Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How can we be the same weight?

My co-worker and I were discussing our body image issues today, and she told me that she weighed 137, same as me. I didn't believe her, because she looks so tiny, and wears a size 4 in our uniforms, at 5'4". I wear a size 8, and am 5'8".

How can that be?

Re: How can we be the same weight?

• You're two different people and one of you probably has more muscle.You also have two different body types.

• It just depends from person to person. My friend actually weighs 15 pounds less than me. We are the same height and I am two sizes smaller than her. I work out. She doesn't.
  • LOL, I just had a similar moment a few weeks ago when DH's cousin told me her weight while discussing WW and my jaw hit the ground because I would have bet money she weighed less than I do.  She weighs 3 pounds more.  The strange part is that I work out like a fiend as compared with her, so I should have more muscle.  OTOH, I have a traditional hourglass shape, while hers is more boxy, so I can only assume her weight is in her mid-section.

• It's really just a difference in body type/ frame.  I am almost your height at 5'7 and look quite thin at 137 and wear a size 4/6.   I weigh more than I look like I weigh; no one ever believes me when I tell them.

ETA: BTW I am about 155 now and wear an 8/10 depending on the brand.  I haven't seen 137 in about 5 years :( 

• I mean...she could be lying.  Right?

But I know what you mean.  I weigh a good ten pounds more than people think I do (people usually guess 115; I weigh 125).  It's all in my calves!

• In college, two other roommates all weighed the same as me, 123 lbs. I am 5'4 and a size 2/4. Another girl was the same height but a size 8 and the other girl was 5'9'' and a size 2/4. We all had very different body types. It just goes to show that weight isn't everything
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know what you mean, my sister is about 30lbs less than me and is way huge.  I am much leaner, not that I am not overweight but not like her.  And I wear a much smaller size in clothes.
  • I'm very close to your height and weight (5'5", 139 lbs) and I wear a size 6 pant and small size tops. I have a medium frame, I'm pear shaped, and I have a lot of muscle in my legs. Fat and muscle weigh the same, but muscle will make you look leaner.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I weigh the same as you and am 5'5" and I wear a size 6.  I see pictures in magazines of people who weigh the same as I do but they are much leaner.  I carry my weight around my midsection. 

A friend of mine recently lost weight and needed new clothes.  I asked her what size she had because I was interested in her old clothes.  I couldn't believe it when she said that she was a 6 because she looked thinner than me even before she lost the weight. 

• At one time I was the same size as DH. We were both around 145.

He is 6"0 and I am 5'5. It can happen. I have boobs, he doesn't. I have a little tush and he does not. He is genetically very thin.

Now there is 10 lb difference between us, which I am grateful for and I will take any more distance between his weight and mine. He is about 150 and I am around 140. 

• It just differs from person to person. It can depend on your build, how much muscle you have, etc. I'm 5'4" ish and weigh between 140-143 right now and I'm a between a 4 and a 6 in pants. I have a medium build and am pretty muscular and people never believe me when I say I weigh as much as I do. Even at my very heaviest after pregnancy (a little over 180) I was only a 10 or 12. My sister, on the other hand is about 3 inches shorter than I am, at least 20 lbs lighter than me and we wear the same size right now. She looks so much smaller than me though...she has a tiny little frame. Nature is weird like that I guess.
  • It happens Stick out tongue

At 125lbs I weigh less than a lot of women I know, but they still wear smaller pants sizes than me because they carry their weight in their midsection and I carry mine in my hips/thighs.

Nevermind me, I'm too distracted by my mini-carrots to think properly image
    ~Fitness Blog~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker