Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Gift Card Wedding Shower

My friend is getting married next month and we are hosting her shower the 23rd of August. She and her husband will be living in a tiny space (a 5th wheel) for a year until they find the perfect place. They are asking for gift cards only. How can we make the shower fun without being hokey? We are expecting 60 or so guests as she doesn't want more than one shower. Please help! For my gift, I thought about getting a Netflix card, a throw, etc.

Jennifer

Re: Gift Card Wedding Shower

• I should mention it's a traditional bridal shower in a church fellowship hall, so cocktails, etc. are a no go. Smile
    Jennifer
  • One game that my MOH prepared for my shower was her version of the Newlywed Game.  She asked my fiance (now DH) a bunch of questions before-hand and made up poster boards with the answers.  Then, she had a bridesmaid stand behind me holding up the answer while I tried to guess what he answered.  It was a blast and my guests really enjoyed it.

Also, I guarantee she will be receiving some gifts instead of gift cards, and those people will probably expect that there will be some time allotted for opening, so you should probably plan on that. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Thanks! We figured there would be some guests who still want to buy gifts (I'm one of them!) and thought there would be a few to open. I love the change up on the newlywed game. I'll share that with the other hosts! :-)
    Jennifer
  • What's the difference between asking for gift cards and asking for cash?
  • I guess there really isn't. I know this whole deal is so anti-Miss Manners (I quote her a lot and my hub hates it), but that's kinda of what where calling it. . . should we just all out declare a money tree shower?
    Jennifer
  • If the majority of the gifts are gift cards, I would not have the bride open them infront of everyone.  Really, what is she going to say?  I think it would be incredibly painful for everyone. 

As far as games go, I would check in with the bride to see what she wants.  It could be possible that she does not want to play games.

I would suggest making a slide show to show to the guests - no one feels uncomfortable (as some do playing games) and the attention is on the bride and groom as it should be. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks! We were thinking that on the cards. . .. you can't really oohh and ahh over a Target card! She's kind of a funny girl (as in haha), but I'm going to make sure on the games. . . I like the slide show idea and playing wedding type songs (Going to the Chapel) I'll make sure they are not already doing that for the rehearsal dinner, or she might just could use it then, too! :-)
    Jennifer