Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

*ali* Polar Bear Plunge

BooHoo, what will you do this year?

C&P

The City of Kirkland regrets to announce that due to budget reductions and position vacancies, the 2010 New Year?s Day Polar Bear Plunge is cancelled.  The City has organized and managed this popular tradition for 7 years.  Persons or businesses interested in sponsoring future events are encouraged to contact Mike Metteer, Parks & Community Services Department at 425-587-3380

Somehow, I find this funny. Do they really need staff for some people to run into the water, turn around, and get out of the water?

I'd vote we host our own, but I'll be in NOLA. If you are the grand hostess, be sure to post pics.

Newlyweds since 2007

Re: *ali* Polar Bear Plunge

• Hey!  If you want, the City of Redmond is doing one!  All money goes to Special Olympics!
    J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I saw this in the Kirkland paper a few days ago... remind me again why we need a big budget for a whole bunch of us to go jump in the lake?

2012 Racing Plans:
    Valentine's Day Dash 5k, 02/11/2012, 33:03
    Seahawks 12k, 04/01/2012, 1:23:17
    Bellevue 10k, 04/29/2012
    Beat the Bridge 8k, 05/20/2012
    Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon, 06/23/2012
    ...more to come!
  • I agree that it sounds really funny.  Smile  I've never done a polar bear plunge, but I know that when they did this in my town back in Colorado, they had rescue personnel there in case anyone needed emergency services.  They also had people serving hot chocolate and that kind of thing.
    ~~~~Carrie & Shawn~~~~December 21, 2007~~~~ image
    Our Blog!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • wow, i'm surprised they need a budget for that!
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • Come to think of it, that is weird.  The Redmond one is volunteer run, no one gets paid to be there.  Parks is usually shorter staffed in the winter anyway...could someone not articulate that jumping into cold water was an "important" part of the budget?  Hmm
    J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The Resolution Run 5k and polar bear dip is an option too. There is a free chili feed afterwards for participants and families.
  • Ah darn, I guess I'll just have to miss out this year! I'm not so sure I'm feeling like putting on a swimsuit just yet. *munches another cookie*

That was so funny 'meeting' you there!!