Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Re: Totally called the DD

• Shocked, SHOCKED, I tell ya!  People hate to be called out on THEIR contribution to a problem, and to their poor choices. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I'm just surprised she could afford a honeymoon, a wedding (but not grandma's meal!), and internet... but NOT A CAR!!!!

She does realize that you can get a cheap used car that isn't going to look pretty but will get you from point A to point B, without be in debt to your IL's right?

• listen folks - i agree with you all about 95% of the time on EVERYTHING.  but even i can see that sometimes, these retards actually come here for some help.  so, yes, we can lay into them and give them what for, or you know, you can contriubute a little more positively.

i'm all for raking people through the coals for sport, but don't you get tired of tooting how right you are?  all the time?

who am i talking to?  well, if you are offended by this post, it's probably you.

• image boobytrap:

listen folks - i agree with you all about 95% of the time on EVERYTHING.  but even i can see that sometimes, these retards actually come here for some help.  so, yes, we can lay into them and give them what for, or you know, you can contriubute a little more positively.

i'm all for raking people through the coals for sport, but don't you get tired of tooting how right you are?  all the time?

who am i talking to?  well, if you are offended by this post, it's probably you.

Their idea of help is a pat on the back and a cookie for acting like an entitled brat.  Can't exactly contribute a little more positively to that. 

• I never claimed that I was in the right.  I know I messed up.

As for the car thing, you guys really don't know what you're talking about.  Our church wedding was completely paid for before Christmas, so when my car completely died in late April it was impossible for me to use that money for a used car.  Could we have afforded a used car?  Probably yes.  Did I want to have to dip into savings to buy it? No.

We've already returned MIL's car, so that's over with.  The only reason we had it in the first place is because I caved when DH wanted to accept it.

I was asking about what I can do now, not asking people to criticize things they only know a little bit about.  I guess this isn't the right place to get advice. 

• image alberry87:
    We've already returned MIL's car, so that's over with.  The only reason we had it in the first place is because I caved when DH wanted to accept it.

I was asking about what I can do now, not asking people to criticize things they only know a little bit about.  I guess this isn't the right place to get advice. 

That 'caving'?  That's the DH issue that's the root of this.

Because you 2 aren't on the same page.  And until you are? nothing will improve.

But, yeah, it's not the right place to get advice if by 'advice' you mean 'people saying what you want to hear'.

Of course we're giving advice on things we only know a little about...ALL we know is what you post.  The rest we have to consult magic 8 balls for.  If NONE of us 'got' what you were saying either there is a reading comprehension disease that has infected 100 people on 50 different states OR you need to figure out how to communicate online in a written format better.

• Okay, so I've been stuck grading this morning and missed this little gem.  Would someone please give me a recap?
  • image alberry87:

I never claimed that I was in the right.  I know I messed up.

As for the car thing, you guys really don't know what you're talking about.  Our church wedding was completely paid for before Christmas, so when my car completely died in late April it was impossible for me to use that money for a used car.  Could we have afforded a used car?  Probably yes.  Did I want to have to dip into savings to buy it? No.

and that's what i was referring to.  obv the car thing was ridic - i am not going to argue with anyone on that. 

BUT, from what this person posted, she has a substantial probelm now.  so, what's the point of 27 people mentioning the car and little attention spent on the actual problem?

i don't sense this nestie wants a cookie - and i agree with you, many do.  for the most part, nobody wants to post to then find out they are wrong, obv.  but i do think this person was legitimately asking for advice.  and if you have advice - why not help? 

• image boobytrap:

i don't sense this nestie wants a cookie - and i agree with you, many do.  for the most part, nobody wants to post to then find out they are wrong, obv.  but i do think this person was legitimately asking for advice.  and if you have advice - why not help? 

We did.  she ignored all that to DD and focus on the advice she was getting ont he car thing.

although the car thing IS NOT a little thing.  It's huge--it's straight back at why she and her DH aren't on the same page, her DH choosing mom's side over hers, and the $$$ issues that are at the root of so many marriage failings.

