Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Oven Cleaning?

Hi there,

I am trying my self-cleaning oven mode for the first time.  What should I expect when it is over?  Also, how often do you run your self-cleaning mode?  Thanks for the help!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest! imageimage

Re: Oven Cleaning?

• First off it will stink for hours. That is really the worst part. After it is done, it will leave some "ashy" debris in the bottom and maybe on the sides, wipes right off with a wet sponge.

If you do not have the racks that are ok to leave in the stove, you must remove those. I think it is the porcelan covered ones that are ok to leave, but check. The typical brassy/silver kind I think are all bad, but again check your manual. If you leave the typical kind in while self cleaning it deteriorates the coating on them and it makes sliding your pans in and out on them very rough feeling, not smooth like it is now.

The oven gets very hot so keep everything off the stove.

Other than that, enjoy the ease of it. We bought our first self cleaning stove last year and love it! Good luck!

ETA: I just do it as needed.

• I have run my self cleaning cycle exactly once. It was so horrible I vowed to never do it again.

Now, I spritz the inside of the oven with water, sprinkle on baking soda, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then wipe clean. 

It doesn't stink, scratch, or make your house hot as hell. 

• We just ran ours for the first time this weekend as we were moving out of our apartment and didn't want to get charged for a dirty oven.  First we cleaned off everything that we could, so there were only a few spots left where apple pies had boiled over and left carmelized sugar.  We expected it to stink and be horrible but it really wasn't too bad - probably because we cleaned most of the junk out first.  It ran for 3.5 hours and looked new when it was done.  We are thinking of doing the same thing in our new house now because the former owners left the oven a mess.
  • image MontereyBride:

I have run my self cleaning cycle exactly once. It was so horrible I vowed to never do it again.

Now, I spritz the inside of the oven with water, sprinkle on baking soda, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then wipe clean. 

It doesn't stink, scratch, or make your house hot as hell. 

Thanks for the tip.  I'm going to try this!

• Update: Well, I left the racks in, somehow missing the giant stickers saying to remove them.  Oops.  The smell was awful but everything looks clean though.  Thanks for all the advice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest! imageimage