June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

"How do you like married life?" responses

I assume that many of you, like me, are still often asked "How's married life?" or some variation of that. I answer, "I really like it a lot." And people seem to be amused by this response. Which I think is kind of weird.

How have you been answering? Any good stories?

image image
October 2013 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
EDD 10/3/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Re: "How do you like married life?" responses

• Well, since DH and I have been together for over 10 years and lived together for two years before the wedding, we say "It's exactly the same, except his left hand is heavier now". :) Sometimes he also adds that our parents don't call as much.
    We have so much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.
    My Bio (wedding pics added 7/6)
    My 101
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I usually reply "same as engaged life, other than my last name". And people laugh, and it's all awkward.

I'm friends with everybody in this office. We're all best friends - I love everybody here. But sometimes your best friends start coming into work late, and start having dentist appointments that aren't dentist appointments. And that's when it is nice to let them know that you can beat them up.
  • Thank God no one asks us this, I think having the babies first helped with that.I have replied "It sucks" before to a nosy Nelly and that shut the person up.
  • i despise this question, as well as small talk of all types. you seriously cannot think of anything better to ask me or talk about? i had this question asked to me probably 15 times this weekend. and i always say, "it's fine."

and then it is followed by awkward silence. what do they expect? at some point, i'm going to answer with "it's terrible! biggest mistake i have ever made." just to see the reaction.

• I get this question a lot as well as "how's married life treating you"

My normal response is it doesn't feel any different.  We've been together for 7 years, lived together for 4 years.  The only real difference is my last name and our joint account (which we still don't really use).

• image Leigha12:
    "It's exactly the same, except his left hand is heavier now"..

THIS. Nearly 10 years together + almost 8 living together - what do you people think is going to change?

But in the right company (read: people I don't give a sh!t about) I say "It is horrible. Worst decision I've ever made. Don't get married" in a completely stone straight face. The next few minutes of silence are always priceless.

From Oy Vey to Ole!

I survived the RoLex wedding and all I got was this lousy husband.
    One&Only Palmilla - Los Cabos, Mexico
  • I always say the same thing, "We're 5 months in and haven't screwed it up yet!" Seriously, what do people want to hear? We too have been together for a long time -- 7+ years together, 6+ years of living together. It's always been just the two of us living far, far away from our families, and doing our own thing. What's really going to change?
  • I hate this question as well, what do people really expect you to say?  Depending on who is asking, I generally tell them "since we were shacking up before, marriage really just resulted in nice rings."
  • Ha ha! Your responses are really funny. I actually don't mind the question. I just don't know what people want to hear and I really don't understand why my response is funny to them. And it seems like no matter what you answer, it gets awkward afterwards.

Maybe next time I'll just say, "the sex is great."

image image
    October 2013 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    EDD 10/3/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • I don't mind the question either. Maybe because I like the feeling that others recognize the major life milestone that happened to me this year and possibly have a vague interest in it.
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • It depends on who asks. I think some peple (single/engaged/young friends) really are just curious as to what it's like, if it's different, etc. So I tell them the truth. I explain what didn't change and what did, how I feel sometimes about using my married name (or when I slip up), etc. It's not hearts and flowers or doom and gloom or even a comedy routine -- I think there are a lot of people who are really just curious about if/how "marriage" changes you.

If it's distant/older family, I smile and do the "Oh, marriage is wonderful!" song and dance because really, they're asking out of habit and it's what they want to hear.

If it's someone I know has a crummy marriage and/or is an "I hate/don't "belive in" marriage" person, I know they're only asking because misery loves company, and I usually just jibe back with "When you actually care about your partner and work at your relationship, marriage is wonderful. Why, how's yours?" (This really only pertains to a few very specific people who just bug this living sh*t out of me and deserve the snark....)

Photobucket
  • I'm busting out the "well, the sex is great" line the next time someone asks me this question. That's effing hilarious.
    I'm friends with everybody in this office. We're all best friends - I love everybody here. But sometimes your best friends start coming into work late, and start having dentist appointments that aren't dentist appointments. And that's when it is nice to let them know that you can beat them up.
  • I get this about every two weeks form a co-worker and I just say we are enjoying our time with each other. Most of my co-workers know that we are doing fun things and that we are enjoying it very much.

I do get called Mrs. Porter all the time by some co-workers but at least I am getting use to being called that.

• I say its great...he's never home.  Joking, of course, but it shuts them up.
    BFP#1 11.9.10 (EDD 7.15.11) M/C 11.13.10 @5W1D
    BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11 due to Pre-E
    BFP#3 10.2.12 (EDD 6.12.13) MMC 11.24.12 @11.5w, had passed in 7th week
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~