International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

POLL: Pregnant women, old people, the disabled

Today I saw two heavily pregnant women standing on the train near me and not one person got up to let them sit down.  I felt horrible for them -- on my best day I hate standing so I can't imagine being pregnant and being forced to do it so, onto the poll:

1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people?
2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women?
3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more?
4. Anything else bug you about public transport?

Re: POLL: Pregnant women, old people, the disabled

• 1) YES to both - they have more need to sit than I do.
    2) Yes I do, though it is quite old fashioned of me.
    3) Oh good LORD yes.
    4) The smell of public transport and the way people turn a blind eye to obnoxious behavior.
  • 1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people? yes
    2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women? secretly, yes
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more? depends, really
    4. Anything else bug you about public transport? the smell, people who talk loudly into their mobiles, when the bus driver starts driving as I am still paying and the door is open, the list goes on...
  • 1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people?
    Yes, always. I don't ever want the situation to be reversed.
    No, I don't. I think all people should try not to act like ass_holes.
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more
    I think Dublin is particularly bad. I have seen people standing say to someone sitting "Um, want to let the lady sit?", but I have also seen people pretend to sleep or be intensely reading their book when they see a person come on the train who might need a seat.
    Everything.  Mostly the people. LOL.
    Yes, I do.
    I actually do, but I also think men shouldn't run for the seats and hog them when women (esp. in heels) have to stand (ie. wobble) the whole way.
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more?
    Yes, but we are known as an anti-social city...not everyone, but many natives certainly are seat-greedy. They will just pretend they don't see other people, and like to hog seats for their bags and purses as well, on train and tram especially.
    The people who try and push their way in while others are still getting out bother me, as does the 'sardines in a tin' feeling and people talking loudly on their mobiles, especially in the special 'silent' train carriages. They were meant so people can work or read in silence, not listen to other peoples' generally dumb conversations. The stupid thing is that most Dutch people are to wimpy/scared to say anything about it, so it happens more often than not.
    2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women? in theory, yes.
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more? We don't have much public transportation in this tiny town, but people are very much bred to hold open doors, hold out a chair, etc.
    4. Anything else bug you about public transport? There isn't enough of it.

• 1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people? Yes, always! 2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women? Yes, but that is silly of me. It tends to be when I get up to give my seat to one of the above, a man will normally stand up and say no let me. 3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more? a bit of both 4. Anything else bug you about public transport? people with a lot of perfume or other scent

2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women? no, though almost every time I've moved to give up my seat, a man has offered his instead, which definitely is nice.

3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more? quite giving I think

4. Anything else bug you about public transport? the public, lol
  • 1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people? absolutely
    2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women? yes, it's polite
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more? military men tend to be polite, I've seen them open more doors and give up seats here than anywhere else we've lived.
    4. Anything else bug you about public transport? loud, smelly, or rude kids
  • 1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people? Yes and I've been surprised at how often people offered me their seat while I was pregnant and now with Milo.
    2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women? No but I have to say it has mostly been men who have offered me their seat. 
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more? I think generally giving.
    4. Anything else bug you about public transport? I agree with talking loudly on mobiles or drinking.
  • 1. Yes, I try to be concientious of who around me might need a seat.  Not always conscious of it though.

2. Well, it is gentlemanly of them, but both male and females should be willing.

3. VERY GREEDY.  Sorry if that's offensive... I was 8.5 months pregnant last year carrying home 2 bags of groceries and often not 1 person would offer.  If on the rare occasion someone did, it was a young woman, who maybe understood my pain.

4. I hate when people rush onto the train before everyone is off.  Hate that.  Get outta my way!

• 1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people? yes I do
    2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women?  yup - I'm old fashioned in that way
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more?  women tend to be better about it then men in central London, though I have seen a few young men in my area give up their seats.
    4. Anything else bug you about public transport? the awful heat more than anything else

• 1. Yes.

2. Absolutely.

3. I think they are inbetween here (Seoul).  I think the younger generation needs more lessons on manners.

4. I don't think I have too many qualms over it.  In fact, Korea is pretty awesome about promoting mass transit etiquette,  I must say that standing on the buses here is a little scary.  @[email protected] ; I don't care how good you think your balance is...

• 1) I usually will.
    2) Yes, I admit that I think men should feel more inclined to give up their seats.
    3) People are fairly good about it.
    4) This is about public transport but about waiting in lines, such as at the post office.  I hate it when these people (pregnant, elderly, handicapped, or all of the above) go directly to the front of the line- especially when there are usually seats right on the side.  They can go to the last person in line, say "Please hold my spot for me" then go and sit and wait their turn!
  • 1. I rarely get public transport but I hope I would. When I was a kid - around 9 or so I tried to be polite asking some random woman if she wanted my seat and she laughed a bit and said 'no thanks'. I was mortified lol

2. No, not moreso than women

3. I'd say middle of the road.

4. I got busses an hour or more each way to and from school for about 8 years and I hated how steamed up and clammy the busses got in winter. ew...

• 1. when I'm not pregnant, yes 2. yes 3. no one has EVER given their seat to me or even moved their bag out of a seat for me and I've never seen it happen for anyone else here either, except ONE time when an American woman offered her seat to an elderly woman 4. not really
  • I went to the city in my 38th week and you all saw how big I was. Not one person on the tram offered me their seat and a couple people ran past me to get an empty seat when I was trying to get there myself. I was LIVID.

1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people? Yes, I always give up my seat to any of those people or to Mom's who are with children. I have to nudge Marco sometimes when there is clearly somebody standing who should be sitting and he's plopped his butt down.
    2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women? No not at all. Women's lib, remember?
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more? As I stated above, the people here are just downright rude. Everybody is so plugged into their phones, Ipods or whatever to notice the world around them. I really hate when they pretend they don't see you though. That irks the shit out of me.
    4. Anything else bug you about public transport? No, not really.

• 1. Do you give up your seat to pregnant/old/disabled people? Yes.
    2. Do you feel that men should give up their seats first over women? I wish I could say no, but yes, I do think so. 
    3. Are people in your city giving or greedy when it comes to public transportation seating and people who might need the seat more?  Greedy.  I rarely see people giving up seats for anyone.
    4. Anything else bug you about public transport? I think it's been said...the people, the noise, the heat, the smells.  Probably the biggest annoyance is the people shoving themselves on as soon as the doors open and not letting people get out first.  Do they not get that if they let us out there would be more room for them to get on?!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Yes, always, and even now if I'm sitting and a disabled person gets on, I offer them my seat.

Nah, I think it's kind of old-school and not really necessary.

GREEDY. Everyone is in denial that other people exist. Nobody's ever given up their seat for me. The same was true in London. Paris, on the other hand, was the exact opposite. I never went without a seat, even on the most packed trains.

I wish NYC would have those signs that say how many minutes until the next train is coming.