Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mini dessert recipes?

I posted this question on the What's Cooking board, but thought this would be a good place too.  :)  I'm throwing my sister a bridal shower this weekend, and I'd like to make some mini desserts rather than a cake.  I thought something like mini brownies, mini cheesecakes, etc.  I'd like to make 2-3 things.  Any recipe suggestions?

Re: Mini dessert recipes?

• mini fruit tarts, mini canollis
  • Another idea.....

Make sheet cake(s) and then use ring molds (or anything round) to cut out circles in different sizes and then fill/frost them to look like individual mini wedding cakes.

• Mini Cheesecakes are great and easy to make. 

Mini Cheesecakes

Print Recipe

Ingredients

• 12 low-fat vanilla wafers

• 3 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature

• 12 oz. fat-free cream cheese, at room temperature

• 1/2 cup sugar

• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

• 2 eggs

• cherry pie filling

Nutritional Info

Fat: 4.4g
    Carbohydrates: 14.4g
    Calories:120.6
    Protein: 6.0g

1. Preheat oven to 350? F. Line muffin tins with 12 foil cupcake papers. Place a vanilla wafer in the bottom of each cupcake paper.

2. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and fat-free cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla and mix well. Add eggs and beat until smooth.

3. Pour cheesecake mixture into muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until centers are almost set. Cool. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

4. Decorate cheesecake tops with cherry pie filling.

Makes 12 cheesecakes/servings.

• How about red velvet and/or oreo truffles? Messy, but easy and super yummy!

Red Velvet Cake Balls
    from?Bakerella

1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
    1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
    1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate)
    wax paper

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
    2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)
    3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet.
    4. Chill for several hours - make sure they are really firm. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)
    5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
    6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra - two forks also works great if your chocolate is warm enough.)
    7. Drizzle with extra chocolate bark (I used melted semisweet chocolate to drizzle on top.)
    ?
    Oreo Truffles
    adapted from?Bakerella

1 package (18 oz.) Oreo cookies, crushed into small pieces
    1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
    1 package Almond Bark
    Chocolate chips or chocolate bark for drizzling

Mix crushed Oreos and cream cheese until well-combined. The best way to do this is using your fingers - it will be messy! Roll into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet or tray. Refrigerate until firm, 3-4 hours (or stick in the freezer for about an hour).

Melt white almond bark according to package directions. Using 2 forks (or a spoon, but forks always work better for me), dip Oreo balls into white coating and place onto waxed paper to harden. Once dry, melt chocolate bark (or if using chocolate chips, melt chocolate chips with a bit of shortening) and scoop melted chocolate into a ziploc baggie. Snip a very small corner off the bag and drizzle back and forth over the truffles. Let dry. Chill them and serve after chilled (they taste best cold!).

?

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • how about some mini fruit cups?  You can purchase the dark or milk shocolate dessert cups already made, and just add custard or pudding and some fresh fruit and a sprig of mint each, and theres no cooking involved.  Also try making mini-flan by using a regular flan recipe, but use cup-cake pans to make the minis.  Stawberry shortcakes are also easy!  I make them using pre-made biscuits (that come in yubes..haha so appetizing i know!)instead of shortcake, and just coat the biscuits in sugar prior to baking.  Then while the biscuits are in the oven, I cut up fresh strawberries and add a bit of sugar and leave in a bowl (you can add red wine to this to break down the strawberries quicker).  Top baked biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream, but allow the biscuits to cool a bit prior to topping them.
  • I really need to spell check before I post...

shocolate??!!!

• tulips71 - I tried your recipes - oh so good!!!!  The cake balls are now my new favorite treat.

Thanks

• Ok, I just read the Cake Balls and Oreo Truffles recipes and they sound SO good!  I will definitely have to try those!