Trouble in Paradise
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Holy Sh!t

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35615455/ns/world_news-americas/?gt1=43001

If Chile can be rocked by an 8.8 magnitude earthquake, I see California being hit with something equally as big.  

And can you imagine a wave towering at 131-feet???  

Re: Holy Sh!t

• So... what you're saying is that I should figure out a way to get out of my two trips to California in March and April?

I'm joking...

I cannot imagine witnessing a natural disaster of that magnitude, or of any magnitude really. I live in western PA  and not a lot happens here aside from the occasional tornado and the daily rainfall and cloudy skies. Seriously, a 131 foot wave? Holy sh*it! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gone-what part of Cali are you coming to?
  • That's horrible.  Hopefully the tsunami warnings get people prepared for what might happen later today.  A 131 foot wave is terrifying though
    Natural m/c @ 6 weeks - 3/1/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image kmlluvnmh:
    Gone-what part of Cali are you coming to?

San Francisco in March and LA in April.

• My director's family is there.  I hope they're okay.
  • They have sounded the tsunami warnings in Hawaii and are evacuating people in the lower coastline. I have family in Hilo that like 1 mile from the coast and the lines are busy.
    [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/90xcaw.jpg[/IMG]
  • Let me know if you need any fun-time advice for San Francisco!
  • image fussbucket:
    Let me know if you need any fun-time advice for San Francisco!

Thank you for the offer! I will be staying downtown at the Marriott Marquis (4th street).

I'm not sure yet if I will have any down time at all because I'm going for a gyn/onc conference and those things are packed with crap I have to do - but if you know of any good restaurants or cool stuff to do within walking distance I'd love to know "just in case."

Thanks again Smile

• You got it! I used to work near there for many years so I'm very familiar with the neighborhood. Here are some of my faves around there:

Fun: Bowling at Yerba Buena Center

Snazzy drinks & appetizers: XYZ at the W hotel

Relaxing pub: The Chieftain

Old school: Hotel Utah  (good for a group, would be a long walk by yourself)

Cheap Vietnamese: Tu Lan -- don't freak, the neighborhood looks a lot shadier than it actually is

Classic SF burrito: Cancun -- ditto neighborhood advice above

Chinatown adventure: Sam Wo -- great walk there will take you through Union Square and Chinatown -- my mom used to eat here in college!

Only-in-SF Night Out: The Mint -- quick streeetcar ride to the Castro

As an alternative to the Metreon (don't waste your time in there if you can help it), head to the Ferry Building -- it's a quick streetcar ride from Powell to Embarcadero. Try Taylor's Refresher or takeout from the Slanted Door.

• Wow, thanks, Fuss! I just copied your post and emailed it to myself. I hope I get the chance to check some of those places out. Especially the Vietnamese food. Yum!

And, I must admit I'm quite curious about a classic SF burrito...