Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

new runner..

So after lurking on this board for awhile, I have been inspired to start running. I didn't envision it as a New Years resolution, but I guess the timing is what it is.

Anyway, I don't have any specific goals in mind and I have just been starting out with daily, short runs to begin to enjoy the feel of running. In the summer, I would love to participate in some kind of organized run, but I don't really know where to start. I'm blogging about my experiences here if you want to take a look, but I would also love to hear any advice you might have for a beginner.

Thanks for the personal stories and tips that have motivated me to take this step! 

Re: new runner..

• Congrats!  Just do what feels good and don't pressure yourself too much or it won't be fun.  Try not to compare yourself too much to others; no matter how much you run, there is always someone who runs more, or faster, or better.  I took it very easy at first; I ran one day and then I'd take a day off.  Then I did two days on, one day off.  Once I got to 4 or 5 days on, one day off, I started to increase my distance.

Also, don't be afraid to invest in a few important items, like running shoes, good technical apparel,  non-cotton socks (I happen to be OK with whatever the hell I throw on my feet, but most ladies here hate cotton), etc.  Spending $100 on a good pair of pants is better than spending $50 on 2 pairs of pants that suck.

Good luck!

• I am also a new runner and have found this website helpful. I am running my first relay marathon in May.

Good luck!

Follow Me on Pinterest

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Hi and congrats on starting to run. Check your area to see if there is a running specialty store. They will have information on local clubs and races. A 5K is always a great race to start with once you feel ready for it. Plus, the races are what makes running so addicting. Also, you may want to check out the couch to 5K running plan.

Enjoy your runs!

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That website is great! I'm definitely going to follow it - it's nice to have some direction, and it doesn't seem too intimidating. I'll start looking around for 5k runs in my area for early summer.

I don't have much cash to invest in great shoes or apparel, but I'll try to start stashing away to improve my gear over time. Thanks again!

• Oberlander87, I was just reading your blog and I suggest you check out this site on runnersworld.com. It tells you what to wear for any type of weather. Also, as you increase your mileage I highly suggest you get fitted for shoes at a running store, otherwise you may be prone to some injuries with ill-fitting shoes. They will most likely run in cost from $75-110, but are worth it if you do a lot of running.

ETA: I forgot to wish you luck and I hope you enjoy running as much as many of us do! 

• I agree, proper shoes are an absolute must.  Invest in them now, and they will save you tons of hassle later on.  I had knee problems, and once I finally found a pair of shoes that fit me correctly, the pain went away.  You don't need $200 Nikes :)

Good luck!

• That website is just what I need.  I feel silly not even knowing what to wear! I promise to save up and get fitted for shoes - I've had several people mention this and I just can't ignore that much good advice. Question is.. where do I start shopping?  Is online a bad idea?
  • Try on stuff at stores, and then buy it online.  Try runningwarehouse.com for great prices.  roadrunnersports.com also has some good stuff.  Definitely try stuff on before buying it, because real running clothes run VERY small (as in, I'm 5'3" and 120 and I wear a large in some RRS shorts).
  • image vxs0038:

I am also a new runner and have found this website helpful. I am running my first relay marathon in May.

Good luck!

C25K is great!  I wasn't a runner and used this program this fall.  I'm doing a ten mile run in April.

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/2/2cq89kamz.png[/IMG][/URL]

Best Running Accomplishment

Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon
  • Get properly fitted at a specialty running store near you.  Not a store like Sports Authority or Foot Locker.  The running store can properly measure your foot and can even watch you run (they typically have a treadmill in store), to see how your foot strikes the ground. 

I normally buy my first pair at the store where I got fitted, then when I need new ones, I get them online.  As pp mentioned, runningwarehouse.com is great.  I've also gotten mine at shoebuy.com and roadrunnersports.com (it might just be roadrunner.com, I can't remember!)

Also, if you buy the first pair from the specialty shop, you can often return them if they don't fit properly, so you can find the ones that will work for you.