Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

elevated liver enzymes

Recently I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and a thyroid problem. I have sufferred from bulimia and binge eating for the past 11 years. My blood test not only showed a high blood sugar level but also high liver enzymes. My ALT is 545 and my AST is 307. I found out both shouldn't be over 40. So now I am extremely nervous and scared about what could be wrong with my liver. The doctor knows my history with bulimia/binge eating and still doesn't think that that could have made my liver enzymes as high as they are now. She suspects it could be hepatitis or a fatty liver but I don't know what to think. I blame myself because of my bad eating habits and abuse of my body. I have had some discomfort on my right upper side of my abdominal (right by my rib area). I've had that pain for awhile now but I thought it was because of all the weight I have on my upper body. I carry most of my weight on top and hardly any at the bottom. I figured the weight was putting more pressure on my ribs and that's why I was in pain. Stupid now that I think of it but I never even thought it could be my liver. I go for an ultrasound tomorrow but I'm really scared. I don't want to be told that I'm dying. I don't feel like I am but I've been extremely tired lately and can't help but think the worst. Has anyone ever experienced elevated liver enzymes or have any advise for me?

Re: elevated liver enzymes

• I am sorry you are going through all of this. I do not have any experience and the only advice I can give you is to tell your Doctor everything.  Write down symptoms, when they happen, what you are eating...everything, The more you can tell the Doctors the better they can help you, Don't be embarrassed by anything you may or may not have done to your body, just be honest.

You will get through this. Find a support system and hang in there! Good luck with everything.

photo 23_zps55098dc4.jpgphoto 5_zps844d0072.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo rainbows_zpsb95a8e2b.jpgphoto dairy_badge_zpsf1627fb3.jpgphoto gooddrugs_badge_zps46a70739.jpg
  • I am so sorry to hear of all this. Try to stay positive. As a dietitian, I am seeing more and more non-alcoholic fatty liver disease show up. My main advice is LOADS of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and to limit most all simply carbohydrates (soda, juice, snack foods, sweets, etc.). I hope that helps. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions, I'm happy to try to help!
  • I'm a lurker on here, but I just wanted to come out of lurking to say I am so sorry you are going through all of this. My dad has hepatitis, cirrhosis and liver cancer. Whatever the outcome of your tests, just know that eating right and taking care of yourself can be more healing than you might expect. My thoughts and prayers are with you!!
    Photobucket image