October 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Juangela & Techies

After reading your blog post the other day about the electronics vs a real book, I do totally I agree that the smell and feel of a book is unreplaceable. However I am a techie as well and I am looking at buying a Sony Reader, Kindle, or IPAD. Not that it will ever replace real books in my life or my frequent visits to the book store but it would be very convenient in my life and I like the fact that its paperless. So my question for you and everyone else that reads this post is:

Which do you recommend?

Pros/Cons of all three

Anyone have any of the three or know anyone that does, and how do you/they like it??

Re: Juangela & Techies

• I am interested in knowing this too.  I read somewhere that the updated model of the kindle eliminated some features that people really liked (... and that it has a dimmer backlight?).  I read up on the Amazon.com reviews.

• I actually don't have an e-reader of any kind, minus the stanza app on my iPhone (which I HATE because it is too small).

My friend Andy commented on that post in my blog with some technical issues (Amazon deleting books off of people's Kindles without them knowing), but those are still pretty general in terms of selecting a reader.

I would recommend checking out c-net.com's reviews of e-readers. I generally trust their opinions and DH and I always go there for reviews before making any big tech type purchases.

• I've never had anything like that but if I was getting something for that reason I think I'd want the IPAD.  Mainly because I know Apple products are good quality, fun to use, and if anything did happen to it you could take it to any Apple store OR any computer service desk. 
  • I'm actually not that impressed with the iPad.  It's lacking in a lot features for the price they're asking. 
  • With the iPad, it depends what you are looking for. If you want a bookreader, I would recommend something that just does that and does it well. The iPad is trying to be too many things to too many people and I think it will go the way of the MacBookAir...cool design, but not so useful.
  • image juangela:
    With the iPad, it depends what you are looking for. If you want a bookreader, I would recommend something that just does that and does it well. The iPad is trying to be too many things to too many people and I think it will go the way of the MacBookAir...cool design, but not so useful.

This is pretty much what everyone expects.  Everyone waited for this thing to come out for years and it just isn't what anyone expected.  DH sells computers and electronics (including bookreaders) and he and his coworkers basically tell people it's a fancy bookreader/netbook since there's no great way to describe it.  Still, if I had the money it would be a cool toy to have and if I wanted a bookreader I'd probably use that as an excuse to get one. 

• Well as much as you'll pay for other readers you can almost get an ipad, and I do think Apple is going to dominate as far as quality of product. I am leaning toward the ipad but I am going to go to the apple store and play with one for a bit before I invest and it won't be til April because I am hoping to get one as for my b-day as a present to me for all my hardwork this semester (well that is if I keep it up) haha I also looked at the options and views of the Ibooks and it seems way better than the others as far as just he program its self goes.
  • @Juangela- I loved your last blog post. I have such mixed feelings about my eReader. I love it alot but I also love the feeling I get walking through our public library. Is better then walking into any store. I love looking at cover art and reading the book jacket to find out what lies inside the pages!

With that said I also love my Sony eReader. Mostly because I can read it anywhere and it's light and compact. If I get a hard cover book from the library i'm hesitant to take it to work because it's heavy and takes up to much room in my lunch bag. With the eReader that's not a problem. Also if I am reading 2 or 3 things as once I can carry them all and switch back and forth easier. I can also lay it down on the table and read it without having to hold it open.

The version of the eReader I have though is strictly for books. You can get one that supports other text documents and plays music but that wasn't really important to me. It's also not back lit but that's kinda ok to since I probably wouldn't be reading it in the dark (unless i'm a passenger in a car). Also it helps the battery last longer by not being back lit.

Photobucket
  • I would definitely get the ipad, because it also lets you watch movies, browse the internet, check email, store all types of files, acquire ebooks from free libraries or your own computer using apps like stanza, plus you can use all the other apps that apple has.

I have heard great things about e-ink technology though, and the ipad doesn't have that. So if your eyes fatigue from a computer screen or you only want to buy and read ebooks, another reader is probably a better choice.