• image alberry87:

Then you need to clarify and explain too.  People jumped on the car thing (me included), but you could have come back and explained that situation better. Instead, you didn't and you just DD'd your post. 

We dont' know you. We can only go by the words you type out.  If people are jumping on something that you feel is inaccurate, then CLEAR IT UP. 

But - as others have pointed out, the fact that your DH caved on taking the car from him mom speaks in VOLUMES that you and he are not on the same page and until you are, nothing will ever get better. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• image alberry87:

Your post was really confusing. I thought you still had your MIL's car based on what you wrote, when apparently you've already returned it. You also included a lot of details that made you look bad (like the rehearsal dinner thing), instead of being clear about what you were asking. From what I recall, you were asking if you should skip Christmas at the MIL's house. I also recall that there was a unanimous response that YES, you should. The rest of the responses were along the lines of owning your part in the bad relationship and looking at how your H has contributed to the bad relationship.

Honestly, the biggest problem here isn't the crazy MIL (and I agree she sounds nutty) or you. It's your H, who doesn't tell his mom about problems, agreed to take her car, and let you send her that email instead of dealing with it himself. It's his mom. He should be the one communicating with her about problems. Instead he's standing back and letting you jump in, which is souring the relationship with your MIL. I'd have a long talk with your H about how he needs to step up in this situation. 
  • i don't sense this nestie wants a cookie - and i agree with you, many do.  for the most part, nobody wants to post to then find out they are wrong, obv.  but i do think this person was legitimately asking for advice.  and if you have advice - why not help? 

I sensed she did.

I think she was looking for people to agree with her and since we didn't the story has now changed, become more specific, we dont know etc.

Did the situation and responses hit to close to home for you? you stated I believe (and I cant check due to DD) that you were in a similar situation. Is that why you are trying so hard to defend OP? Is there some other connection? Can't figure out why you are so interested in OP and how others responded to her post.

• image boobytrap:

listen folks - i agree with you all about 95% of the time on EVERYTHING.  but even i can see that sometimes, these retards actually come here for some help.  so, yes, we can lay into them and give them what for, or you know, you can contriubute a little more positively.

The only thing offensive in this post is your inappropriate use of a word.

image Visit The Nest! Love to scrapbook!
  • image magsugar13:

I sensed she did.

I think she was looking for people to agree with her and since we didn't the story has now changed, become more specific, we dont know etc.

Did the situation and responses hit to close to home for you? you stated I believe (and I cant check due to DD) that you were in a similar situation. Is that why you are trying so hard to defend OP? Is there some other connection? Can't figure out why you are so interested in OP and how others responded to her post.

yes, there was somewhat of a connection, which is why i took *this* opportunity to say what i am constantly thinking when i read many of the responses on TIP, FM and RL. 

i wasn't really trying to defend her, b/c i think in many ways, her actions were not defendable (is that a word?).  but i was once younger and dumber than i am now and it was a strategy of mine to hope like hell that my crazy ILs were not actually crazy.  when you are hoping and wishing like i was (and like she is) and not doing/saying something, it's a bad approach.

however, it was the only approach i knew at the time.  and you know what?  i had to get over that and learn how to communcate better and to be a little more grown up in my reactions and actions.

her actual question: what do i do NOW?  yes, i do feel bad for her - and thought that your smartiepants (so many of you are wise) could help her FFS.

• image MarynJoe:
    image boobytrap:

The only thing offensive in this post is your inappropriate use of a word.

ditto

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/b4fbk9.jpg[/IMG]

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/2/2zqfbk5cp.png[/IMG][/URL]

Even the upper crust can make a typeos.
  • image alberry87:

I have a savings account and it's there for emergencies.  If my car dies completely and I need a new one guess where I'm looking for the money?  That's what it's there for!!!!  You can sure as hell bet I'm not running to my IL's... I'm running to my bank.

