June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Haunted Houses

H and I were watching America Haunts on the travel channel last night. We saw a feature on Pennhurst State School or Pennhurst Insane Asylum. It is located in SE Pennsylvania. SO SCARY! It's an abandoned mental institution that was its own community, they had a barber shop, general store etc...all the buildings are connected by these amazing tunnels. I mean honestly, they don't even have to stage it to be scary. I got the chills a couple of times just watching the tour. EEK! They are currently staging it now to be ready next October. It really almost made me want to go to PA just to see it! (and Mames, Philly and the other PA girls of course!) Have you heard anything about it? Here are some images from it.

?http://tinyurl.com/yg7l7sk

Made me remember how much I love a good haunted house. Do you? I was surprised to see last night that it's actually a big business, complete with sound and lighting pros and set/costume designers etc...

I was telling D that the scariest one I have ever personally been to was in Apopka, FL (outside Orlando). It was a 3-story farmhouse where a family of 5 was actually murdered. I was standing outside waiting to go in and I saw these shadows moving in the trees (I am deathly afraid of forests as it is). I looked again and there were these long, skinny figures moving around. Well, there were people on stilts covered with black sheets coming out of the woods. But only a few, like 3 of them. I would look again and they would be in the creepiest weird crouching position, then they'd get up and cover like 25 feet in 2 seconds. It was the scariest and most surreal thing I remember seeing. I about peed my pants.

Any good Haunted House stories??

Re: Haunted Houses

• Ahh!  PA's Famous!

I have driven by there, does that count??  It's not to far from me.

I've never actually had the guts to get out of the car; and besides it's often patrolled with cops and want not.  It I'm not mistaken, I think that one of the buildings is currently a home for veterans.  I have a feeling it's similar to byberry.

I love all things haunted though.  Back in high school/college there was a place out here called Satain's Run.  Long dark narrow road, with all the trees facing in (they have since cut back the trees, so it's not as scary), but all the street sign's are covered with spray paint (KKK, do not enter, go back).  But you have to make sure you have a fast car, as if "they" see you, they will chase you out (apparently there is a church, but I've never seen it).

I'm not sure if other states have it, but there is a book, called Weird PA, and I know there is one for Jerzey, that tells about all the haunted/freaky things in the area.

• I am a big baby when it comes to anything scary. And I mean anything. I have to use a lot of courage to watch Ghost Whisperer and I prefer to watch it during the day. I don't really understand why people want to make themselves scared. It's not a good emotion - why do it voluntarily?

C is a HUGE fan of anything scary and LOVES Haunted Houses. For our first date with another couple this past weekend they wanted to go to a Haunted House so I had to gather all my courage but still expected to chicken out at the last second (which I've done many times before). As we were walking up to the entrance, these 8 year olds came out and were saying how cool and fun it was. I felt like a big loser chickening out of something 8 year olds were ok with. So I lost my Haunted House virginity but spent the whole time screaming at the people before they could scare me.

I'm a wuss.

image image
    October 2013 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    EDD 10/3/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • The people from Ghost Adventures (on the Travel or Discovery Channel, I can't remember which) are going to do a live thing from the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum this weekend and it is only about an our or two from my house! I had never heard of it before, but am so intrigued now. It looks so spooky and interesting.

Anyway, I LOVE haunted houses I think they are so fun and give you a chance to get scared, but in the end you know nothing is going to happen. On that note, when I was about 13 I went on vacation with my friend's family to Gatlinburg, TN. There they have a Ripley's Believe It or Not Haunted House. It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my life. We had to get in a line and put our hands on the shoulders of the person in front of us. Somehow we managed to end up in the back. We fought over who had to be last. And of course someone jumps out and grabs you at some point. Then, when I was in last a scary, masked figure came up and started walking behind me like he was part of the group. I almost peed my pants! But, I have always wanted to go back to that haunted house. . .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.12
    <a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/chaleybeth06/?action=view
  • http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=trans-allegheny+lunatic+asylum&gbv=2&aq=0&oq=trans-alleg&aqi=g1

Here is the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. It looks similar to the place you posted, angelfire!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.12
    <a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/chaleybeth06/?action=view
  • Kaley-that looks awesome and just as terrifying!!! You totally have to go and take lots of good pics!!?

philly-Satan's run sounds really scary and creepy, I love it!

zee-I like the theatrics of a haunted house and the imagination that goes into more than anything else. I can't stand scary or horror movies and refuse to watch them.