Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Moms - Question about names

If you picked your baby's name when you were pregnant, did it feel like it fit before the baby was born?  I had a girls name picked out (Violet Anne) and I was calling this poor kid Violet for the first part of my pregnancy.  That name just stuck and felt right.  Obviously now that it's a boy the name is not Violet.  We picked Thomas Patrick and we actually picked it the last time I was pregnant.  I was due on my Dad's birthday and my Dad's name is Thomas which is where the name came from. 

Anywho, at this ultrasound when we found out it was a boy, DH said he still wanted Thomas Patrick (and as corny as this sounds) he said he kept hearing the song Tommy by the Who in his head when he was watching the baby on the screen.  I don't have that strong connection to the name yet.  I don't know if it's because I thought it was a girl for so long or if it's not the right name.  To make matters worse my Dad knows about us possibly naming the baby Thomas Patrick and I feel like I can't take that back now.  So I'm just wondering did you all feel strongly about the name or did it just click when the baby was born?  Sorry this is so long.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Moms - Question about names

• Mr. eagles thinks I am crazy, but I need to see the baby before I can lock in on a name.  It just doesn't feel right to me to decide something like that before meeting them

We had several boy and girl options for both baby and when they were born I just knew what their name should be.  I know I am in the minority but it worked for us

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Oh and I love both names :)
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • My entire pregnancy is a blur. I don't remember too much. At the time we were going through the baby name book and my mom was spitting out names. She mentioned "Hunter" and our first reaction was no. But then after she mentioned more names, we kept going back to it and decided that we liked it. That day we just picked it and stuck with it. I don't remember ever being like, "OMG this is THE name!!" or even having second thoughts. It was more like, "what about this?" "ok, cool. yeah, sounds good."
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116b04.aspx[/img][/url]
  • i'm pretty sure you should make a poll and we should vote.
  • image stilldreaming:
    i'm pretty sure you should make a poll and we should vote.

Lol, oh god, I hate those polls. 

I think I would like to see the baby first to decide but since the name leaked everyone calls the baby Tommy and I'm like who?  Then I feel like a bad mom lol. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Shannon, I like your names you have picked out.  I wish I could say I'll show the self-control Eagles had, with waiting to see the child, but I'm not patient like that for some reason.

All I do know is that I am making DH promise me that even if we choose a name ahead of time, we don't leak it out until after the baby is born.  Otherwise, our families will send us 1000000 monogrammed/name embroidered things before the kid is even born.

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/358vw3t.jpg[/IMG]
    Aisling Rose 8/8/10
    Declan James 9/18/12
  • Jamie, are you finding out the sex?  If so, I would also hide that from the fam.

Many people say that at their showers instead of getting the items they really needed, people would get caught up in cutesy outfits and gender specific stuff because they knew the sex

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • image eaglesfan700:

Jamie, are you finding out the sex?  If so, I would also hide that from the fam.

Many people say that at their showers instead of getting the items they really needed, people would get caught up in cutesy outfits and gender specific stuff because they knew the sex

I'm on the fence about finding out the sex.  Again, I want to be patient and surprised, and yet I want to know rightnow.  I agree though- my cousin found out both times, and both times (two different baby mamas so two showers) all they came home with was bags and bags of pink/blue stuff.

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/358vw3t.jpg[/IMG]
    Aisling Rose 8/8/10
    Declan James 9/18/12
  • I changed my mind a lot about names. There were times when I'd say I'm done - this is it and that's the end of it but I'd start to doubt the name. When I started doubting it, I scrapped it and starting thinking of new names. When we finally settled on the boy name (Jonah) and girl name (Elliot), I was 100% happy with them. But that was just my method. It's a really hard decision.
    my read shelf:

[IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o53/andrea12481/50in12.jpg[/IMG]
  • i really like both names you picked. 

i was set on my girl name.  one day i remember walking to work and thinking well- that's it- it's going to be bridget. (we didn't know what we were having).

boy names were harder.  we weren't set on one even when i went into labor - maybe that's why it was a girl :)

• i'm not a mom, but DH and I are TTC and we've already decided we dont want to know the sex, or pick a name before the child is born. Sure, we'll look at names and make lists of what we like, but I really don't think you can name someone before you meet them. The name my mom was calling me during her pregnancy (and the name that was on my nursery door when I came home from the hospital) is NOT my name. She said when she saw me it just didnt feel right, lol. So i'm def not gonna lock in on a name till i see my baby :)

And even with my dog... all my life i wanted a female boston named Lucy... well I fell in love with a male boston and took him home and obviously didnt name him lucy! lol, so I def think you should wait and see what feels right.

and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image zoieglow:
    .  and girl name (Elliot)

I didn't realize that Elliot was making a mark as a girl's name now.   I always think of Elliot Gould...