Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Seriously, what gives? What am I doing wrong?

I have almost 20 lbs to lose to get down to my summer, feel-good weight.  I know I can get to this weight, I've been there as recently as last summer.  Even if I could lose 15 lbs, I'd feel much better about myself - I'm REALLY struggling with my body image lately.

Starting 5 weeks ago on Monday, I began working out and watching what I eat.  I already eat fairly healthy - mostly whole grains, lots of proteins, good carbs, etc, so I just really started to track how many calories I was taking in.  I found that I was averaging about 1100 calories a day, so have tried to up that to between 1300-1500.  I drink at least 100 oz of water every day.  I rarely drink soda - maybe 1 can 2x/week.

I run or walk on my treadmill (depending on how my leg feels - I'm nursing a mysterious calf "injury" that doesn't want to go away) at least 5 nights a week.  When I'm running I run 2.5-3.5 miles at no incline, when walking I walk 1 - 1.5 miles at an incline of 4 or 5.  I do Jillian's 30DS or NMTZ (circuits 1-4) at least 4 nights a week, sometimes 5-6.  

I have been consistent with this exercise routine and eating for the past 5 weeks.  I had hoped to lose 2 lbs/week, which would put me down 10 lbs this week...yet I'm only down 2-3.  My scale says that my bodyfat % has dropped, which is encouraging, but my pants all fit the same (and that is NOT a good thing, since they barely fit right now!).  

I want to be fit, and I want to lose this weight.  I'm 5'8" and currently weight 151-152.  My goal is to get to 135, though I would be happy at 140.  I KNOW I'm currently within my healthy range, but I'm not happy with the way my body currently looks, and my goal weight is still within the healthy range.  What am I doing wrong?  What can I do to kick-start my weight loss? 

"When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money." - Cree teaching

Re: Seriously, what gives? What am I doing wrong?

• If you were only eating 1100 calories/day before it might have put your body into starvation mode.  Everyone is different but it can take a while for your metabolism to get back to normal.  I would just try to keep doing what you've been doing and not get discouraged. 

I know you said you are watching what you're eating now but are you actually writng down everything you consume?  I found that helped me since I'd forget about small things I ate throughout the day.

• If you're only been working out for 5 weeks, it might take a little bit longer for you to see results.  Sometimes it takes a little longer.

Also, if you're running on the treadmill at 0% incline it's like always running downhill, which can contribute to your calf problems.  Try increasing the incline to 1%.  It's like running on the road and will be easier on your legs.

Make sure you're eating enough.  PP already mentioned it, but if you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and try to hold on to whatever it can.

Good luck!

My H&F Blog * H&F Badges

image image image

2010 Highlights
    9/26 Adirondack Marathon 5:11:37 (major knee pain, but hey, I finished!)

2011 Races and Results
    5/29 Buffalo Marathon (5:25 - not pretty, just trying not to get heatstroke!)
    9/25 Adirondack Marathon (take 2!)
    One of these days I'll have a good marathon!
  • I'll definitely try to run on an incline of 1; this calf thing is really bothering me and I really want to get it healed up and taken care of.

I am writing everything down that I'm eating.  I know I wasn't eating enough before...is 1300-1500 a good goal range?  That is what I've been aiming for once I started tracking calories. 

"When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money." - Cree teaching
  • image beyimage:

I'll definitely try to run on an incline of 1; this calf thing is really bothering me and I really want to get it healed up and taken care of.

I am writing everything down that I'm eating.  I know I wasn't eating enough before...is 1300-1500 a good goal range?  That is what I've been aiming for once I started tracking calories. 

If I was doing the treadmill 5x a week, I might aim more for 1500-1700 calories.

• I'm 5'4 and am eating 1400 calories/day to lose 1lb/week.  I'd aim for 1500 at least.
  • What are you using for journaling?  with how much you're burning I wonder if you should stay at the higher - 1500 cals or more.  I use myfitnesspal.com and find that really helps to show where I'm lacking in my nutrition. If I can ask, what is your body fat %?  Maybe increase your strength training to tone/build muscle. 
  • I use SparkPeople to track calories, exercise, and water.  I will up my calories and make sure I'm getting at least 1500/day; I can add in a snack or two in the middle of the day pretty easily.

5 weeks ago my bf %, according to my scale, was 25%.  Last Monday (I weigh in each Monday) it was 21.2%.  I know that the bf percentages on scales aren't very accurate, so I'm really just looking for a downward trend, which I'm seeing.  I don't get how the % is going down, but my clothes aren't fitting any better.  It is so frustrating :(

• I know that it's hard to not see the change in your pants. It took me about 6 weeks to start noticing any difference in my pants.
  • It's definitely not a quick process for everyone. I've been running, and doing some other work outs since September. I changed my eating habits in November, and I've lost 6lbs. I noticed a difference in my clothes just a few weeks ago..I don't track my calories, it's to tedious for me. I tried it for a few days and it drove me crazy.  I forget if you said if you have tried any other kind of work outs besides the treadmill? Maybe some DVDs or On-demand workouts?
    http://lifeisbeachykeenblog.wordpress.com
  • Also, maybe take some body measurements of your bicep, thigh, waist, etc.  Check them monthly to see if you notice a decrease.  If you're toning, you should see something.
  • Your BMI is a perfectly healthy 23. Maybe your body is telling you it's happy where it is? I agree with pp's however -- you need to increase your intake. I think you need closer to 1600-1700 calories a day.
  • Thanks to everyone for your advice.  I do appreciate it, and to be quite honest, I was afraid to post here for fear of being flamed, so thanks for not flaming me.  I know that I'm at a healthy BMI, but I am not happy with how my body looks, specifically my midsection.  My goal BMI is also within the healthy range; I'm not striving for something that is unrealistic/unhealthy. 

Starting today I will up my caloric intake and make sure I get a MINIMUM of 1500 calories .  I am seeing a difference in my arms - they are visibly more toned...I just wish my tummy would also be visibly more toned!  I have another month before I go to Brazil for 10 days...I had hoped to be close to my goal, but if I could even lose 4-5 lbs before then and tone everything up more, I'll be happy.

• Starvation mode is a tricky thing...but basically, if you don't eat anything you will still lose weight.  Starvation mode is real, but it takes a long time to get there and in very extreme situations.

Do you have a food scale?  Thing is, before I weighed my food, I was tracking but not losing "*thinking* I was eating only 1500 calories, when in fact I was eating more like 1800-2000!  My eyeball estimates and even using measuring cups were wayyy off.  Here is a great video that demonstrates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Also, after owning a Go Wear Fit, I learned just how little I was burning in a day.  I learned that I don't get to eat a lot to lose, even with working out!  On workdays, without a workout I only burned about 1900 calories or less.  Doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room if I wanted to lose.

Just thought I would offer a different perspective for you - good luck :)

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm sure this is a general consensus among all the PP's, however I'll put it down again - metabolism. Space out your calories, it doesn't have to be 5 small meals a day, but don't let yourself get hungry or thirsty. The best way to up your metabolism and boost your burn is good fats (avacado, nuts, fish oil etc..) and honestly eat constantly.

Also regarding your calf pain, what I found really helped me was a simple pre-run stretch. Sounds silly - but stand up and tap your foot (do each one individually..) like you are impatient, tap it up and down about 30 times each foot. After that go up and down from flat foot to toes, 30-50 times. Honestly works! I'm tall and slightly heavy so shin pains always an issues when i "let myself go" so to speak. This always does the trick!

GL

And remember - love your body - it's the only one you have, and you're beautiful!

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2vmsk8h.jpg[/IMG]