Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Tukwila questions ???

I am moving to Tukwila in january. My mother says its an old neighborhood but its pretty safe but I want to know your opinions about the area. I guess its less than 2 miles to southcenter mall. My mom lives in beacon hill now but Im coming from Atlanta Ga. What are your thoughts on this area(Tukwila). The house we are going to be renting is old and the carpet is unique but it lets me settle and save to buy a house in a year.

Re: Tukwila questions ???

• I'm sure there are safe parts to Tukwila, but the mall area has a serious crime problem.  Google "shootings" and "Southcenter" and you'll find a lot of gang related news items.  I'd do a site check with your neighborhood [drive through at different times of day/night] and even try to call Tukwila PD to see if they'll give you some crime statistics.

It's not the worst place in the region, but it is not somewhere I'd want to live.

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the heads up !! It makes me want to keep searching then... We have not signed a lease yet but its hard to do long distance. I start a job in the first week of january. I will have my mom and her friend go look and check the area out. It may be far away enough from the mall but the landlord told me its less than 2 miles to the mall.
  • If you are working in Tukwila, you might also find areas of Renton or Kent that you'd be interested in renting in.  I'd choose a place south or east of tukwila (downtown renton, skyway, and various areas west of there have similar crime problems), but if you stick to tukwila, further from the mall is desirable because of crime and traffic.
    EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • My job is in the belltown area..?? Renton and Kent I may be able to do,I have to do everything long distance so I will start looking in renton and kent asap. Thanks
  • I dont want that house anymore.. On to the next one.
  • Sorry we're all raining on your parade!  There are a lot of great neighborhoods here, and it's exciting to relocate.  Keep posting, this board is a little slow right now but is a great group of women!
    J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Please dont feel sorry, Im moving here from the other side of the country and I want to be in a safe area.

• What is your rental price limit??  If you are working in Belltown - live in Queen Anne!!
    Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • Some of the better options would be:

Queen Anne, Magnoloia, Ballard, Crown Hill, (parts of) West Seattle, Fremont, Phinney Ridge, Greenwood (All are in Seattle)