Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How often do you use your China?

My DH and I were lucky enough to recieve all of our place settings and some of our serving pieces.  I'm glad to have them all but the other day while at Macy's I noticed another set that was less than half the price of mine and just as beautiful.  It was basically just an older line.

Everyone keeps telling me you never use your China and I know that I could buy the whole set of the other one and still have beautiful China and more credit to spare to buy other things we may need.

I was just wondering how often everyone used their China and for what occasions?  I never wanted to listen to anyone about the China thing because I really wanted it but now that I'm settled in after the wedding I'm thinking maybe they're right.  Wdyt?

Re: How often do you use your China?

• First, does your DH care? Mine helped pick out our china. We bought lenox china that specifically said dishwasher safe (we end up hand washing anyway) and we use it 4-5 times per year. We use it more now that we have a dining room hutch, it's much more accessible now.
  • We use our china as everyday dishes. We didn't want plain or crappy plates for everyday use, so we're using our china instead. Also, we entertain at least 3 times a month, so it's easier than resurrecting plates and having to clean them - we do that already with serving platters.
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/1z3osoy.jpg[/IMG]
  • Probably about 5 times a year. I also use it when I have the girls over for tea parties.
  • We don't use it all that often now, but I think that we will once we get all settled in (we just got married last month).

Also, are you planning on having family holidays at your house?  In your family, is it formal?  For me, it was.  I knew that I wanted China from the begining.  Even though we might not use it a ton now, I think that further down the line when we start to host our own Christmas's and other holidays that we/I will want it then. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow you use your Fine China everyday?  What do you do for more casual get togethers? 

I could never do that as I'm so clumsy I would break them and then have a heart attack.  I've already broken two wine glasses and like three glass cups!

That's pretty cool that you guys do that though.  Makes dinner feel more special and romantic. 

• image northtamarack:

We don't use it all that often now, but I think that we will once we get all settled in (we just got married last month).

Also, are you planning on having family holidays at your house?  In your family, is it formal?  For me, it was.  I knew that I wanted China from the begining.  Even though we might not use it a ton now, I think that further down the line when we start to host our own Christmas's and other holidays that we/I will want it then. 

It is formal in my family though I would need like place settings for 14 or more for Thanksgiving.  I guess I know I will use  it but I'm wondering if I get the cheaper set I'll get more value out of it for my uses.  But I do love my current china so still not i'll change anything.

• You picked it out because you liked it, and they are gifts. Unless you loathed them I would keep 'em. I actively enjoy using and looking at our china.
  • We were very lucky to receive all of our china for the wedding.  It wasn't super high end, just nice basic BB&B fine china. Two weeks after our wedding, Costco had a VERY similar pattern- Lenox brand-  that included soup bowls, very cool contrasting middle-size plates and two additional serving pieces for about 1/3 of the price.  We returned ALL of our China to BB&B and bought TWO FULL SETS from Costco.  We now have 16 servings instead of 8 with cool added features and still had money to spare to buy additional gifts.  Before we did this, I checked with a few friends, whom I consider to be polite and ethical, who got me china pieces, just to see if they'd recoil... all were supportive of the new china and jealous of the deal I scored.  I've used the china about once a year for the past 4 years, and I don't regret our decision one bit.
  • I have used my china on several occasions.  I don't know if I can say it is like an average of 2-3 times a month but I do use it often enough that it doesn't get dusty  between uses.  I love our china and love setting a beautiful table so I am happy we got so many of our place settings.  I registered for 12, and got 8 so we have enough for the time being.
  • I love my china so I LOOK for excuses to use it. Throw a dinner party just so I can use it, have a tea party just so I can use it, make DH a special dinner just so I can use it. also - we do all the holidays at our house so we use it then too.
  • We just moved into our new house a week ago and have used it almost every night.  We don't have a kitchen table yet, so I figured we might as well use the nice china if we're going to eat at the dining room table. 
  • When it's just DH and me, we use our everyday dishes because we're normally just eating at our coffee table! Very casual. But whenever we have anyone over for dinner, (whether it's one other couple or lots of family), we use the fine china. I have a set of plain white china from Crate & Barrel that we registered/got for our wedding, but I also inherited a very "fancy" (lol) set featuring salmon-pink scroll borders and HUGE gold-monogrammed "S"'s in the middle of each plate, which was my grandmother's china (SO flashy-Long Island, but that's why I love it!)

Personally, I didn't want to be like my mom who uses her china maybe twice a year and that's it. Why spend all that money on nice things that you'll rarely use and get to enjoy? That influenced my choice to get a set of white (instead of patterned) china; I think it's more versatile, you can dress it up or down, and I really believe I'll still love it 50 years from now. But, it's true I also knew that I already had the "fun" heirloom china to intersperse with the plain or to use by itself, also. (But I still think I would have made the same choice when registering).

• Our everyday china is very nice (Villery & Boch), so we never got a fine china set.  We receieved a good portion, and we did complete it.  We use ours everyday.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Over the past five years of marriage, we have NEVER used it. 
  • We don't get to use ours as often as I would like, b/c DH's family is huge and we don't have enough place settings for everyone we invite over for the holidays.  That being said, we host dinner parties every few months and also have family and friends that come to town to visit and I always like to use our china whenever we have a group that will all fit at the same table.