You claim your DH was behind the whole car debacle, but here you say that you could have afforded one but you didn't want to dip into savings... so what was your plan then?  Did you run out and get a bus card?  Doubt it... more like you and your DH thought getting a car for free from the IL's would be a great idea.  Wrong.  And now that you've been called out on it you're blaming your DH.

The car thing is such a big deal to so many of the posters because it's a great example of your problem.  You think your MIL is bad, you're FURIOUS that she shows up at your actual wedding, you're FURIOUS that she chooses to spend her money the way she pleases, but you're not FURIOUS enough to dip into your savings for an emergency like getting a car.  Nope, you'd rather sponge of your MIL, and then get mad when she sets the rules.

Of course you don't go to Christmas there, but you also don't send nasty emails either.  What do you do at this point?  Talk to your DH, get on the same page, have a sit down conversation with your MIL after the holidays where you and DH apologize profusely for telling her about where you were getting married and then throwing a fit when she arrived, trying to dictate how she spends her money, sponging off of her for a car, and whatever else you two nitwits managed to do but you haven't posted here.  Yes, she does sound a little nutty (then again, if my son was marrying you I can't imagine how I would feel) but maybe once she sees that you two "adults" are taking responsibility things will lighten up.  At the very least you will know that you and DH have done the right thing.

• image arlhello:
    image alberry87:

I have a savings account and it's there for emergencies.  If my car dies completely and I need a new one guess where I'm looking for the money?  That's what it's there for!!!!  You can sure as hell bet I'm not running to my IL's... I'm running to my bank.

You claim your DH was behind the whole car debacle, but here you say that you could have afforded one but you didn't want to dip into savings... so what was your plan then?  Did you run out and get a bus card?  Doubt it... more like you and your DH thought getting a car for free from the IL's would be a great idea.  Wrong.  And now that you've been called out on it you're blaming your DH.

The car thing is such a big deal to so many of the posters because it's a great example of your problem.  You think your MIL is bad, you're FURIOUS that she shows up at your actual wedding, you're FURIOUS that she chooses to spend her money the way she pleases, but you're not FURIOUS enough to dip into your savings for an emergency like getting a car.  Nope, you'd rather sponge of your MIL, and then get mad when she sets the rules.

Of course you don't go to Christmas there, but you also don't send nasty emails either.  What do you do at this point?  Talk to your DH, get on the same page, have a sit down conversation with your MIL after the holidays where you and DH apologize profusely for telling her about where you were getting married and then throwing a fit when she arrived, trying to dictate how she spends her money, sponging off of her for a car, and whatever else you two nitwits managed to do but you haven't posted here.  Yes, she does sound a little nutty (then again, if my son was marrying you I can't imagine how I would feel) but maybe once she sees that you two "adults" are taking responsibility things will lighten up.  At the very least you will know that you and DH have done the right thing.

This.  OP, our advice is only as good as your post, so if you want completely relevant information, you have to present the facts honestly and completely. 

That being said, the bottom line remains the same.  You and your DH have got to be on the same page and have to act as a unified force when dealing with any external parties, MILs, FILs, etc. et al.  If you want to be treated like an adult, you have to act like one.  That means you dip into your savings when something goes wrong with your car.  That's what savings are for, anyway. 

• yes, there was somewhat of a connection, which is why i took *this* opportunity to say what i am constantly thinking when i read many of the responses on TIP, FM and RL. 

But you said in the other post that you agree with us 95% of the time. so, which is it, do you agree with us 95% of the time, or do you constantly disagree and think we are bullies? It can't be both ways.

• image alberry87:

Could we have afforded a used car?  Probably yes.  Did I want to have to dip into savings to buy it? No.

Im sorry but you sound like an idiot...The "grown up" thing to do is: DIP INTO YOUR SAVINGS!

