Northern California Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Kids playing in yard?

OK, all you homeowners.

There are some local kids who have started playing in our front yard. DH has caught them playing tag and stuff in our driveway; and today they were running up and down the sides of the house, grabbing handfuls of our gravel and shouting at each other. If I had to guess ages, I'd guess 7, 6 and 4.

DH tells them they can't play here, but I'm not sure they speak English. They live a couple houses down, along with several other families.

I chickened out today, and just stood outside and asked if they were OK until they left. One was screaming at the others that they had to go home (or I think that's what they were saying, in my limited Spanish).

I don't want to be the neighborhood grouch, but I'm really afraid of them getting hurt while they're playing in our yard. First of all, it's not even our house. Secondly, we don't speak the same language. Not only that, but there have been a lot of break ins in the neighborhood in the past few months, and I don't like the idea of anyone running around the house.

What would you do?

Re: Kids playing in yard?

• I have this same problem. Our next door neighbors don't speak english and their kids are 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, and I think there is another one who's maybe 9? They are constantly unsupervised and running all over. I've caught the 2 and 4 year old in the middle of our street several times and people RACE down our street all of the time so I've basically made a point to lead them back home. I have on occasion said to the parents that they need to watch their kids, but I'm not sure if they understood me. Their kids also kicked in our fence, which I was pissed about. For the most part, though, the kids are really well behaved. I would just tell the kids to stay out of your yard, but unfortunately I'm not sure what you can really do unless there is damage to your property.
  • that would get frustrating, especially if they're leaving a mess behind (gravel, etc.). If you can't communicate with them them I would just go out there everytime they're in your yard and hopefully they'll get the message that they can't do that.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Angel Baby - 5/22/2010 @ 13 weeks. Always in our hearts.
  • "NO!" is pretty universal. If it were me, I would be that neighborhood grouch and when I saw them go out and say " no no no,go home" or something like that. Actually I would make DH do it. I am a pip squeak and he is 6'2" so kids listen to him more than me, Stick out tongue

Like you said, you don't want them to get hurt, and you don't want your property damaged either. hope it works out for you

• We have this issue. The neighbors on either side have kids who play together on the middle ground of OUR YARD. They've even used our hose to fill their water guns/use the sprayer on each other !!  GRRRRRRR  We just ask them nicely to leave every time. Usually their parents aren't watching. Eye roll. We've attempted to talk to the neighbors about it and they told DH "our kids don't play in your yard" UMMM.. then why have I run over their toys that are IN MY DRIVE WAY ?!  Good Luck. I'd just continue to try in the way you can, even if it's in a different language. 
    IMG_1373 Cool Winston
  • image CarFar:
    We have this issue. The neighbors on either side have kids who play together on the middle ground of OUR YARD. They've even used our hose to fill their water guns/use the sprayer on each other !!  GRRRRRRR  We just ask them nicely to leave every time. Usually their parents aren't watching. Eye roll. We've attempted to talk to the neighbors about it and they told DH "our kids don't play in your yard" UMMM.. then why have I run over their toys that are IN MY DRIVE WAY ?!  Good Luck. I'd just continue to try in the way you can, even if it's in a different language. 

Well, then there is the totally passive aggressive route which is when they leave toys in my yard I just give them to my dog to chew up. She LOOOOOOVES soccer balls. Like the one that knocked in my fence....

• image Love in Stereo:

Well, then there is the totally passive aggressive route which is when they leave toys in my yard I just give them to my dog to chew up. She LOOOOOOVES soccer balls. Like the one that knocked in my fence....

LOL reason number 101 that I would like a Pup, yesterday !   

IMG_1373 Cool Winston