Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

End of the year prescription vent!

Grr! I get migraine headaches, and the medicines are EXPENSIVE! 

Welp, Relpax sent me a little coupon for $15 off my next refill in the mail. All a twitter, I decided to check in with the makers of my other suppliers to see if they had any coupons..and they do! Yay! Not only that, they have little cards for deals off multiple refills! I had no idea about this kind of thing!

Except...they all expire today! Darn it. Darn you New Years.  

Re: End of the year prescription vent!

• I'm sure they'll put new ones up in a week or two. Good luck!
  • I use to have bad migraines and took a lot of different meds that could get pricey too. If I were you, I would look into your Doc writing you a 3 month supply and doing it that way.

My brand name meds are 50 bucks for one month but 100 for 3 months. That is a 17 dollar savings each month! It adds up. GL!

• image samanthas8882:

I use to have bad migraines and took a lot of different meds that could get pricey too. If I were you, I would look into your Doc writing you a 3 month supply and doing it that way.

My brand name meds are 50 bucks for one month but 100 for 3 months. That is a 17 dollar savings each month! It adds up. GL!

My health insurance only allows for one month supplies, and it costs me $75 for a one month of Topamax and it is $100 EACH for one month of Frova and Relpax! :(  My doctors automatically write for three months-and my HI said no. Boo hiss. (I do private insurance---when I had it through my work they did three months for $100 and topamax was $25/month)

Uncanny..I know they will put new coupons! I was just bummed when i saw they expired today! i wished I had known about them all last year! ;D  

• image foundmylazybum:
    image samanthas8882:

I use to have bad migraines and took a lot of different meds that could get pricey too. If I were you, I would look into your Doc writing you a 3 month supply and doing it that way.

My health insurance only allows for one month supplies, and it costs me $75 for a one month of Topamax and it is $100 EACH for one month of Frova and Relpax! :(  My doctors automatically write for three months-and my HI said no. Boo hiss. (I do private insurance---when I had it through my work they did three months for $100 and topamax was $25/month)

Uncanny..I know they will put new coupons! I was just bummed when i saw they expired today! i wished I had known about them all last year! ;D  

I use to take Topamax too... did you know they have a generic version? I don't know if that is what you are on but I was so happy to find it out when I was on it!

• Yes. I take the generic and it is still $75. :( 
  • I would anticipate the Topomax cost will go down as more generics enter the market. It just went off patent.

You can't do the mail order thing for maintenance meds? That's usually where the big savings come in.

• Oh--a lot of times product websites have "patient support programs" that you can sign up for and get coupons, etc. They're used to encourage persistance on medication (which basically means refilling scripts).
  • image noonecarewhoiam:

I would anticipate the Topomax cost will go down as more generics enter the market. It just went off patent.

You can't do the mail order thing for maintenance meds? That's usually where the big savings come in.

What's the mail order thing None (If you can't tell I clearly just run to my neighborhood Walgreens--usually two days after my script has run out and I've been biting my nails for 48 hours..usually while on vacation..anticipation is not my strong point!)

I saw the things on the websites for the customer loyalty...those were the ones that were expiring today..I'm going to wait and sign up when they (most likely--hopefully) renew soon! ;D  

• I'm not good with the mail order thing myself, but my DH is. Most PBMs (Pharmacy Benefits Managers--like Medco or CareMark) want you to get your meds in the cheapest way possible, because they get deep discounts from Big Pharma. So many times you can get 90 days worth (3 months, basically) for a single co-pay if you get them by mail.

It's kind of a pain if you're not good at planning ahead (like me), but it can save you some serious jingle if your PBM does this (most health insurance companies, like a Blue Cross, with contract out their pharmaceutical benefits, so you might have a seperate carrier).