Are you joking? You'd rather continue to borrow from your MIL (that you hate) than to buy YOUR OWN car?

Yep....You are an "entitled brat"

• image magsugar13:

yes, there was somewhat of a connection, which is why i took *this* opportunity to say what i am constantly thinking when i read many of the responses on TIP, FM and RL. 

But you said in the other post that you agree with us 95% of the time. so, which is it, do you agree with us 95% of the time, or do you constantly disagree and think we are bullies? It can't be both ways.

why can't it be both?  it is both.  most of you are often right, but the way you blast it at people is quite unhelpful.

get it? 

basically, your delivery stinks.  it's not the content you put forth, it's the shaming way it is delivered. 

ETA: "you" = the general group

• Why? I guess because in math 95% i agree and I constantly feel that you attack don't add up that is why! Do the math. You can't agree 95% of  the time, yet constantly feel we are bullies.

So according to YOUR logic YOU are included in "the group" 95% of the time. But the other 5% you should be able to complain about it. A little hypocritical isn't it?

We've said it before and I'm sure we'll say it again, if you don't like the adivce don't read it or listen to it. YOU don't get to decide HOW we respond or what approach we take delivering it.

• image boobytrap:
    image magsugar13:

why can't it be both?  it is both.  most of you are often right, but the way you blast it at people is quite unhelpful.

get it? 

basically, your delivery stinks.  it's not the content you put forth, it's the shaming way it is delivered. 

Why on earth would you think that's the way to change the delivery?

Not only are you coming into an established group with an established pattern and saying "you're all doing it wrong...do it MY way instead", you're doing it by saying "see...in this case you were all right but, still, it's different'.  (I'm sure with a little effort, you'd have found a much 'better' example of why we all suck at our delivery) --this is NOT an approach that works to change things  (in part because it works under the assumption that 1-we're willing to agree that it's a problem and 2-we are willing to change even ifw e agreed on #1.  And we don't)

If you've lurked more than 10 days or so, you know that the "you are so meeeeaaaan" BS is common.  Like it or not, your post comes across that same way.  

(and you REALLY think 95% of the time, the delivery is bad?  If you really think it's that bad, that often...well, that's when I start thinking on the 'look, there are 30000000 message boards for relationship advice.  One of them won't be 'mean' 95% of the time.  Perhaps you'd fit better in there'--because at some point, it's downright rude to come into an established group and, instead of being willing to bend your wishes to their established 'rules', you demand they all bend to your wishes. 

And that's what your ranting in this post sounds like..."you're great, but you'd all be BETTER if you did it MY way.  So...do it my way"  Which gets a 'uh...NO" from me)

• image magsugar13:

Why? I guess because in math 95% i agree and I constantly feel that you attack don't add up that is why! Do the math. You can't agree 95% of  the time, yet constantly feel we are bullies.

So according to YOUR logic YOU are included in "the group" 95% of the time. But the other 5% you should be able to complain about it. A little hypocritical isn't it?

We've said it before and I'm sure we'll say it again, if you don't like the adivce don't read it or listen to it. YOU don't get to decide HOW we respond or what approach we take delivering it.

i can agree with your message and still think that you are disrespectful, overbearing and in your face about how you communicate this. 

not sure why YOU aren't GETTING this.  (lol @ the caps).

• image GBCK:
    image boobytrap:
    image magsugar13:

get it? 

Not only are you coming into an established group with an established pattern and saying "you're all doing it wrong...do it MY way instead", you're doing it by saying "see...in this case you were all right but, still, it's different'.  (I'm sure with a little effort, you'd have found a much 'better' example of why we all suck at our delivery) --this is NOT an approach that works to change things  (in part because it works under the assumption that 1-we're willing to agree that it's a problem and 2-we are willing to change even ifw e agreed on #1.  And we don't)

If you've lurked more than 10 days or so, you know that the "you are so meeeeaaaan" BS is common.  Like it or not, your post comes across that same way.  

