Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need mneu ideas for "healthy cookout"

We are having a joint cookout with the neighbor and inviting many friends over this coming Saturday.  My DH has also recently started watching what he eats so that he can loose some weight, better deal with IBS, etc.  Please make suggestions for healthy options for our cookout.
TIA!

Re: Need mneu ideas for "healthy cookout"

• I like grilling pre-marinated pork tenderloin and turkey breasts--both lean protein options. ?I also like chicken sausage and have seen lots of different flavors at the store like spinach and asiago, apple and bacon that would be tasty. ?I love grilled vegetables---take eggplant, sweet potatoes, and squash, cut into thick wedges and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. ?Yummy! ?You can also wrap onion wedges in foil with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and put those on the grill to soften and sweeten up.I love tomato salad in the summer with fresh mozzarella and basil w/ balsamic vinegar and olive oil. ?
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Chicken and veggie skewers!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Take peach slices and drizzle honey and cinnamon over them, mix them up, and then make a foil packet for them. Happy grilling!
    [url="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=breastfeeder&utm_medium=ubb&utm_campaign=badges"][img]http://images.thenestbaby.com/badges/tb_sig_ebf.gif [/img][/url]
  • Shrimp kabobs, fruit salad, make a pasta salad with whole wheat orzo and lots of veggies (cucumber, tomato, wilted spinach, basil, feta, and olive oil).  Yum!
  • Turkey Burgers- I mix in spinach for a little extra veggie.

Shrimp- I'll marinate them.  Take an aluminum pan and cut slits in the bottom.  Toss in the shrimp then just sort of let them steam.

Bean salad, veggie tray, fruit salad,

• Any type of kabobs really.  I normally cook the meat and veggies on separate skewers.  I marinate each overnight too. 

I love grilled green onions, sweet potatoes, corn, etc.  Any vegetable really.  Here's chicken recipe for Cooking Light.  It's great.

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs 

**Skinless, boneless thighs cook quickly and are more flavorful than white meat, so they need fewer ingredients. Serve with garlic-roasted potato wedges and tossed salad.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
     Cooking spray
    6 tablespoons honey
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Preheat broiler.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side.

Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well. Remove chicken from oven; brush 1/4 cup honey mixture on chicken. Broil 1 minute. Remove chicken from oven and turn over. Brush chicken with remaining honey mixture. Broil 1 additional minute or until chicken is done.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 321(31% from fat); FAT 11g (sat 3g,mono 4.1g,poly 2.5g); PROTEIN 28g; CHOLESTEROL 99mg; CALCIUM 21mg; SODIUM 676mg; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.9g

David Bonom
    Cooking Light, MARCH 2007

• Kabobs, grilled corn on the cob, lots of fruit...
  • I love grilled veggies and fruit.  Kabobs are also good, no bread so less calories.