Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Baby Shower Gift ideas

Ok so H & I have a question for all you 'baby mammas' out there.  H has 2 cousins that are both 5 months preggers. We're going to his family reunion in 2 weeks & there will be a surprise baby shower for both of them. H & I don't live near the stores they are registered at so we went to Target to get their gifts. H wanted to buy clothes, but I thought we should get something more practical. We obviously don't have kids yet, so we're clueless!  What are some gifts that you wish ppl knew to buy you?  What are gifts you can do without?  What things can you never have too much of?

We ended up buying each cousin the following, did we do good?

1 big pack of diapers

3 packs of wipes

burp cloths

pack of onesies (the long ones that cover the feet)

pacifier clips

hooded bath towel

bath rags

Thanks peeps!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby Shower Gift ideas

• I really liked this basket that I can put in our dishwasher for all the bottle supplies.  We hand washed everything for the first couple of months and that got really old.  I wish I had that basket a lot sooner.

A boppy might be nice or maybe  a boppy cover.

I don't know if you can get this at Target but Bed Bath and Beyond has this sound spa for babies.  It has a little projector and can play lullabyes, ocean sounds, water, and heartbeat sounds.  My daughter liked that when she was little.  I think it was made by Homedics. 

• A gift certificate for Kid's R Us to get more stuff might be good.
  • My go-to baby shower gift is a basket full of random stuff. It's stuff that the parents don't think they need but then when they DO need it, it's a lifesaver.On average it's around $100, but you could easily do something similar for less.

Cute basket (I usually get this at Homegoods) or bucket

binkies

binkie attacher thingy

onsies

burp cloths

nasal aspirator

nail set

Baby tylenol

Mylecon (baby gas ex)

Desitin or Budreau's Butt Balm

Bag Balm

baby hat

baby socks

book

CD of lullabyes

thermometer

vaseline

baby wash

baby lotion

wipes

cute outfit

stuffed toy

disposable camera

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gift card to the closest place that does take-out, or a giftcard somewhere that delivers.
    image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image tch81:

We ended up buying each cousin the following, did we do good?

1 big pack of diapers - Do you know what kind of diapers they are going to use? We ended up donating several packs to church because people bought us the wrong kind. One brand broke DD out in a rash.

3 packs of wipes

burp cloths

pack of onesies (the long ones that cover the feet)

pacifier clips - do you know which pacis they will be using? Different ones take different clips.

hooded bath towel

bath rags

Thanks peeps!

If I were you, I would have stuck to some more basics. You can't go wrong with Tylenol, Mylecon drops, diaper rash cream, powder, baby wash... those are things that are going to have to be purchased and will be used. Another good idea is a few travel sized things - wipe carrier, small containers that can store snacks and stuff away in the diaperbag... Other ideas: a shopping cart cover for when the baby gets a little bigger, a Bumbo seat, a Boppy, etc.  It would also be very thoughtful to include a little something for the mother, like a box of chocolates or some pj's.

Damn Pictures, Images and Photos
    I've got more issues than a magazine
  • This is all stuff they would use, so I think you did just fine.  A safe option is to look online at where they registered and pick something you like then go to target and find something comparable.  But these are all good usable items :)
  • image susiederkins:
    Gift card to the closest place that does take-out, or a giftcard somewhere that delivers.

This, a million and one times over.

Next to specific things on our registry, this was by far the most appreciated gift in the world.  No new parents feels like cooking - we loved and cherished those take-out gift cards that we received.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image Maybride2:

image susiederkins:
    Gift card to the closest place that does take-out, or a giftcard somewhere that delivers.

Next to specific things on our registry, this was by far the most appreciated gift in the world.  No new parents feels like cooking - we loved and cherished those take-out gift cards that we received.

I hate Applebees with as much passion as one can hate a restaurant, but we used and appreciated every one of those gift cards we got. It was so nice for DH to call in an order when he left work and pick it up on the way home.

image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image Maybride2:

image susiederkins:

Exactly right.  I had more burp cloths and blankets than I knew what to do with; we use cloth diapers so we didn't need disposables; we had clothes up the kazoo from everybody; and neither of my kids ever took a pacifier.

Not having to cook or go grocery shopping with a baby in tow was an utterly priceless gift in those first few months.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've basically done 3 items for my friends at baby showers...

Tie gown outfits instead of onesies - this always goes over well, because its easy to bathe baby and change into this at night.

a baby carrier - one that goes over the shoulders so baby can be in front or back. - done this for several and it's been a good idea, Im sure that wouldnt be perfect for everyone, but babies love to face outward and see whats going on. not really a newborn gift though.

and ditto on the giftcard for restaurant or take out or even a "coupon" for you to babysit for a night out for parents

• As long as you give a gift receipt you did fine!

- Jena
  • those are all very nice and practical gifts.