Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Public Bathroom Etiquette

Based on my own observations, I think there should be a remedial class on basic public bathroom etiquette.

Here are a few of the general rules that should be followed at all times:

Rule #1
As soon as you enter the restroom, turn off your #$$% cell phone.  If you fail to do so, I will flush the toilet continuously so that the party on the other end of your conversation will know EXACTLY where you are.

Rule #2
To those that feel the need to bring large stacks of paperwork into the bathroom stall, then proceed to WORK ON THEM while sitting on the pot - WTF?!!!

Rule #3
If you and a friend insist on using the 'Bathroom Buddy System', please refrain from discussing your respective boyfriends' faults through the stall walls.  The rest of us dont care.

Rule #4
Wash.  Your.  Hands.  PERIOD.
It doesnt matter if you only went into the stall to adjust your bra strap.
Wash your hands before leaving the bathroom.

Rule #5
Unless the bathroom is full, please maintain the 'One Empty Stall Between Customers' rule.  And no...unless you are a my child, I will not pass toilet paper to you.  Check before you sit down.

EDIT:
DISCLAIMER:  This list is obviously meant to be taken a bit 'tongue in cheek' and is intended to poke a little fun at some of the quirks we've witnessed in public bathroom situations. Its Friday!  Have some fun with it!

Re: Public Bathroom Etiquette

• Oooh I have a few.

** If you finish up the roll of toilet paper please don't be a lazy a** and just leave the empty roll sitting there, throw it in the trash, its seriously a few steps away

**If you funk it up, please SPRAY!

**Sanitary napkin wrappers go in the same depository as the used sanitary napkins, not on the toilet paper holder

**If we run into each other on the way to bathroom all conversation MUST cease once we enter the stall. No exceptions.

• Yes!! I'm adding these to my list since I am seriously considering posting these on the bathroom door at work.
  • OH WAIT and if you flush once and it did not go down it wont hurt to flush again!!! nobody wants to see what you just released(especially if you are on your monthly visit by your friend)  they send out emails like this almost every month at my job and its really sad..
  • GROSS!!!!
    I am TOTALLY on board with this rule!
  • My sister sent this gem:

Please refrain from any grunting, groaning, or other sounds effects while attending to your business.

• Some of these are a little silly. Do you really need to monitor whether the person in the stall next to you had to choose that stall due to the others being full?

There are some bathroom etiquette items that are important -- like washing your hands and leavings things tidy for the next person - but this list comes off a little nuts.

• Of course its 'silly'...but then, so is the behavior of some people in public situations.

(It's also meant to be taken with a sense of humor).

• okay the "And no...unless you are my child, I will not pass toilet paper to you" that's just mean! I've passed the toilet paper to a FEW girls before and I'm okay with that, sometimes the role looks full at a glance and even if they did make the mistake of not checking, I'd rather be a little nice and hand them something to wipe themself instead of having them try to shake off and walk out with a wet spot.  I assume their embarrassed enough just having to ask.

The rest of thes are pretty good though....I think there should be something about wiping the seat as well if they pee all over it....that is sooooo gross!

• image OceanRunner:

Some of these are a little silly. Do you really need to monitor whether the person in the stall next to you had to choose that stall due to the others being full?

There are some bathroom etiquette items that are important -- like washing your hands and leavings things tidy for the next person - but this list comes off a little nuts.

I agree...

Confused

• I really don't think about public bathrooms this much, but maybe that's because I don't work in an office.
  • You claimed this list was to be read "tongue in cheek," but then in another post you claim you are going to post it on the door, was that a joke too?

Rule #4 is the only useful one.

I don't care what other people do, such as talk on their cell phones or have conversations with one another. So what if they do? As long as I'm not doing it, I don't care who is.

And give the poor girl some toilet paper, it won't kill you.  

• I've been known to 'threaten' to staple reminders to my FI forehead, but have yet to do that either.  Wink
  • image Sabrina121:

The rest of thes are pretty good though....I think there should be something about wiping the seat as well if they pee all over it....that is sooooo gross!

Haven't you heard the Girls Bathroom Rule?

"If you sprinkle while you tinkle, be a sweetie, wipe the seatie".

• Agreed.

It absolutely drives me crazy if the bathroom is empty and you want to sit next to me, what do you want to do, hold hands?!  Maybe I have space issues, but it bothers me.

• If you sprinkle when you tinkle...LOL!

Dyson...I must have space issues too, because this one makes me wonder too!

• The worst part is when they sit in the stall next to you they always have the worst smells coming from them.

Really,  you couldn't give me a little break and poop in the stall at the other end of the empty bathroom?

My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • image OceanRunner:

Some of these are a little silly. Do you really need to monitor whether the person in the stall next to you had to choose that stall due to the others being full?

sorry, but i do have to agree that if you enter a multi-stalled bathroom (let's say 5 stalls), and there is only one other person in the bathroom, in a stall, then you shouldn't go into one right next to them if you can avoid it. 

• My only issue with not going into the next stall is that I have a very very bad bladder/kidney. When I have to go I have to go NOW. I sometimes don't have much warning that I need to urinate.

