Starting Over
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

JK Rowling accused of Plagiarism

Re: JK Rowling accused of Plagiarism

• I think it's just a way to get at her money from the books/movies.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• This has happened before, and I'm sure it will happen again to her. It seems that every hugely popular author gets hit with this crap at some point. I agree, it's just people wanting in on the cash cow that is Harry Potter.

Let's face it: Books have been written about wizards before. Books have been written about vampires before too. There's going to be some crossover in these types of books that have recently become extremely popular. It's inevitable.

Books read in 2012: 49
    my bookshelf!
    Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Bloggy
  • Good grief.

I feel like all of it is just grasping at straws. "Look! She uses wizard hospitals, but HE used them first!! Look!" Not to mention that the author involved is dead. It's his estate suing.

Le sigh.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo Credit: www.westhousephotography.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, the other book (the one that got her sued before this one) was called "Harry and the Muggles" or something like that. They were suing based on the use of the word "muggle" and the main character named Harry.

Anyway, you can't copyright ideas. Guess what? LOTS of authors write about boarding schools for witches, etc. This is so ridiculous.

And could they have found a worse picture of her to run with that article??? She is so pretty and they made her look awful. I know she's supposed to look sad or whatever but...ugh. She's a classy lady, people. I hope that estate loses a ton of money in legal fees when JKR's lawyers stomp all over them. 

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/34pclz7.png[/IMG]
  • More links:

Another story

The Willy the Wizard Web site. The book was a picture book, and there were a whopping 5,000 copies in print. Wow. 

They are literally suing over concepts, which is not plagiarism. The lawyer that took this case on is stupid, or just looking to sell more books. It will never hold up in court. 

ETA: I read some of the excerpts. It doesn't even make sense.

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/34pclz7.png[/IMG]
  • Oh good lord this is ridiculous. So, if I write about a wizard named Ron can I get sued, too? People need to chill out and enjoy a book and not worry about if something in it *somehow* coincides with an idea in another one.
    2010 AthensGAHalf official time: 2:37:15
    2011 AthensGAHalf official time: 2:33:31

Ze Blog
  • image laddiebug:
    Oh good lord this is ridiculous. So, if I write about a wizard named Ron can I get sued, too? People need to chill out and enjoy a book and not worry about if something in it *somehow* coincides with an idea in another one.

LOL. Yeah, she wasn't the first to write about magic, and she won't be the last. She just happends to be the most awesome, and everyone is jealous.

• Haters to the left!  Leave JKR alone she is awesomesauce!

• image Memily914:

image laddiebug:
    Oh good lord this is ridiculous. So, if I write about a wizard named Ron can I get sued, too? People need to chill out and enjoy a book and not worry about if something in it *somehow* coincides with an idea in another one.

LOL. Yeah, she wasn't the first to write about magic, and she won't be the last. She just happens to be the most awesome, and everyone is jealous.

So true.

2010 AthensGAHalf official time: 2:37:15
    2011 AthensGAHalf official time: 2:33:31

Ze Blog