International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

s/o baby names

One of the names Dh and I like for another potential boy is George. It'd go well with W, is very English, and we just like it. But one thing we want to do is, like with W, put a familiy name as his middle name.

How do the following sound with George. (Honestly! We're not sure any of them go very well, and some quite badly! I just can't think of what goes well as a middle name with it.)

George Thomas

George Walter

George John

George Norman

George Charles

George Samuel

George Alan

(We've already ruled out Derek and Kevin as middle names as they're most definitely not our style...)

So what do you think?

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)

Re: s/o baby names

• I like Thomas and Samuel, I think they sound the best!
    DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/jhzsar.jpg[/IMG]
  • Does George Thomas not sound like John Thomas?
  • image andrea922:
    I like Thomas and Samuel, I think they sound the best!

ditto, with Thomas being my fav

• Thanks guys :) I like George Thomas the best myself.
  • Ditto the two mentioned above, but I also think that George Alan sounds quite nice.
  • Another vote for Thomas!  Sounds really nice.

The only one that I'm not so keen on is George John-- it's too Beatles for me, but that's probably way too obscure for 99% of the population.

• We had George on our list as it's my grandfather's name, but it's just too popular, both in the UK and in the US for us.  I agree it goes with William very well though.

I prefer George Walter and then George Samuel.

• Is it really popular in the US as well - I hadn't realised.

We're not sold on it as our next child's  name but, knowing how I hem and haw, I'll probably end up with another uber popular 'classic' name... *sigh*  (Sometimes I really wish I'd gone with Wilfred, not William... just to be a little different.)

• Not uber popular in the US, just above the line we'll choose from.  It was

2008 -- 153

2007 -- 147

2006 -- 152

2005 -- 139

I think the classic names are so popular for a reason.  They are all lovely and have a universal appeal!

• The baby name wizard agrees with you!

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namipedia/boy/william

Look at the sibling suggestions.

• So what's your line then? And are you avoiding similar names to ones above that line?

Dh is definitely more about traditional sounding names. He ruled out Wilfred as too far from mainstream.

• The line is always moving but it's at around 300 right now.  So I think Oscar is off our list.  It's also a bit confusing since we're more concerned with the popularity of the name in the UK (since we live here) but I still don't think  I'd choose a name if it was really popular in the US.  I'm not worrying about any other countries, like France for example, where our girls choice is like number 1 or 2.

I'm not sure about using using similar names.  It's a discussion we're having at the moment since we both really like Archibald, which isn't popular anywhere, but Archie (which he'd go by) is number 35 or so here.

• That's what put us off Henry as a first name (Harry was just too popular). But now Henry is ridiculously popular in its own right, so it's just as well.

Of course, it's not like William is one of hte most popular boys' names ever...

I love French girls' names. At least some - you know how I love Agnes. And Francoise.

• I like Thomas, Charles, and Samuel. I've always liked the name George! 

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Nelia has read 39 books toward her goal of 100 books.
    hide
  • I like George Alan, George Samuel and George Thomas but none of the others roll off the tongue easily for me.
  • I agree with everyone who says Thomas and Samuel. 
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/t/tni0u2adc.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • I really like George Samuel, Thomas is nice too.  George Alan remembers me of Senator George Alan from Virginia who was suppose to be the Republican candidate for the 2008 presidential election but in ended up acting like an idiot in the  2007 primaries and lost to Senator Webb.  Highly doubt anyone would know that unless they followed politics but it was the first thing that popped in my head -- haven't thought about him in a while (sorry to side track).  

What if you have a girl? 

International Nesties June Siggy Challenge: Place I would like to visit.... Dead Sea, Jordan! Only a few more months!