Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

AW, Amnesty Int'l and my fundraiser

So I'm hiking to Macchu Picchu to raise money for my 2 favorite organizations - Amnesty International and the Middle Eastern Children's Alliance.

Last night DH and I attended a lecture by Irene Khan, Secretary General of Amnesty International (it was amazing).  Anywho, I bought her book -  The Unheard Truth - and she signed "Good luck in Macchu Picchu!! - Irene Khan"(!!!)  I've already received a thanks from their regional office, but this was such an honor.  She's so freaking awesome.

This fundraiser has also brought out the best in people I swear - MIL is not only contributing but it inspired her to reach out to me last night (we both love to travel - she's lived in Italy and France, traveled the Transsiberian Railroad from Russia to China by herself, etc.) after our little tiff in Mammoth - I think its a reminder to her of how similar we are (a little Freudian affirmation, know what I mean?)

Re: AW, Amnesty Int'l and my fundraiser

• That's so exciting!  I love Amnesty - proud to say I started the chapter at my high school.  The annual conferences were always a highlight.  Congrats and good luck climbing!
  • Thanks Ladies!

Wishin - I'd be proud of it too - I'm forever grateful to the girl who started our HS chapter as well.  Remember when we actually had to write out the urgent actions?  Or am I just waay older than you LOL?

btw- the annual conference is next wknd in San Francisco!

• Congrats tarinay!

AI is one of my favorite organizations. Actually, the first gift my husband ever gave me when we started dating we a donation to Amnesty :)

I think it's awesome that you're raising money for them (and taking such a cool trip on top of it).

"We tend to be patronizing about the poor in a very specific sense, which is that we tend to think,
  • That's awesome, and you're awesome for doing this! Can't wait to hear about the trip--I know it will be amazing, and what a great feeling to know you're helping people in the process!
  • I do remember all sorts of letter writing campaigns and urgent actions.  Leyla Zana was our regional push while I was in HS.  That's awesome about the conference - too bad I'm on the wrong end of California.  I loved listening to the presentations and talks and what not.  Oh the good old days!
  • T - you are seriously an inspiration.  I don't know if I could do a trip like that by myself, but the whole idea behind it is so awesome, what a great cause.  How exciting to get your book signed by IK and being honored like that.

And nice that your MIL and you were able to patch it up and bond over this:)

Just celebrated 6 blessed wedded years! 9.24.06
    image image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image Earls_Bride:

T - you are seriously an inspiration.  I don't know if I could do a trip like that by myself, but the whole idea behind it is so awesome, what a great cause.  How exciting to get your book signed by IK and being honored like that.

And nice that your MIL and you were able to patch it up and bond over this:)

Awe thanks R:) 

• This is wonderful! Congratulations! I'm a big supporter of AI. They (and HRW and other orgs) are central contributors to my research. The more I learn about them the more I realize how vast and critical their scope of work is.Awesome cause!
  • image loved:
    This is wonderful! Congratulations! I'm a big supporter of AI. They (and HRW and other orgs) are central contributors to my research. The more I learn about them the more I realize how vast and critical their scope of work is.Awesome cause!

Thanks Babe! You're awesome yourself!