When that happens, the only thing going through my mind is "find the nearest stall!!"  I know going to a couple stalls down takes only a couple of seconds, but sometimes those couple of seconds really count. 

But if that's not the case, then yes, go to another stall.

• I love this list! It's funny but true. 

I agree that the whole "if you sprinkle while you tinkle, be a sweetie and wipe the seatie" needs to be on there too!

• image gwynnetx:
    image OceanRunner:

sorry, but i do have to agree that if you enter a multi-stalled bathroom (let's say 5 stalls), and there is only one other person in the bathroom, in a stall, then you shouldn't go into one right next to them if you can avoid it. 

In most public restrooms, I go into the first CLEAN stall I find.  I am not worried about whether the person in the next stall over is a loon.

My mother also has severe, chronic health problems that relate to digestive issues, so I do find this sort of silliness a bit offensive. You don't know what's going on with other people, so why in the world would you judge their bathroom habits when they don't actually relate to cleanliness and disease avoidance? She's had some nasty comments or looks from people who, I'm sure, have their little "tongue in cheek" lists, so so this sort of thing makes me sad.

• image OceanRunner:
    In most public restrooms, I go into the first CLEAN stall I find.  I am not worried about whether the person in the next stall over is a loon.

I agree.

I know this list is supposed to be funny, but it's just kooky. You are in there urinating, not eating your lunch. IT'S A BATHROOM. Its purpose is to be a place where people poop and pee, not to be a lavender-scented relaxation spa. The stuff that comes out of your body is just as gross and germy as the next person's waste, so why your pristine panties are in a bunch about it is a mystery to me.

• I've gotta vehemently disagreee w/ the 'spray' BS.

FOr the love of god, will people QUIT dumping noxious chemicals into the air in the bathroom?

I fled to the bathroom @ work last week because I was going to loose my lunch--migraine.

I had it under control and was done throwing up...and some MORON decided the hint of smellyness in the room was the end-of-the-world and poured a gallon of spray into the air.

Brilliant.  Triggering me to puke 3 more times because of the reaction to the smell sure improved the odor in there Confused

• image ibis:

image OceanRunner:

I agree.

I know this list is supposed to be funny, but it's just kooky. You are in there urinating, not eating your lunch. IT'S A BATHROOM. Its purpose is to be a place where people poop and pee, not to be a lavender-scented relaxation spa. The stuff that comes out of your body is just as gross and germy as the next person's waste, so why your pristine panties are in a bunch about it is a mystery to me.

Agreed.  I had no idea that people expect to maintain a least one stall between themselves and the next restroom user.  I am more than a little surprised that the OP is 37; I expected her to be around 20  Confused

In case you're wondering where everyone went: http://pandce.proboards.com/index.cgi
  • I just wanted everyone to know that if I am ever in the stall next to them, I will pass toilet paper or even a tampon to a sister in need.
  • To the folks who read the list and took it as intended (a bit of Friday silliness), I hope you enjoyed yourselves as I did.

To the poster (Ocean-something) with the mom who has chronic health problems- health problems suck.  I feel for your mom and hope her health improves.  I have close family members with health issues as well.

To those that found the list offensive.  Que sera sera.  By simple virtue of my ethnicity alone, the fact that I continue to breathe at all is enough to offend some.  To bad, so sad (for those individuals, that is).  

There is always SOMEone who will find SOMEthing offensive.  That's life.  I'll bet good money that every person on this board has (at some point) made a snap comment that could be considered offensive after observations made in everyday life.  To the brunettes who tell blonde jokes, I'm sure some blondes are offended. The list could go on forever. 

I could choose to spend my life being offended over the tiniest perceived slight.  (I'm offended that you're offended!!!  Yeaaaahhh. No.). 
    I think I'd be a pretty miserable person if I lived my life in that manner. 

I'm perfectly happy with me...and my opinion is the one that counts (for me). 

Enjoy your weekend!  I know I will!  Smile

• I didn't find it offensive, I found it ridiculous. There is a difference. And I am enjoying my weekend, thanks!
  • I'm with Ibis on this.

Also, why do I have to wash my hands if I go in there to fix a bra strap? I feel like I'm exposing myself to more germs by touching more parts of the public bathroom than if I go in, fix my bra, and leave quickly. I DO wash my hands usually in those situations but only because I know others are judging me and I wish I didn't feel that way/they would mind their own business.

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/rkd75g.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/23r1e34.jpg[/IMG]
  • image ibis:
    I didn't find it offensive, I found it ridiculous. There is a difference. And I am enjoying my weekend, thanks!

Ditto ridiculous...

This post didnt offend me, I just found it to be a little over the top...

• I have never even seen people on cell phones on the potty before or do paperwork.  But maybe my office is different.  The worst is places I have worked have 1 stall and a million people.  I have major health problems and sometimes using the bathroom was an emergency, and a long one at that.  I hate when people judge you for being in there so long.  Boo.  I totally hate when people plug up the toilet and just walk away, or pee all over the seat, like seriously how does that even happen?
  • I love this!  Seriously, sometimes you have to wonder about people based on their bathroom etiquette. 

However, I will pass toilet paper to anyone who needs it.