Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How to organize spices?

How do you organize all your spices?  Currently I have mine all lined up in a cupboard, but it's such a pain to look for something and I feel like I can be using the space much better since there's about 6 inches above the spice containers that aren't being used.  I have about 35 spices (cinnamon, ginger, cumin, chili powder, steak seasoning, season salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder, etc.)

Re: How to organize spices?

• I have a spice rack bc I use spices so much and it's just more convenient for me

To maximaize your cabinet space, I would recommend getting a cabinet shelf. This will help take care of the extra space you have above your spices. I have them in my cabinets above my oven and above my sink.

They have some at Bed Bath and Beyond. image

• i have two rubbermaid totes, and I keep them in a cabinet and pull them out based on what I'm doing.

One is for baking -- cinnamon, apple pie spices, cocoas, extracts, etc. 

the other is for cooking - thyme, parsley, sage, cumin, chili powder, etc. 

I organize them alphabetically in each. 

• image KathyGee:

i have two rubbermaid totes, and I keep them in a cabinet and pull them out based on what I'm doing.

One is for baking -- cinnamon, apple pie spices, cocoas, extracts, etc. 

the other is for cooking - thyme, parsley, sage, cumin, chili powder, etc. 

I organize them alphabetically in each. 

I have a spice rack that I got for my wedding, so most spices are in there. For other spices I have accumulated, I do this same thing (rubbermaid totes)- one for cooking (ie: random spices, taco seasoning, chicken bullion) and one for baking (ie: cupcake liners, sprinkles, apple pie spice, etc.).

• I have an entire cabinet dedicated to spices.  I got some plastic bins from the Container Store.  They are 3x5 inches and  2x5.  I can get 3 on a shelf. They are small enough to pull out one at a time.  I wrote the name of the spices on the top of the jars so I can pull them out to read what the are.  I don't organize them I just put them back in the bins where they fit.  This way you don't have to worry about knocking things over with your hands.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a little plastic thing that looks like steps that I put in a cabinet (from Target).  It staggers my spices and I put the ones I rarely use in the back.  I just did this last weekend because I was fed up with my spices!  Good luck!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest! imageimage
  • I keep mine in a drawer to eliminate that wasted space.  I write the name of the spice on the top of the jar in Sharpie (black or silver, whichever shows up better) so I can find it quickly.  I keep my most frequently used spices in the front row, then the rest alphabetically behind them.  Larger things like cinnamon sticks and my tin of saffron are in the back of the drawer behind the jars.