(and you REALLY think 95% of the time, the delivery is bad?  If you really think it's that bad, that often...well, that's when I start thinking on the 'look, there are 30000000 message boards for relationship advice.  One of them won't be 'mean' 95% of the time.  Perhaps you'd fit better in there'--because at some point, it's downright rude to come into an established group and, instead of being willing to bend your wishes to their established 'rules', you demand they all bend to your wishes. 

And that's what your ranting in this post sounds like..."you're great, but you'd all be BETTER if you did it MY way.  So...do it my way"  Which gets a 'uh...NO" from me)

uh, this is way beyond any discussion i am willing to engage in.  you clearly need a new hobby.  you are way too invested in random, anonymous message board advice giving. 

i'm pretty sure that mapsugar is embarassed by your response. 
    you = a whole other level!

• image boobytrap:
    image magsugar13:

Why? I guess because in math 95% i agree and I constantly feel that you attack don't add up that is why! Do the math. You can't agree 95% of  the time, yet constantly feel we are bullies.

i can agree with your message and still think that you are disrespectful, overbearing and in your face about how you communicate this. 

I'm not sure why YOU aren't getting the fact that know one gives a shiot what you think about the way WE respond to posts.

you are way too invested in random, anonymous message board advice giving. 

Funny you seem to have the same problem. Pot meet kettle.

• image magsugar13:
    image boobytrap:
    image magsugar13:

I'm not sure why YOU aren't getting the fact that know one gives a shiot what you think about the way WE respond to posts.

no actually, i'm talking about why can't you understand that someone can agree with your point and still think that your delivery is unsavory (see italics above).  remember?  the conversation we've been having the past hour or so?  hello?  attention span much?

i guess it's hard to have a coherant exchange when you are trying to chew people out?

• image boobytrap:

Indifferent

::headdesk::

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image boobytrap:
    image magsugar13:
    image boobytrap:
    image magsugar13:

no actually, i'm talking about why can't you understand that someone can agree with your point and still think that your delivery is unsavory (see italics above).  remember?  the conversation we've been having the past hour or so?  hello?  attention span much?

i guess it's hard to have a coherant exchange when you are trying to chew people out?

No, it's hard to have a conversation with a hypocrite.

Would you say this approach is better..... but even i can see that sometimes, these retards actually come here for some help

Your delivery is much more superior than the rest of us...oh, silly me, what was I thinking? We should all just call people retards, that would be much more helpful.

• Most of the responses appear to be covered by the "well, if you are offended by this post, it's probably you".

I get what Booby is saying.  Here's a dramatic reenactment of the phenomenon she's describing, America's Most Wanted-style:

Idiot with self-inflicted problem:  Help, I have this problem that's everyone else and not me.  What do I do?

FM/TIP/RE regular:   You handled this like a jackass, and actually, a lot of the problem is you.

Idiot:  Okay, well, even if I did contribute to the problem, what do I do now to fix it?

FM/TIP/RE regular:  You're the WHOLE problem, you braying ass.  Can't you see how stupid you were to get yourself into that situation?

Idiot:  Maybe... but what do I do now?

FM/TIP/RE regular:  I can't believe that you got yourself into this.  You're such a blithering idiot.

Idiot:  WHAT DO I DO NOW?

FM/TIP/RE regular:  Have I mentioned yet how stupid you are to be in this situation in the first place?

• image boobytrap:
    image GBCK:
    image boobytrap:
    image magsugar13:

get it? 

uh, this is way beyond any discussion i am willing to engage in.  you clearly need a new hobby.  you are way too invested in random, anonymous message board advice giving. 

i'm pretty sure that mapsugar is embarassed by your response. 
    you = a whole other level!

Of course Confused.  How dare I disagree with your trying to micro-manage this board and everyone on it, that's OBVIOUSLY way to invested...while your micromanaging isn't being over-invested at ALL.

So the question is...which of us is it?