BNOTB
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

S/O Conrad and Hyfa's Present Posts (long, as always lol)

A few years ago, after realizing that we have 12 adults and 6 kids to buy for, we decided to draw names, and now we've resorted to just buying a grab bag-type gift that we play a game to figure out who gets what gift.  We also buy for the 6 kids.  M and I generally get my mom a gift as well.

My one SIL posted a note the other day about her intense hatred for Christmas, and how it has turned into this big gift grub and how it's all commercial and how she feels grinchy and what not.  It made me really sad to think that she seriously HATES the holidays so much, and it makes me wonder what she thinks of our family gifting.  I know that going to the ILs is never fun, especially when staying overnight, but I've never heard her voice such a strong opinion about actually hating it so much.

Anyways...it made me think about how frustrating it must be for them (and other members of my family) who have SO much financial burden and SO many gifts to buy.  We don't have such a burden, as we don't have kids to buy for yet, and M's side of the family doesn't so much do gifts, except for Grandma. But really - to buy for 6 kids is a lot, even without everyone else to buy for.

SO...this year at Christmas I thought about proposing that next year, we just do one grab bag gift for the kids, just like we do for the adults.  Thing is, I can see a couple of my parent-siblings being offended by this.  I think that coming from me, it would come across the wrong way.  (Since I don't have kids, and in essence, M and I would basically just get out of buying $100+ in gifts for kids, since we don't have any kids to participate in the cousins exchange, which isn't why I would be bringing it up). 

I could care less if we save money or time - we aren't hurting financially, and it took me a whole 20 minutes in Target to shop for them, which I actually enjoyed!  I just can see how it's a burden for other members of the family who are beginning to dread the holidays, what with all the gifts they have to buy. 

So...is there a way you can see to bring this up without coming across like we don't want to buy gifts for our nephews and niece?

Re: S/O Conrad and Hyfa's Present Posts (long, as always lol)

• H's family draws names for everyone. Kids included. Then they kids get to choose gifts for the people they draw. It's alot of fun to see what a six year old picks. : )

Last year the youngest got my name and I got three skeins of yarn in flourescent pink, flourescent blue, and black with neon colored flecks. Bahaha I've used them too.

It makes if fun wondering what you'll get.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My brothers, sister-in-laws, DH and I would all draw names....but with this change I think I'm even more excited about Christmas than I have been in years! :)

Me:32 DH:33
    Married Sept 2008
    ~~TTC Nov 2010~~
    Jan 2012 - SA, low numbers and also low T
    Mar 2013 - see first Uro - recommends seeing RE
    May 2012 - see RE who recommends a new Uro who specializes in MFI
    May 2012 - HSG: tubes clear
    DH Surgery: 8/30/12- Bi-lateral Varicocele repair
    Wait
    IUI#1:12/19/12-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(7M post wash)+ progesterone= BFN
    SA:1/11/12- 38%motility, 2% morph
    IUI #2: 1/21/13-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(8M post wash) + progesterone= BFP!! EDD 10/13/13
    Beta #1=81.1 Beta #2=134.5 Beta #3=58.1 #4=2369 WTH?!-Not sure if its viable
    2/21/13 - Went to RE expecting the worse and saw the flutter of the heart...still measuring small. To God be the Glory!!
    2/28/13 - heart rate = 147bpm!! Measuring on target!
    3/21 - First OB Appt
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
  • For the Aunt's, Uncles and Cousins on my Dad's side, we have a big pot luck party at a different person's home every year, and it's so much fun.  Who ever is hosting usually picks the way the gifts are going to go - either its yankee swap style, or we all draw names.  Sometimes there is a spending limit, sometimes not. 

Personally, I like drawing names and finding the best gift I can for that person, that meets my budget. 

It all got started by an email for a family member (I don't even remember who it was) who said, "hey - do you think it would be fun to try a gift exchange this year?"  There were no hard feelings, and everyone really liked the idea. We've never included my Nana in the gift swap because everyone always wanted to get her something, but she said this year, that she really wanted to join in, so even Nana is in this year.

• For all of my mom's side of teh family we buy a $10-$15 gender neutral gift and then play dirty santa. It's hilarious!

Me:32 DH:33
    Married Sept 2008
    ~~TTC Nov 2010~~
    Jan 2012 - SA, low numbers and also low T
    Mar 2013 - see first Uro - recommends seeing RE
    May 2012 - see RE who recommends a new Uro who specializes in MFI
    May 2012 - HSG: tubes clear
    DH Surgery: 8/30/12- Bi-lateral Varicocele repair
    Wait
    IUI#1:12/19/12-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(7M post wash)+ progesterone= BFN
    SA:1/11/12- 38%motility, 2% morph
    IUI #2: 1/21/13-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(8M post wash) + progesterone= BFP!! EDD 10/13/13
    Beta #1=81.1 Beta #2=134.5 Beta #3=58.1 #4=2369 WTH?!-Not sure if its viable
    2/21/13 - Went to RE expecting the worse and saw the flutter of the heart...still measuring small. To God be the Glory!!
    2/28/13 - heart rate = 147bpm!! Measuring on target!
    3/21 - First OB Appt
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~