noonish on Tuesday.

now voooote!

[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: TIP BC - Voting for March!

• ::butting in::

I thought that the books for TIP BC were going to be classics???  I thought HS made a big deal about they have to be classics???

Just wondering!!

::butting out:: 

• I think I was more adamant they not be geigh ass Oprah book club picks with a warm fuzzy message.

Click me, click me!
  • Mmmmmbooksnomnom.

[IMG]http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv105/gaultry/brick1-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Pretty sure all of these have a 'classics' feel to them (though like I've said, I'm not familiar with Revolutionary Road, but MG both vouched and said she wouldn't braid my hair if I didn't put it in the poll).  While they may not use the highfalutin dialect of, say, Dickens, they are all considered literature, and they all have brilliant use of subtext, literary device, etc.

FTR, Kerouac's The Road, Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Crichton's Andromeda Strain would all be classics, even though I don't think they'd necessarily be called 'literature' at this point.  So would Pynchon, certain works by Ken Kesey and Neal Stephenson, and I could even make a strong case for Joe Brainard's "I Remember," long poem, if it seemed like something anybody on TIP would be interested in reading at all, lol (it's an amazing poem if you're into that kind of thing).  We could read Shakespeare or Aphra Behn or something translated by Seamus Heaney too, if we wanted.  Like HS said more concisely, we're just trying to avoid schlock, and the 'classics' label is a good way to describe that without writing an essay.  Or, yanno... with writing an essay, heh.

You're totally welcome to read along with us, as always.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The Handmaiden's Tale should be considered a classic. But because I've already read it- I voted for Revolutionary Road.  I'm not even involved in this BC.  LOL!
    Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes