Starting Over
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

SS: Fairy tales, myths, and legends

Many novels of high fantasy borrow from the traditional stories of fairy tales, myths, and legends. The dog Fluffy which guards the trapdoor at Hogwarts School resembles Cerberus, the three-headed dog which guards the underworld of Greek mythology. What other creatures from traditional tales are paralleled in the story? How does each of these creatures play a pivotal role in advancing the plot?
Marshmallow

Re: SS: Fairy tales, myths, and legends

• (I know exactly where you got these questions from!)

Obviously the centaurs. The difference is that JKR depicts them as seeing themselves as above humans, wherein mythology they are often represented as struggling to overcome their animal nature and reconcile their human selves to their animal selves. 

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/34pclz7.png[/IMG]
  • Maybe that's the explanation for the Sasquatch and yeti that we humans "see" from time to time.  They're giants. 

Don't forget Nicolas Flamel and the Sorcerer's Stone.  There is a myth based on that.  I've read about it in other places.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• I'm only guessing becuase I can't remember much form my Myth & Religion class but is the phoenix a popular creature in traditional mythology? I would assume. So is the gryffindor, right?

• The gryffin is as is the phoenix.  Agrippa was also rumored to be a powerful witch and she appears on the Chocolate Frog cards.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• image RevJen:

Don't forget Nicolas Flamel and the Sorcerer's Stone.  There is a myth based on that.  I've read about it in other places.

Duh. I knew there was a big one I was forgetting. There's actually another YA fiction series based on this. The first one is called The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel.

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/34pclz7.png[/IMG]
  • Merlin was also mentioned on a chocolate frog card, and he was obviously the wizard in the King Arthur/Camelot legends.

Personally, I love how Rowling intermixes these mythical beasts and persons into her work. It really makes it fun for these things and people to "exist," just that we the muggles are totally clueless. I think it adds a lot of dimension to her storytelling.

Books read in 2012: 49
    my bookshelf!
    Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Bloggy
  • Nicholas Flamel is a real person who attempted to make a real Philosophers Stone, which would turn lead into gold.  I think it's pretty interesting how JKR took a factual piece of little known history and changed it just enough to fit into the story.