Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

New Year's Day

I haven't posted much in a long time but this I'm struggling with:

My grandparents' anniversary is on New Year's Day.  Every year the whole family comes together for a dinner celebration at a nice restaurant.  Last year was my grandparent's 65th wedding anniversary.  My grandfather passed in February.

I'm 33 years old and I have no idea what people do on New Year's Day.  We have always gotten dressed up (semi-formal) for dinner at 4pm at the same restaurant.  I feel lost.

Then I feel guilty, b/c I feel like I'm not taking my grandmother's feelings into account.  It's been a really hard year for her.  They grew up together.  His sister was her best friend.  They worked together and started businesses together.  They still held hands and went on walks together.  They would get on an elevator and see how many kisses they could get in before the doors opened again. (I only found this out recently and still amazed about how profoundly they loved each other)

My aunt is taking my grandmother to visit my other aunt in Florida and making a week vacation out of it.  Trying to make everything different so she won't have to be at home focusing on where she is supposed to be.

I am very close to my family and we are kinda walking around a little dazed. 

I guess my real question is what do people do for New Year's day?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: New Year's Day

• growing up we always spent the day taking down and packing up x-mas decorations.  Since I loved out I have either had to work or just spent the day relaxing with DH.

This year we are both off work so we are going to have his nephews over and just relax, watch movies, play the wii, etc.

We don't do anything celebratory (we do that NYE) because its not really that big of a holiday at least not to us.

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."
  • Honestly it can be anything, it all depends on what you feel like doing. :)

For instance, some years I feel like just sitting at home, sipping some hot cocoa with a vodka shot, and watching old movies.  Another year my stepsis had me and her sister over to sing karoake, do shots, and watch the NYE in NYC on tv.

This year, we're actually going to dinner, movie, and then downtown Denver to watch the fireworks.  I say:  do what you feel like to bring in the new year!

Waiting for some innocuous creativity... I'll let you know.
  • To a degree, its "just another day". We don't do anything special, or what have you. Depending on what we did the night before determines is its a day to recover or just a day to do our own thing.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• image EastCoastBride:
    To a degree, its "just another day". We don't do anything special, or what have you. Depending on what we did the night before determines is its a day to recover or just a day to do our own thing.

This.  We'll probably go to a movie (though we go to the movies a lot so this isn't anything special.)

I'm sorry for your loss.  It sounds like they had a great relationship!

• Although my family is not Irish, we always do corned beef and cabbage with my entire family.  It's the only time I get it each year and we enjoy spending the day together.

Natural m/c @ 6 weeks - 3/1/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm really sorry for your family's loss.  Your grands sound like special people!

In my family, we always had lots of snacks, maybe a pot of chili or something, and watched football nonstop on New Year's Day.  DH's family serves a traditional Southern lunch with collards and black-eyed peas for luck and wealth in the new year.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When I was younger, I was usually skiing b/c it was the middle of Christmas Camp Training for my ski team. As I got older, I started spending New Year's Eve with friends and New Year's day just hanging out at home.

This will be the 4th year in a row that I work at 7am on New Year's day. My husband and I now have a tradition where he picks me up from work around 11pm on New Year's Eve. We go watch the New Year's fireworks, sometimes grab a bite to eat and go home so I can get a little sleep before going back to work. It's a really simple celebration, but I really like the low key stuff.

You could try inviting friends over on New Year's day for a laid back afternoon (maybe watch movies, make dinner, etc). It may help take your mind off things.

• I love lounging around on New Years Day.  It is a holiday and I don't have to work, so I like taking advantage of that. 

I am very sorry to hear about your grandfather.  I hope that you can find a way to spend your New Year's Day that gives you some sense of peace.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We don't have any set traditions.

Depending on weather, we go downtown to see the ice sculptures from New Year's Eve and take ourselves out to lunch. 

• We usually don't make a big deal of NYD at all.  We take it as an extra weekend day and do whatever the heck we want to do!  Usually laze around, eat leftover Christmas goodies, and play with the kids.